main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous" & "Lord of War" by Abel & Joe (SWI #86)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Super_Battle_Droid, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Forehead? :p

2. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    From one of the fans X_X
    "Also also, I need to start working on my Grievous' past fic. Now that the official information is released...let's not go there. They totally killed his character, and gave him a Sue for a lover. basically, they pulled a Vader on him.

Frankly, I'm annoyed that more people don't see the Sueishness in Ronderu. Gypsy from the South Pole, female warrior in a patriarchal society, claims to be a descendent of the Gods, becomes Grievous' TWU WUB, dies on him, and causes him to adopt the name "Grievous." Because, like, he's grieving.

NO. IT'S ALL WRONG. Grievous is supposed to be BAD***, damnit! Not a weepy, wangsty, TWU WUB-falling weakling. Geez!"

Although I don't exactly agree. Keeping them anonymous for safety reasons.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The problem with Sue is most people seem to think Sue equal

"Cliche"

I loved it personally.

Then again I love Tahari and Tahl.

4. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Heh, Grievous and most other Star Wars main characters reek of Mary-Sue...but that doesn't mean they aren't interesting. Good point.

5. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Somebody have a bad Valentine's Day?

Seriously, though, sure Ronderu is uber. So are Grievous' Kaleesh elite. But the relationship between Qymaen and Ronderu was a specific kind of ambiguous. Are they boyfriend and girlfriend? Maybe. Are they half-sister and half-brother? Maybe.

Are they both?

Well... maybe.

When I wrote the relationship between these two, what I was actually thinking about was the story of Gilgamesh and Enkidu. (For those of you who have the Insider, you can see that in the caption that shows the two characters, they're protecting a temple called "Shrupak," which is my truncated version of "Shurupak," the city from which the wise man Utnapishtim hailed). Of course, I didn't want a straight rip off, so I substituted a woman for Enkidu.

So, is Ronderu a Mary Sue? If you want to read it that way, sure. IMO, there's definitely love involved, but you're selling yourself short if you choose to understand it as romantic before you do Platonic. The relationship between Grievous and Ronderu is best interpreted in one of five ways, with the Mary-Sue version being the last on my list:

1) Unknowable with either of the options provided by me being likely inaccurate
    2) Lovers and half-siblings
    3) Best friends
    4) Half-siblings
    5) Lovers

Chalk up a dissatisfying Mary Sue interpretation to a poverty of imagination and experience on the part of the reader.

6. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    That was what I recognized: Gilgamesh and Enkidu. I knew there was something.

7. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    I wish people would look up "Mary Sue" before they throw the term around....

Seriously, if Abel's wish fulfillment is a scaly, reptilian warrior-woman who likes killing bugs....then, terms like "Mary Sue" are the least of his worries. :p

8. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    You don't know me!

:p

9. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Deal! :)

[face_thinking] I heard about that dude. Got links to any screen captures?

It might be, except, in line with my earlier post, I think succubus is too much sexual suggestion and too little of a literal nightmare, as per the Sheelal parable. IMO, in this case Incubus is more gender neutral by virtue of being less gender specific, and that's what I was going for.

Grand Moff 4-8C always weens!

With Insider being spotted on newsracks all over the place, it's probably cool now.

Lovely!

Menspocky?

Anyway, I'm learning not to be surprised by you, kecen. :)

That was ingenius.

Take care,
    Abel

10. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Is it bad that my entire knowledge of Gilgamesh is from the Star Trek episode "Darmok"?

In true Star Wars fashion, incest is the second option on the list. :p

11. Joe_Corroney

Joe_Corroney Artist: -Empire -HNN -Insider -RPG star 2 VIP

May 29, 2003
    True, but I'd rather not bite the hand that feeds and give Hyperspace the exclusive on the images for the time being. Look for the art to pop back up by next weekend hopefully.

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Urge to kill...for copies...rising.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Most of the new FX in THX-1138 weren't so bad (they were so blatent to someone like me, who has only seen parts of the original before), up until that car chase sequence were you suddenly have the tunnels magicly open up into CGI Chase World before re-entering the tunnels ;)

14. arf_maul

arf_maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    *Waves hand* This is not the Durge you are looking for...

