main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous" & "Lord of War" by Abel & Joe (SWI #86)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Super_Battle_Droid, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Thrawn's an odd bird he is.

Pellaeon: Your wife is on the holo.

Thrawn's wife: Oh look, Junior did a finger painting.

Thrawn: Oooo, I see by this little line here that there's a vulnerability on the Chiss Ascendency's left flank.

Pellaeon: Sir, you're doing it again.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [face_blush]
    Don't worry; I can come up with far better jokes about California than that.

3. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>Boy, it's pouring in Cali today.

And no jokes about how I probably mean a light drizzle.<<<

Heh. Its cold as Hoth here in Ohio, but with less snow.

[i]Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Droids of all degrees. Clip on you blaster-pistol earings, file your teeth, and make sure your superweapons are on schedule: it Moffin' time![/i]

Today we present to you, Moff Panaka and the Grand Moff Grand Moff himself, 4-8C:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Rogue_Follower/moffs.jpg]

Up next, [b]The Moffman Prophecies[/b]...

[hr]

[face_tongue]

Because TalonCard suggested that somebody do a piece of artwork on Panaka in his Imperial-era Helm of Pessimism?, and because everybody could use a little more Grand Moff Four-atesee in their lives. :) ;)

Not finished, but its a good start.

4. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    As far as I know, this is new to the Story of Grievous, but pretty reasonable, I thought.

I wouldn't doubt it.

The one problematic NewsNets article I think is the one where he's idenified as a Grand Admiral and the story makes a big hoopla about him coming back from the Unknown Regions. I was a pirate node, though, and geared toward the smuggler community, for what it's worth.

Those guys are likely all dead at that point.

Then there's Rahn, of course.

Yoda: "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be!" (whispering to himself) "... from a certain point of view. Heeheehee!"

Thanks! Now you made my day.

The old Polys, yes... quality stuff. The last bastion of SW obscurity.

Good question. When does the Holiday Special take place?

And Grand Admirals.

Take care,
    Abel

5. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Oh? Trust me to hook on the one thing you can't answer... :p

So I'm told. Apparently, he was behind the treacherous stormtroopers in that early Empire arc - that sound right...? o_O

Well, it's Blackhole... you don't really take a peek inside a singularity unless you're brave, stupid, or have very good spacetime and hyperphysics tech... :p

Looking forward - with a little trepidation - to seeing what happens with this, though... :D

I'm kinda partial to the mid-1990s Casus Belli RPG stuff, myself...

Treats include background and stats for some of the ships from the HttE comic (a little before the comics came out)... Jedi "Grand Masters" (KotOR era) a decade ahead of anywhere else... and Thrawn and Borsk Fey'lya sizing each other up over diplomatic canapés on Sluis Van in 6 ABY...

Well, I always figured that it should be calculated from the real-world time-difference from ANH... [face_whistling]

- The Imperial Ewok

6. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999

I think I was able to nail it down at 2.5 years ABY, based on a reference to the last time the Wookiees had celebrated the holiday made in Rebel Dawn.

7. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    I thought I recalled there were some other factors hemming it in. Wasn't there also something in the Kashyyyk Depths?

Anyway, you know the answer to this McEwok: At the time of the Holiday Special, Merili was...? [BLANK]

8. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Well, that tops me. Good night folks!

I'm always raising false alarms. LFL's got me on a short leash. [face_mischief]

It's hard being a fanboy working for the man. [face_money_eyes]

I haven't given much thought to Ronderu's age. Likely in her thirties, don't know about forties.

...choobies.

Abel

9. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>It's hard being a fanboy working for the man. [face_money_eyes] <<<

"But sir... you are the man..." [/tv_commercial] ;) :p

10. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
  11. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >I thought I recalled there were some other factors hemming it in. Wasn't there also something in the Kashyyyk Depths? <

Yeah. In TEGTC, it's mentioned that Life Day takes place every three years, and that the Holiday Special happened just after ANH, with the KD Life Day placed just before Hoth. A little tight...but it fits. (Not a peep out of you, Rogue, you know what I meant. :p ) The main problem is keeping this consistent with the Life Day mentioned in Rebel Dawn. We'll have to look it up and see if it fits. Has it ever been established how long a year is on Kashyyyk?

