main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Unknown Soldier: The Story of General Grievous" & "Lord of War" by Abel & Joe (SWI #86)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Super_Battle_Droid, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wari

wari Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2002
    Abel you freakin ROCK!!!!! OOWW!!!! [face_cowboy]

(sorry guys..I just felt the urge to do that)

2. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Speaking of swordfish, there's a huge public park in Changsha that has a balloon shooting stall (I bet Qymaen was good at that game and won many stuffed animals) and one of the prizes is a yellow swordfish. I immediatly thought of Grievous.
    I think Kaleesh change color in different reproductive stages too. But that's just fangirl thinking for my femme!Grievosu bunny.

3. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I sort of imagine the Kaleesh as having a face sort of like that of a predator, but a little more close to human, yet not too much....[face_thinking]

4. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Baby mantids really are pretty damn cute.

5. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    [face_laugh] That was quite refreshing, karabbackkilla.

Hey, nice! Thanks for that Biddybot!

YOU rock, dude. [face_peace]

I kinda get that feeling too, due to the tusks, but for that very reason, I'd probably like to see something more original underneath the mask. Can't out-Predator the Predator, after all.

Take care,
    Abel

6. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I was looking at chickens yesterday and thought the Kaleesh can have the skin around the eyes like a chicken and some red hanging bits for the really old ones....

Er, how un-canon would a female Qymaen be?

7. Biddybot

Biddybot Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2002
    There's at least one fanfic kicking around wherein the descriptions of the Kaleesh put me in mind of the Predators too, but I always get too stuck on the narrowness of Grievous's mask, both original and his cyborg version, to consider that he might look like that...personally, I like picturing the Kaleesh as having faces much more reminiscent of intelligent animals than that of humans, ie. humanoid. That'd go back to what I imagine their ancestral stock looked like, more of a hairless, tailless, biquadrupedal baboon/dog cross creature rather than a flat-faced ape sort. Their skulls likely resembled those of sighthounds at one time and I'd like to think that their faces still have that 'greyhoundy' look although their modern-day skulls and dentition would, of course, be structured somewhat differently...

[image=http://www.skullsite.co.uk/Grhnd/grhnd_ven.jpg]

PS: Special to kecen: Would a Missus Grievous be un-canon? Hell yes! 8-} Heh...this is one artistic variant I'll never quite comprehend the origins of, you know. To my eyes, Grievous the cyborg has pretty classic masculine proportions, and the way his armour was designed additionally reminds me of some of the stereotypical garb beefcake dancers sport...a double dose of masculinity, if you please! I guess there must be something else there I am just not seeing...

8. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    It's the "plates" and how the picture of CW Grievous with open chest plates seems to have boob armor.
    Masculine Proportions? You and I must be looking at different Grievouses X3

Er, the idea stemmed from a IM convo where I was pointing out how one picture (the one where Grievous is jumping and the chest plates are raised up) made Grievous look sort of girly and things got out of hand XD
    Plus Karabbackilla approves....

9. Biddybot

Aug 6, 2002
    (Laughs...) You know, I never once looked at Grievous's chest armour and thought 'boob armour'! I might have thought of a gladiator's torsal armour a couple of times, but once I saw that the plates were attached with swivel joins and that his 'body' could flex quite freely beneath them, I started thinking that his chest armour resembled the skirt panels of an Orthoflex saddle (for horses) or one of those other saddle brands that features similar self-adjusting construction. As for those 'other' plates I think you're referring to, me, I think codpiece first. That's probably just wishful thinking, though...

The main reason I think Grievous looks masculine: One of the classic proportions used by artists to differentuate between male and female human figures has to do with the width of the hips compared to the width of the chest. Males 'should' have hips that are equal to or less broad than the chest when measured across from armpit to armpit, female hips should be as broad across as the chest measurement from the outside of one shoulder to the other or broader. Grievous's design, cyborg or not, does look to me as if it incorporates that basic male proportion. Other stereotypic male features of the sort beloved by beefcake artists and romance writers which he looks to have are a slender waist, defined hips, proportionately broad shoulders and a chest with well-defined 'pectorals' (the armour, in his case), large hands and feet, even a 'ruggedly handsome' face, ie. long, with slightly bony features. That's all part of what I see when I look at Grievous, and yeah, I probably think way too much about it all...
    :-B

10. karabbackilla

karabbackilla Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 20, 2006
    [face_laugh] Oh mah gods, you guys are making me crack up! Partially because I spend as much time thinking about his body design as you do. So I get a double :-B :-B !

