main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Unknown Roads: Qui-Gon's Journey to Knighthood **Completed 4/3**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by The Musical Jedi, Feb 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    A going-away present. See you in a week. :) Please keep this up!
    ~ ~ ~ ~

Qui-Gon sat up, a cold sweat covering his body. He looked around, disoriented to find himself back in his room, entangled in the blankets on his bed. The padawan struggled to free himself, sliding off the bed with a crash. The pain that shot through his shoulder calmed him, bringing him back to where he was.

The dream had been aberrant. He was in a large area, a labyrinth of platforms running between levels of what might have been a reactor of some kind. He was fighting something, something purely evil, and there was another man with him, someone he admired very much. He wasn?t sure if he was the master or the padawan, although it didn?t seem to matter any more.

The evil thing fought well, and he was besting Qui-Gon. He felt he couldn?t fight any more, but he continued to push. He couldn?t cease to fight. He had to win, or, if nothing else, the evil one had to be killed.

Then, the world seemed to stop. He was hit, run through on a saber ? or was it the other man? The other man, the one fighting with him, cried out as though he were the wounded one, and Qui-Gon fell. The pain was agonizing, though he couldn?t say whether it was emotional or physical. Then, he had awoken in his bed.

Qui-Gon kicked away the blankets, laying his cheek against the cool wood floor. He was overheated, and heat seemed to radiate from his body. He closed his eyes, reaching for his connection to the Force. The Jedi found his link, using it to anchor himself back into reality. It pulsated beneath the thrum of his own consciousness comfortingly.

There is no death, there is the Force. Qui-Gon probed farther beyond his usual restraints, pressing beyond his comfort zone within the Living Force. He found the larger entity, something all encompassing and all understanding that he wasn?t accustomed to perceiving. There, he could sense the memories and perceptions of all the creatures that had existed before him, the things that had linked them the Force. The Living Force was like a dimmer reflection of this tide of information, only that of what existed in the here and now. It also was more constant, as unwavering as the Living Force was ever changing.

If there is no death, then Riley?s essence is here somewhere, Qui-Gon decided, delving farther in. He could feel the connection to his physical self lessening, being pulled taunt as he moved away. It was one of the dangers of deep meditation; to go too far was to run the risk of never being able to return. However, Qui-Gon was far from that point.

He drifted through, experiencing a thousand different thoughts and memories, snippets of worlds and lives that no longer existed, or perhaps existed far from Qui-Gon?s world. Nothing was familiar, though all was interesting. The experience of countless lifetimes existed here, all for the taking if one could understand it. This was part of what the Council was dedicated to discovering; the patterns within the waves of the Force.

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Poor Qui, being given that awful dream. :( :( Somehow from his comment in TPM about wishing that nobody could kill a Jedi I always got the feeling he knew he wasn't long for this world.

I loved how you explained he "probed farther beyond his usual restraints, pressing beyond his comfort zone within the Living Force" in his search to prove to himself there was no death, only the Force.

Thanks for the gift of the post and take care, be well and most of all have fun!!!! :) :)

3. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Fascinating! I liked the part where Qui-Gon was with a man that he admired very much, although he couldn't tell if he were master or padawan. And that the details were vague and he couldn't tell who'd been injured; himself or the other man.

So, if Qui-Gon can experience all of this, a thousand different thoughts and memories, snippets of worlds and lives that no longer existed ... The experience of countless lifetimes, then why can't he find his master in there somewhere? I'm not criticising, just wondering, and maybe hoping. I did like the idea of the Council working to discover the pattern within the waves of the Force. Sounds more interesting than sitting in meetings all day or taking reports from returning knights, and more Jedi-like somehow, too. That would be the kind of Council, perhaps, where Qui-Gon might feel at home, not the bureaucratic kind.

Hope you have a fun, safe trip!

4. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Gotta up this for those that may have missed the last post. :) :)

5. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Now I know Musical's on vacation, but she's got a surprise for you. :) :) A post she left with me to put up!! YAY!!!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Time passed, and Qui-Gon became frustrated and tired. He had no idea how long he had been this deeply taken in, only to have found nothing. He began to withdraw, when it came upon him. As the other memories had pervaded, this one seemed to swarm his senses, making him see what had been viewed, hearing, smelling, and to a lesser degree, feeling what the person had felt who really experienced this.

The view before him was a younger version of himself; shorter, lanky, and thin. His brown hair was a short mop, normally unmanageable. His younger self darted through the small gathering of people, then Qui-Gon noticed he was at the edge of the mats in the arena used for the sparring competitions. There was a surge of pride, not his own, within him.