There's also a Mon Calamari celebrating a Life Day in Galaxy of Fear #9, but we can probably assume that the Calamari celebrate it at a different time then the Wookiees...

TC

12. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Still on Dathomir?

Training with Sariss?

Disguised as an Omwat?

This is what happens when you mislay your Xerox of your mate's Polyhedron... :p [face_frustrated]

- The Imperial Ewok

13. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>Has it ever been established how long a year is on Kashyyyk? <<<

Possibly in Gamer 4, but I'm not sure.

>>>Not a peep out of you, Rogue, you know what I meant. <<<

[face_talk_hand] O:) :p

14. WhillJedi

WhillJedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2006
    Thanks for responding to my question about SWG "Durge", Abel. I sense there is a lot of potential here for an interesting retcon, and as you are the retcon master, if you ever feel like tying up that particular loose end, I'd be grateful. But then again, I'm one of the many fans of your work, and I enjoy all the little retcons and other continuity nods you give - so just keep them coming!

15. WhillJedi

WhillJedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2006
    http://www.atombender.de/swgwiki/index.php/Durge - Here's an alternate pic of him, by the way

16. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Easy way to bring Durge back would be a chunk of him kept on ice by Dooku for study after one of the last times he blew up.

17. arf_maul

arf_maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    Please let's not bring Durge back. For one, the Durge in SWG is quite weak.

At any rate, I'd prefer to pull out the "imposter" card rather than the "clone" or "miraculously-survived-certain-death-again" cards.

Star Wars Galaxies yields a wealth of material for authors to tap into; even if some of it contradicts canon. I'm glad it was Abel who made the first move (aside from "Ruins of Dantooine", but that was a direct spinoff - doesn't count).

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I actually tend to honestly wonder what the legacy of General Grevious is and I hope you'll have the opportunity to expand on it and also "what happened to the seperatists" as a whole for a large part.

Is he still a hero or a villain to the galaxy?

Plus, did Necrosis ever upload his consciousness? He could still yet live on!

19. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    [face_thinking]

It has precedent; for example, R2 in ANH:Infinities and C-3PX...

20. sabarte

Sep 8, 2005
    Grievous apologists would have to deal with Humbardine and other atrocities. He seems to have had a nasty reputation (in the Republic) at the end of the Clone Wars.

Dooku's legacy is actually just as interesting, as Imperial propaganda appears to have him as a part of the convoluted Jedi conspiracy to overthrow Palpatine and set up a Jedi theocracy. As of the ROTS novelization, he seems to have kept his hands fairly clean in anticipation of defection and repudiating the Confederacy. And it's not clear if the people in the know actually tell anyone who lives to pass it on that he's a Sith Lord.

I'd love to see some hard-nosed ex-Sep Rebels getting into arguments with Loyalist Rebels...course, maybe that's what we're seeing with the Quarren and the Mon Cal.

The Seps need more rabid libertarians :)

21. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Who is Humbardine?
    I wonder what kind of body NK Necrosis would be put in next :p

22. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Two words: mouse droid.

23. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Another reason for us to get that Mouse Droid article I was talking about earlier... [face_mischief] :p

24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't think there's any doubt that General Grevious was a savage warlord and a brutal conqueror but the point is more or less whether or not such things necessarily make him a character that can be causally lumped in with most of the other 'villains' of Star Wars. Somewhat like Grand Admiral Thrawn or Jango Fett you have to deal with a context that while they may be not good people at all....they aren't necessarily monsters either.

In Grevious' case, he was waging a war against a foe vastly superior in size, numbers, and ability than the forces that he had underneath him. While the CIS had a huge industry advantage plus an early numerical one in terms of soldiers, it boiled down to the fact that as a warlord he had an obligation to use what methods he could in order to win a war against a foe that held so many advantages over him.

Plus, on a personal level, Grevious was brain damaged throughout the war and frankly can't entirely be held responsible for certain actions of his. Its a question really how much of his 'atrocities' would be the original Grevious vs. his enhanced darkness.

25. sabarte

Sep 8, 2005
    I see your point, but I'm not sure in-universe sources would realize that, or care that much if they did. Except maybe for Luke.

But eh, if Kyp Durron can get off, who knows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.