main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

University of Glasgow?

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by ObiMcD, Dec 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiMcD

ObiMcD Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Just looking at the University of Glasgow being a potential candidate for when I graduate but I've got to know, does it have a good History program and a good Film/Television program? Thanks for your help.

2. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    Hey, I've just started at the University of Glasgow this year, and I can tell you the History department is pretty good, and the Film and Television course is considered the best in the country by many. I'm doing history right now, actually, though I had applied for Film and Television. Trust me, it's the place to be.

3. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    Where abouts is it?

4. MrDankDonk

MrDankDonk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2001
    where is the University of Glasgow ? [face_laugh]

hmmmm....... I've a suspicion that you'll not be getting in there anyway.

ps
    any Glasgow Uni people out there, listen to SubCity Radio tomorrow (Tues 10th) 8pm -10pm
    I'm on doing a session with the mighty Amphetameanies !

5. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    I know where it is. It's the building with the tower. Am I right?

6. darth_libido

darth_libido Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 16, 2004
    glasgow uni?????? i went to rsamd, we had a good theatre history course.

7. EwanMcGregorsLibido

EwanMcGregorsLibido Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    RSAMD ?

my sax player is still studying there.

// eyes previous posters screen-name with some suspicion

8. darth_libido

darth_libido Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 16, 2004
    don't worry, i left there three years ago. good college though. a sax player there? well, you certainly know talent when you see it!

9. Lizardmonkey

Lizardmonkey Jedi Master star 2

May 21, 2002
    If you want to get into the broadcast media I would say a uni course might be less of an asset than actualy hoofing it round campus/hospital/corporate radio stations, TV stations, etc. and hawking for work experience. One of the reasons the industry is so elitist is that you almost always encounter self-serving (both in positive and negative ways) elites - sororities and fraternities of engineers, performers, writers and others who have been working together since their early twenties.
    Stand-up comedy - if yer guid - is an excellent avenue into writing and performing in any media - I cite our very own Sebulba, Lewis Macleod (sic) or 'Shaun of the Dead's lead actor Simon Pegg.
    This is not a condemnation of Uni courses, its just a better idea, usually, to be trained by those in the job while on the job - not by lecturers (and I cast no aspersions upon their philanthropic pursuit of academia) sitting talking about it and getting you to write conjecturous essays. Plus, lecturers are probably still, desperately, trying to grasp a media gig for themselves. All I'll say is, look at Jade ****ing Goody and Les Battersby. People gave them jobs because of experience and who they knew - and no uni in the land would have them.
    In the words of Hemingway "a writer writes". If you are a performer, perform, if a director, get a camcorder and do it for god's sake.
    Degrees are not Holy Grails - certainly not in the media! I should know, I've got one of the effing things.

10. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    Good and valid point. What's a bit of paper that says you can write an essay and remember a few facts going to actually help you with? Or will you magically be able to write great material on it? :)

11. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    some assesment tasks are so useless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.