Qui-Gon watched the fateful match between him and another padawan, a boy whose name had long since been forgotten. He could remember now, seeing something he remembered parts intimately well. His name was Dane Na?Belm. They both fought well, although Qui-Gon won the match. Another burst of gratification came from the memory, and then a bit of nervousness. Qui-Gon was absorbed into the memory, hearing the thoughts of the person he was existing within for the moment.

?Qui-Gon Jinn, will you be my padawan?? The boy turned, a look of surprise and awe across his features melting into a self-conscious smile. A smile creased my face at him, though I still felt a little nervous. I had trained three padawans successfully, and they were yet to know the flutter of uncertainty that filled a master as well as the padawan. ?I would be honored if you would have me as your master.? He pulled off his tunic, damp from the impressive spar he?d just fought. The poor boy seemed surprised that anyone would want to take him on, not aware of his own abilities.

?I would love to be your padawan,? the boy replied. His chest still heaved from the exertions of the day. He looked shy all of a sudden. I was curious at this, given his seeming self-confidence. His face took on a reflective look. ?I have a question, though, Master Giovan.?

I watched as he pulled on the clean tunic, self-consciously wiping away sweat from his face. ?I will try to answer it for you, Qui-Gon, though I can?t promise I can.? The boy had dark brown hair and intelligent gray-blue eyes that were currently shining as bright as his lightsaber blade. There would be many questions, and I knew that I couldn?t answer them all, especially the most important ones.

?Why did you pick me? There are many others who are older than I am.?

?I picked you because the Force seems to be leading me in that direction. You are intelligent and graceful, Qui-Gon, an excellent fighter for your age. That is a good thing for our pairing, since sparring has never been my strong suit. There is little you need to learn and little I could teach you about that. However, you are impulsive and strong-willed, am I right?? I smiled slightly as he shifted nervously at that. ?I know that you have broken rules when you think it is necessary. I can teach you how to use the rules to your advantage, as well as know when it is truly time to break them. I can teach you how to trust another being when you need to and learn from you mistakes. I can also teach you how to lose gracefully. Sometimes when you lose, padawan, you win.? I winked broadly at Qui-Gon. ?You will go far, my padawan, and train a great man to be a Jedi Master, if you learn what I will teach you. You are intelligent and brave, Qui-Gon Jinn.? I wondered if what I said really had any meaning, or if I was just trying to comfort the padawan. My padawan. But they rang true, the Force showing what was possible. It would be a good partnership, Qui-Gon and me. A wash of pleasure came over me.

May he never forget my pride in him for who he is and what he becomes. He will be a great Jedi someday, and I will always be here to see that, somehow.

6. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Oh, wow, what a gift from the Force, seeing a memory through his master's eyes. Great idea, Musical!

7. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Wonderful :) (ikeep saying that i know) Qui needs to remember his Masters love for him. Thanks leaving a post for us. 7

8. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    UP !

Musical Jedi - when are you coming back ?
    Miss you much!

the Admiral

9. jedi7

Jan 8, 2002
  10. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Some scary foreshadowing there in Qui-Gon's dream. I liked how he remembered becoming Riley's padawan, but how he was also outside of himself as if he was someone else, as if he were seeing himself and that day as his master saw him. Could his master be trying to send a message to him from the Force? Hope you're enjoying your vacation.

11. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm back! :) No tree problems or broken limbs. I didn't even fall once! Thanks for keeping this up! A post soon, either tonight or tomorrow morning, depending on when I crash... Also, I've essentially finished the story. ;)

12. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    After this, only two posts to the end of the story. Get your comments/criticisms ready. Also, there will be an unofficial poll for my next story. I have an idea, but I don't know exactly which way to go with it.
    ~~~~~~~~~

?You look better.?

Qui-Gon glanced up at the voice, grinning impishly at the girl before him. Aislinn smiled hesitantly, obviously looking a little uncomfortable. He gestured for her to sit in one of the chairs at the small table he occupied in the Archives, pushing away some of the tomes and the datapads on the table. ?That?s good to hear, though I didn?t know I ever looked badly,? he replied a little dryly, although his eyes danced in amusement.

?Perhaps not looked,? Aislinn amended with a shrug. ?But there?s a difference.?

He nodded slowly, digesting that information. After a moment, his face took on a curious look, and he asked, ?Why did you send Master Yoda to look for me?? He stopped, not waiting to ask the next question in his mind. [ii]Why did she even care?[/ii] Yoda?s words had hit home. He was trying not to keep people at arm?s length.

