main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous" & "Lord of War" by Abel & Joe (SWI #86)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Super_Battle_Droid, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Grand Moff Grand Moff Grand Moff!

Those Kaleesh are not beautiful creatures, are they?

2. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Oogley. Wait till you see the New EG to Aliens.

3. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    "A Limerick for Grievous"
    By Kudzu

Qymaen jai Sheelal was a warlord
    Whose manner and tactics were forward
    His face was not pretty
    And by the end of this ditty
    He'd been changed into an evil cyborg

4. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    I was wondering if anybody has gotten there star wars insider issue late or not at all becuse I have been to several book stores in the scottsdale area and they have not gotten it in yet. Heck, it's the 16th and I was at a store a couple days ago and they still did not have it.

5. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Bravo Kudzu! =D= =D=

You also get a :eek: for rhyming "cyborg" so unconventionally.

6. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Hey, Halagad could you tell us alittle about what Grevious was like Pre-Psycho surgery?

7. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    While subscribers are getting Insider #86 already, it's not supposed to be on newsstands until the 23rd, I believe.

That fact notwithstanding, I found a rack-full of 86s at my local Barnes & Noble today.

8. Joe_Corroney

Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG star 2 VIP

May 29, 2003
    I've seen them around town here already, picked up a few extra at the grocery store today. I'll be selling them through my website store this weekend (autographed if you're interested).

9. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    I'd say there are more or less three distinct phases of Grievous' life: pre- and par-Ronderu (noble stage), post-Ronderu (savage warlord), and post-cyborg (unfeeling monster).

Here are some terms used to describe Qymaen from both Story of Grievous articles:

"A brilliant but barbaric man."

"[Qymaen] had a sharp mind and a knack for marksmanship."

"Despite pride, deadliness and a burgeoning racial intolerance, Grievous was at one time a noble figure." (Interestingly, this was also altered from the original, where I simply called Qymaen a racist. This was excised completely from Unknown Soldier, and modified into the current description you see here for Lord of War).

"If Grievous was a ruthless military commander before, as a cyborg he became genuinely soulless."

"the Huk War that raged unabated throughout his life gutted what was left of his empathy."

The origins of Grievous' racism (he deprecates Ugnaughts and Wookiees in different sources simply for being of their respective race) are understandable if not justified: the Yam'rii, foreigners, had been enslaving and killing his people since before he could remember.

Pre-cyborg Grievy was definitely a passionate individual: it was his anger at the Huks as a boy that led him to become a freedom fighter, and his actions suggest that he probably cared pretty deeply about Ronderu.

Take care,
    Abel

10. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    "A Limerick for Kalee"
    By Kudzu

On Kalee they hunted the mumuus
    Their weapons did give them great boo-boos
    With Lig swords and spears
    They drove them to tears
    Until Huks came and cried, "We'll shoot you!"

11. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Don't know if anyone has asked this yet, but any chance we'll ever learn about any of the Grievous' many children? :confused:

JD.

12. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I hope some day someone writes a novel(s) pertaining to Sheelal and the Huk Wars.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Mara Jade, Ken, Shira Brie...am I forgetting anyone?

Three down, twenty-seven to go.

14. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Ken?

OMIGOD

GRIEVOUS = TRICLOPS!!!111

:eek:

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    And his third eye is...Maul's?!?! ;) :p

( ::for some reason, suddenly had the vision of Maul-as-Krang:: )

16. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    I believe so. I think there are actually two of them.

[face_thinking]

Good luck with that Valin! Those guys are actually really cool looking. I'm a sucker for dark/shadow troopers. Then again, isn't everybody?

Thanks. Yeah, I remember those early classes, what a nightmare. Modern French philosophy at 9 in the morning? Pain....

[:D]

Take care,
    Abel

17. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Ray Park's voice, maybe.

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Halagad this is pure speculation and only tangentially related to Grevious but could you tell us who you think were the best Generals of the Clone Wars?

19. danielc56

danielc56 Jedi Master star 1

May 2, 2004
    Abel & Joe, thanks for the great amount of detail you put into these works. This is the kind of effort that's going to keep fans interested in Star Wars long after Episode III's release.=D=

Is the thread link you posted the best place on the official site to convey our appreciation? I looked around for a feedback e-mail or comment submission page, but couldn't find either. Any other suggestions?

danielc56

20. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    You know, I hadn't event thought of that. I guess these things get embedded in your brain after watching a movie a gajillion times. Strange.

Am I the one who gets to say it?

Ahhhem:

"But it was so artistically done..."

That was Joe... sneaky saboteur.

Ooh, neat idea. I think we do get a hint of the species in one the Thrawn Trilogy sourcebooks. They're out in the Unknown Regions.

Also an interesting idea.

I definitely don't think Grievous ever fit into the hierarchy beneath Tann, that's for certain. I think Grievous was still in "developing experiment" status while Tann had her day in the sun. That isn't to say she wasn't capable. In fact, there might have been the threat that, oh Tann's doing such a fine job, do we really need this Grievous character? Then of course, she got iced and that was that. San Hill might've even had a hand in that somehow.

Other than Wayland, just Utapau. The Geonosis thing is a mistake that's contradicted within the same article. I'm actually going to see if I can get one of the StarWars.com folks to fix that.

Situation normal... everything's perfectly alright now, we're all fine here now thank you.

21. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    I asked you earlier about Quarmall, to which you replied "Heh, heh, heh..." So, I looked the name up on tf.n's unofficial encyclopedia. The Quarmall that came up had such an extremely different backstory that I'm assuming that their two different characters, or that the older one is from a noncanonical source.

22. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Thanks daniel, that means a lot. Joe and I are both huge Star Wars fans, obviously, and the effort we put into our work tends to reflect that. We hope to keep Star Wars going as long as we can. :D

Now that you mention it, the VIP free-for-all thread is probably the best place, since Sue Rostoni and the StarWars.com folks regularly hang out there. If you even just cut and pasted your short message above, that would be terrific.

Thanks for your sincere appreciation and effort, daniel!

Take care,
    Abel

23. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Boy, when you put it that way I sound like a total jerk. [face_laugh]

Good ol' Bob V. I'd say what's written in the CUSWE is a summation of one possible interpretation of Quarmall's story, and obviously the POV taken there has been canonically closed off.

Anyone have Gamemaster Screen for Second Edition?

24. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Halagad_Ventor: Ooh, neat idea. I think we do get a hint of the species in one the Thrawn Trilogy sourcebooks. They're out in the Unknown Regions.

UR41-284? Thrawn just levels a 70km radius around the museum district to take out the main "village cluster" and punish the disobedient natives, except that he leaves the museum district (and its art!) intact. It's implied they're pretty primitive, too...

Is that "destroying a world"? Does he even need to, in those circumstances? [face_worried]

... and for what it's worth, that entire little story box suggests a surprising level of detailed knowledge of Imperial activities in the UR on the part of New Republic authorities. I'm tempted to dismiss it as propaganda or misinformation...

[face_whistling]

So, yes, Virginia, there's a chance it was the Kaleesh... :)

- The Imperial Ewok

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Remember Admiral Krennel used to be in Thrawns' task force. Also one of karrde's people had his world conquered in TLC.

Even during Thrawn's height they weren't completely lacking information.

Voren Naal was a historian, not a propagandist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.