[image=http://swg.allakhazam.com/images/Durge.jpg]

Yeah ignore the Trandoshan in the stormtrooper armor :rolleyes:

According to swg.allakhazam.com:
    This Durge is not the Original Durge, but merely an imposter who has taken the name of Durge to try to Scare off Boba.

Though other fans say that the game itself indicates it might be the real Durge, based on Fett's reaction amongst other things.

Either way, it's a bit of a mess that could benefit from Abel's touch :)

Check out this thread from the Star Wars Galaxies forums to see what the players thought:
    Durge?!? OMG! ROTFLMAO!!

15. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    :confused: Very strange.

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Simple.

It's another Durge.

;-)

17. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Aye, but am I misremembering, or aren't her Wookiee pets - and the pleasure she takes in having them - only in the original in Poly...?

Well, considering that Qwi Xux is a direct visual quote of Diahann Carol's character, I suppose it's possible that it's an Imperial superweapon... :eek: :p

If it's good enough for Troy Denning... [face_laugh]

*the sounds of Barabel laughter interrupt the thread*

- The Imperial Ewok

18. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    hehe :D

***10 years later***

Pellaeon sits in his private quarters watching his wall decorations when an officer walks in.

"Sir?"

No reaction.

"Sir? Ahem.. Sir?"

Again no reaction, then the officers eyes follow Pellaeons and see the piece of art in front of the Grand Admiral P.

=A weird mask with glowing red eyes=

"Sir.. I hope this is not what I think it is?"

Pellaeon then responds: "It was his last wish... isn´t it cute? These Eyes.."

***this short story is called: The Recycling of Thrawn***

19. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    "That star found me somewhat... indigestable."

20. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    Seems like he also lost a little muscle mass ;)

21. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>When I wrote the relationship between these two, what I was actually thinking about was the story of Gilgamesh and Enkidu. (For those of you who have the Insider, you can see that in the caption that shows the two characters, they're protecting a temple called "Shrupak," which is my truncated version of "Shurupak," the city from which the wise man Utnapishtim hailed). Of course, I didn't want a straight rip off, so I substituted a woman for Enkidu. <<<

Nice reference. Nevertheless, X-wing Alliance got there first with the twin Pursuer Enforcement Ships, the Gilgam and the Enkidu. [face_thinking]

>>>It might be, except, in line with my earlier post, I think succubus is too much sexual suggestion and too little of a literal nightmare, as per the Sheelal parable. IMO, in this case Incubus is more gender neutral by virtue of being less gender specific, and that's what I was going for. <<<

Makes sense. :)

>>>Grand Moff 4-8C always weens! <<<

He already has. Results may be forthcoming...

>>>*Waves hand* This is not the Durge you are looking for...<<<

Durge is Master Chief?!? :eek: :p

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  23. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Ummm... I think that's a fanon-thing.

24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Doesn't make it better.

"Look guys!! I'm Obi-Wan!!! OMGLOL!!!"

25. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Boy, it's pouring in Cali today.

And no jokes about how I probably mean a light drizzle. :p

Engrossing, eh? Thanks 2ndQuest. Obviously, I like playing with the whole droid consciousness thing, and Necrosis allowed for a unique opportunity, a nice Buddhist-Frankenstein angle. [face_hypnotized]

Sounds good to me! :)

Good questions, actually. This reference is the only part of the article that I had no hand in writing. I think Ichee snuck it in there, so I'll have to ask him.

Did that make it in? To this day, I still haven't seen my Fact Files work. :mad:

Will we see Atha Prime again? Well, at one point, AthaxPrime was my AOL screenname, and you know how nostalgic I am...

You've only scratched the surface.

That's cool, razzy. They seem to fit surprisingly well, you just gotta fill in the blanks.

A masterpiece. I'll see about adding a link to this one on my Grievous Vs. Thrawn blog too.

EDIT: Done!

Take care,
    Abel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.