Aislinn shifted uncomfortably in her chair, studying her hands for a moment before turning her gray eyes upon him. ?I thought about what you said. About hope. You were right, that I had the opportunity to see him again. The fear was overwhelming me, and I let it. But now I see that there is a reason to this, just as there is a reason for what?s happened to you. I have to let it make me stronger by yielding and learning. By remaining unbending, I?d be destroyed. When you walked away in the Room of a Thousand Waterfalls, I was afraid that you would do something rash. You were quieter and unreceptive. I consider you a friend, if a new one, and I didn?t want you to come to further harm.? She shrugged without looking apologetic.

?I understand,? he replied, smiling slightly for a moment. ?I suppose I should be grateful.?

Aislinn gave him a wry look in return. ?I suppose that?s as much of a thank you I?m going to get from you, isn?t it,? she retorted amiably. The padawan leaned back more comfortably in her chair, giving a sweeping glance to the pile of data cards on the table. ?What is all this? Studying for exams??

?I don?t have to take them,? Qui-Gon answered. ?My teachers gave the Council such a glowing report that in the stress of my situation it was deemed unneeded. This is information on Ieve. You really made me understand as well. The memory of my master will always be in the Force and within myself. What I do after his death is the proof of whether I have learned anything during my training. He had faith in me, so now I must have faith in myself. And I think I have learned and can trust myself, at least more. I then waited to find out more about your situation. Perhaps return the favor.?

An odd look passed over Aislinn?s face. ?Thank you for your concern, Qui-Gon, but it?s misplaced as of now. Master Yoda contacted me earlier this morning. He?s coming home soon. The rebels released him on some terms with the other side. They are going to examine him and then send him home. My master is coming home.? Hope shone across her face at this thought, and Qui-Gon leaned over and gave her a strong hug.

?That?s wonderful news,? he told her sincerely. When he pulled away, tears of joy clouded her gray eyes.

?I can hardly believe it. I don?t know when he?ll be back, but he will. It will be all right in the end.? Aislinn smiled again, and Qui-Gon returned the look, although he couldn?t help thinking that it might not be all right in the end. However, it was all right now, and that was enough.

13. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    This is rather discouraging.

14. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Hey you're back!!! Hope you had lots of fun Musical. Don't get discouraged. :) :)

I loved that Aislinn considered Qui a friend and was concerned enough to send Master Yoda to him.

Only 2 more posts??? Oh no!!!! :D :D

15. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Only two more posts to the end of the story? But--but--but I thought we were just getting started! *blinks in confusion* This really seems abrupt to me. I don't know how I got the idea this was going to be a long, gentle tale of them getting closer and helping each other, but that's what I was expecting, even after that scene where Qui-Gon cried in Aislinn's arms. So that's it, huh? Her master's coming back, Qui-Gon's no longer needed, he's learned the thing he needs to learn, and there's nothing more to say?

*sigh*

Sorry to be such a misguided reader. And sorry to keep you waiting on the feedback. It's been the most extraordinarily busy week. I've scarcely had time to read, let alone write. I know what it's like to hope for feedback; I really should try to do better.

16. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Okay, feedback at this point is good. Does it seem abrupt? I don't want to seem like it's dragging out forever... Hmmm, perhaps I ought to rethink this. I'll have to mull over this. More opinions on the subject will help. ;) That's why readers are important.

17. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, I've read back over it again, and it's not as abrupt as I thought it was. I think it was your style that made me think we were in for a long haul here. In many scenes, I saw a leisurely, detailed style of writing, one that led me to believe that there would be many small steps. But Aislinn seems to have let go of some of her grief and anger, and Qui-Gon has certainly let go of his, and now that they've both changed, there's no reason to drag the story out. Or maybe it was only my hope that it would be long and slow, with both of them changing gradually.

Will her master be all right when he gets back, or will she need friendship when she sees what a state he's in? Looking forward to more!

18. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Hmmmm.... I hadn't thought about that.... *grabs notebook and begins scribbling* Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

19. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Okay, so here is the next post. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do beyond this... Again, feedback would be helpful. Thanks for giving me your thoughts, Jane Jinn. :)
    ~ ~ ~ ~

?Come on, you can attack harder than that!? Qui-Gon advanced on Aislinn, brandishing his saber with a flourish. She was standing a short distance away, in a defensive position. A faint smile was on her face, an expression of confidence and determination, though not necessarily arrogance. They had been sparring during the evenings for a few days now, both needing to expend pent-up stress. Qui-Gon had experienced a great release all day. Although the grief was still there, it wasn?t as oppressive as it had been. Perhaps Yoda had been right. Maybe he had just been denying his pain in an attempt to be a better Jedi.

