main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

University Hospitals Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by TheRandomMenace, Nov 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    That's cool BMack...keep us informed

Could Cindy/BMack arrange to meet SWChick(Rose) at a neutral location, or would you(Rose) feel more comfortable meeting us at the hospital?

As for costumed characters/handlers, I'm willing to dress up like I was for the soccer game (minus the "bathrobe"...that thing is pretty weak)

If you guys can get those costumes from Anrev and "Rite of Passage"...that would be great (I was kinda hoping for that) the ones I saw at the game looked great...and so did the pictures.

2. JediCandii

JediCandii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    I'll ask my parents if I can come, but I don't think that there should be a problem. After all, we are helping out the needy during the Christmas season. And I'll do everything in my power to drag along Rachael and Megan. You people will meet them someway or another, I promise you that :)!

3. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    If someone can't come get me, I could get dropped off closer to Cindy. A ride would be appreciated any way I can get it.

4. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Roseanna, if I may call you Roseanna, you are 19 and female. The problem isn't going to be picking you up, it's going to be the fight over who gets to pick you up. ;)

5. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Step off Random! I got dibs!!!!!!

Actually, I will possibly already be up in Cleveland (well, Avon anyways...) depending on the time we do it...

-b-

6. Tuebor

Tuebor Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2001
    Greetings from beyond the outer rim, for those of you who were at Meeting # 1...

Although I've not been present or posting for a while ( I've been rather disappointed, but that's another thread) I have been logging on and reading. This topic requires a response. I'll check my plans for that day, but I'll offer a suggestion either way. If you're looking for soimething to do at the hospital consider carrolling. If any members have access to books from school, university, or church it's a great way to brighten the season for anyone in a hospital. Regardless of denominatioal or personal beliefs there are few ways to equal the positive impact of singing for those wo can't be out. If there are enough people participating you don't need to be filled with vocalists or music majors. I also guarantee that anyone who can attend will feel better than they have in a long time.

PS If I can go I'll be leaving from the Portage Lakes area and would be available to assist in carpooling. References available upon request. :)

7. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    TUEBOR!!! I WAS WONDERING WHERE YOU WERE!!! Sup buddy... Your help would greatly be appreciated. While I am not opposed to singing (I am in the JCU University Concert Choir) I don't think the rest of the group is too adament about it. At the last meeting everyone wanted to stray away from doing that. But it would be wicked cool if you could get in your Darth Maul apparel that you were talking about so we could have a bad guy for the kids who like villains.

And as for you B... I'VE HAD DIBS ON ROSIE FOR A WHILE NOW... WHY DO YOU THINK SHE JUMPED OUT OF THE WOODWORK TO HELP WITH MY PROJECT? :D

8. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    uh... i don't think it's you, Random... maybe cuz it's a good cause? ;)

-b-

9. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Tuebor...good to hear from you, this thread is bringing out all the long-lost jedi!

I'm not opposed to singing...I just know my limitations. As I've said before "when I sing in the shower...the shower turns off" However, I think the idea of Christmas carrolling is a good idea (and I might have a ringer for us...AMY)

Boyz, don't start fighting over every girl that comes through here...and scaring off all the help! And I think Brian's right...it's the cause...not you ;)

EDIT: Random, are we confirmed for the 22nd? Detroit wants to know...and I need a specific date before I can ask the OSWCC, 501st, and Rebel Legion.

10. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    That would be very funny for the kids to see Jedi singing. [face_laugh] Anyone up for the Latin version of "Jingle Bells?" [face_mischief]

Tuebor, Portage Lakes is a lot closer to Canton, but if you can't pick up Roseanna (or can't come) and Brian is up in Cleveland, I guess that I can pick her up, but it would be nice if I could possibly meet you somewhere in Akron if you could Roseanna.

11. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    While I didn't actually talk to my contact still, I'm making progress. I went on the hospital's website and found my contact's office number, which is different from the number my dad gave me. By calling this number, I got a receptionist who was there, not a voicemail message. The receptionist got ahold of my contact, who was busy, and she said she would call me back sometime this afternoon. I should be able to get us confirmation one way or the other soon.

12. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    I was talking to my best friend while I was on the computer during my break today, and I told her that we were going to do this. This is the first day that she would be back home, and she expressed some intrest in it. She loves kids, and likes Star Wars a little bit. (She hasn't seen them all yet... I'm working on that part. ;))

13. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    "This party is over."

Well, I got a call back, and due to 1. confidentiality and 2. the critical health of the patients, they don't just let groups like us show up. They really did appreciate the offer though. I personally feel like I've let the group down... my first assignment and I can't complete it. "Not seeing these children brings cold feelings to my heart." :_|

Sorry guys... I wanted to do this more than anyone... but it looks like it's not going to happen. Any other suggestions for a service oriented project?

14. Jedi_BMack

May 25, 2002
    There's nothing in your power that you could have done to accomplish this 'mission'. It was apparently doomed from the start just due to an assumption that was made by the whole group.

Do or do not. We did not. That will not prevent us from doing in the future.

I trust that we will learn from this and not only use the contact we've just made but also pursue any further missions with the same sense of duty and vigor.

Translation: Give her a ring back, and see if she would know any other groups in the area or outreach progreams that we could get in touch with to volunteer out services.

-b-

15. Tuebor

Tuebor Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2001
    If this is the type of activity in which we're interested, give up we should not. find another hospital we could. Sorry. Help I could not. :) Another option is contacting local USMC and offer to assist with toys for tots in some manner. I know that other groups I've been involved with have gone to Barberton Citizens' Hospital and Akron Children's Hospital. Just suggestions if we're really jazzed about working with kids.

16. JediCandii

Jul 23, 2002
    I really hope that we can do something else, since I got really excited about it, and so did Megan and Rachael.

17. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    I'm sorry to hear about University Hospital, I can understand their concerns...but I agree that we shouldn't just abandon this idea because they do allow it.

And I wouldn't call this assignment "a failure" just yet Random. If you really want to do something like this...ask your contact about other groups, or even Akron Children's Hospital (as Tuebor mentioned) and see if anyone else could use our help.

18. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Why does it have to be a hospital. There has to be another place we could go.

19. JediCandii

Jul 23, 2002
    Where else could we go?

20. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    My actual contact called me back this last night and gave me the number of the person she thinks I should talk to... so the UH thing MIGHT still be possible, although I don't know the certainty... I'll try calling them when I get the chance.

21. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    There are plenty of ideas of places where we could do some good: Ronald McDonald House (is one that comes to mind)...coats for kids...make a wish foundation...there are plenty of non-hospital groups that could use our help.

Random, you might want to edit the title of this thread to something like "Christmas Charity - General Discussion" Just in case, our objective changes beyond just University Hospital (just click "edit" on your 1st post, and change the title)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.