?I can?t beat you by sheer skill,? Aislinn replied lightly, focusing on his advance. ?You have a reputation for your talent in saber work. I?ll have to find another way.? Qui-Gon lashed out towards her, trying to lick her shoulder with the tip of his saber. With a grin, she parried the shot and made her own advance towards his side, which he easily countered.

Qui-Gon shook his head in disbelief, trying to find an opening on her right side, her non-saber hand side. ?I?m no better than any other Jedi my age,? he replied humbly. Aislinn continued to block the hits he attempted. Then she flipped over his head, dropping into a crouch when she landed and making for a strike on his calves. She scored a burn on his right calf, but he had stepped out of the way with a quiet curse before her follow-through.

He made a low sweep, coaxing her out of her defensive crouch. Aislinn jumped low, earning her own burn on her shin as he brought the saber out of the sweep. She made a quick spin, scoring a hit on his arm. However, Qui-Gon returned the favor, faking a hit and marking her. ?No better!? she snorted. ?You are the best fighter this Temple has seen in well over a decade of standard years, and you haven?t even grown into your full potential! Didn?t you ever listen to your saber instructor??

?He never said such high praise of me in my presence. Preserving my modesty, I suppose,? Qui-Gon replied. He advanced again, pushing her off the practice mat. She scowled, side-stepping to get around him. They continued the spar, Aislinn meeting Qui-Gon?s strength with a swiftness he couldn?t match. The pair fought rather evenly, bringing out each other?s weaknesses and looking for the advantage. It was rather hard to find for either.

Yoda stepped into the arena, taking care to make as little noise as possible. Behind him followed an older man, perhaps fifty, with muted red hair. He was a little gaunt, looking worn and tired, but content. A short red beard outlined his strong features, as well as framing brilliant blue eyes that were edged with haggardness. Yoda indicated for him to remain silent, and they watched the interaction with curiosity. The shorter master nodded with satisfaction as the taller?s eyes twinkled in amusement at the banter between Aislinn and Qui-Gon.

?You can?t retreat forever,? Qui-Gon said with a grin, chasing her leisurely across the mat as she backed away. He gathered strength and jumped in the air, performing a tight somersault before landing in front of her, slashing at her tunic. Aislinn was taken off guard and took the slash gamely, blocking his next attempt for a hit.

They battled on in silence for a while, Qui-Gon catching sight of the two newly arrived Jedi, although he had no time to indicate he had seen them except for a quick nod of the head. Aislinn didn?t notice that movement at all, too caught up in one of his more impatient flurries of blows. She parried them, managing to make her own strike across his belly before she flipped over his head. When she landed, she caught sight of the two Jedi in the entrance of the arena. Completely astonished, she froze, staring at them. Qui-Gon turned with a jab to the neck, a feeble attempt at a kill point since he was

20. Gr-Adm-Thrawn

Gr-Adm-Thrawn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2002
    Musical jedi

Wonderful - as always .

that last paragraph must be my favorite. So clear and yet so intense.

Wonderful

the Admiral

21. jedi7

Jan 8, 2002
    I agree with the Admiral, WONDERFUL! 7

22. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I just realized I didn't update the tagline of this story. [face_blush] Thank you much, Jedi7 and Admiral! Anyway, I think I'll just keep the story as I have it now. If you want more of my writing, you'll have to check out my next story.... ;)

I know, I know, shameless plug. [face_devil]

23. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Love the story and especially Qui-Gon's realizations at the end about emotions and the code. But will happen to Qui-Gon now? Does he go on to take his trials, is there still more for him to learn before that happens? Will they find a master to help him over that last part? Did you say something about a new story? ;)

24. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    As much as I want to call for more of this story I absolutely loved that post. The sparring was awesome and the banter amusing. The way Aislinn reacted or should I say didn't react to Qui-Gon's final blow but ran to her Master brought tears of joy to my eyes and Qui-Gon's thoughts at the end were both profound and realistic.

A perfect end!! :) :)

A new story??? When, where??? Whatever it will be I'm sure it'll be fabulous and I'll be watching for it!!

Thanks for sharing this one with us Musical.

25. SilentJediWriter

SilentJediWriter Jedi Master star 1

Mar 28, 2002
    Wow, Musical, great post!! Is it the end? Are you going to have a sequel? What's going to happen to Qui-Gon?

I'm a new reader, and FINALLY found this story, and am glad that there are some young Qui-Gon stories. I don't see a lot of them. I really like this one.

So, what's going to happen? Is this the end, or what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.