I love all the differant artistic visions that have been birthed from this character, and whenever I see something 'differant from the norm'I squeal with delight! Although I definitly see Grievous as male gendered, I can see where Kecen's female G origins come from. Probably from that wasp waist (looks like he's wearing a corset) and wide hip guards. His propensity for fancy red velvety lined capes and the um.. split crotch. Personally..(and this is where the real fan nerd/kaleesh biology expert wannabe comes in...) I think the pelvic plates are designed to look like kaleesh male 'twin equipment' if you get my drift, and as a cultural note, the double arrows that Grievous has all over his self are shoni markings not mumuu, and are fertility/phallic symbols. Gods knows, Grievous was busy in the baby making arena. ;)

I have said this a million times on other sites. I really hope the kaleesh are not too human-y under their masks. Or predator like. Abel is right...can't outdo the predator. Plus it really should be something differant.It's Grievous's people! Not some random cantina alien.

My first kaleesh face designs are the ones I have decided to stay with. I pretty much based them on cyborg Grievous's head design whichI adore. Long,thin, noseless and sort of flattish from the eyes to the mouth.

11. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    "It's not the size of your plumage! It's the way your claspers sway in the wind when you try to fly!"

I'd like to wear a corset but I look too angry for one. I was thinking maybe those bandages on Qymaen are as tight as a corset (like how a geisha's obi is too)

12. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Pish. An angry look would in no way diminish the look of a corset on someone any more or less than it would diminish the look of regular clothing on someone. So if you wanna wear one, and have the cash, go for it.

13. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    Who would've thought, really.

Depends. How uncanon would a male kecen be?

Another cool find. What creature is that, Biddybot?

This last spurt of Grievous posts has been very interesting indeed.

14. karabbackilla

Jul 20, 2006
    Very VERY interesting!

I hope we are not going to scare you off Halagad![face_worried]

(I've been known to freak a few people out with my bouts of outlandishness, please excuse me!)[face_blush]

15. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005

In truth I have no clue. I think that maybe it would be plausible if it were only cyborg!Grievous who was male. Uhhhh. Like how Qymaen had an alter ego in Grievous (think Padme and Queen Amidala)....

16. Biddybot

Aug 6, 2002
    Halagad Ventor: That skull actually is a greyhound skull, photographed from below and with the lower jaw removed. I was really struck by how much it reminded me of Grievous's mask when viewed that way. I've also found a different skull that looks a good match to what I think the Kaleesh might have looked like during that in-between evolutionary stage when they were starting to spend more time up on their hind legs than on all fours and began using weapons instead of their natural attributes to kill their prey...

[image=http://www-nmbe.unibe.ch/deutsch/pics_dogs/bullt1980_s.gif]

As the need for a wide gape and biting power faded away, I find it quite easy to imagine that upper jaw bending ever further downward and shortening and the lower one rotating and becoming more underslung to bring the mouth forward for greater, more sophisticated facial expressiveness and social interaction, biped to biped. The cranium portion would have expanded upward and back, not much widthwise (Grievous's brain fits quite neatly into his 'fake' cyborg skull as is, after all!) and maybe those lower fangs grew out to become big tusks, who knows? Anyway, just another example of my excessive nerdiness when it comes to pondering all things Grievous and the sort of look (pre-look, actually) I hope the 'official' Kaleesh wind up adopting. I don't ever want to think of a Predator or a Jem'Hadar or a Drazi or any other SF alien already in existance when I look at a Kaleesh. I want them to look special and unique...because it's Grievous, darn it!

The funniest, weirdest, and yet strangely enjoyable version of Grievous's character that I've found to date is the word-picture created in my mind when I read a certain German fic. It's a pretty good set-up--Grievous and Obi-Wan are still in the midst of their lightsaber duel when Order 66 comes through and the attacking clones promptly begin targeting both combatants. Grievous and Obi escape in Grievous's posh personal shuttle, their hostilities briefly forgotten, and while in flight, Obi learns of why he was attacked by his own troopers and the devastating mass slaughter of his fellow Jedi. He gets so upset that he gets all weepy and breaks down, and Grievous, sitting on the couch beside him, pulls him onto his lap and comforts him. I defy anyone to be able to imagine this--sensitive!Grievous stroking Obi-Wan's hair as the human sobs on the General's shoulder--without breaking into giggles if not outright laughter.

17. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    The thing is I know that fic. But it was in German so I couldn't understand all of it. I want it to update but the author has writer's block -_-

You can tell I enjoyed it a lot more than I should have XD

18. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I swear this thread gets weirder with every post... [face_hypnotized]

And I'm here to add to the oddity. It seems Joe Johnston once invisioned Leia with a Grievous-esque body, as seen on this Galaxy 2 card. Its hard to see it on the card (there's a much better version in the Galaxy Volume 2 collection book), but her lower half and arms are entirely robotic. The funny thing is, they look almost exactly like B-1 battledroid parts... [face_thinking]

19. Biddybot

Aug 6, 2002
    Heh, cyborg-Leia needs to meet the cyborg-Darth Maul that was in that one comics story in the 'Visionaries' collection. They could compare leg mileage. There must be a prosthetics lab somewhere in the Star Wars galaxy that's making a killing supplying replacement parts to all these characters that keep losing bits of their anatomy...

Ref. the sensitive!Grievous story, it got even weirder later on when Grievous began considering adding Obi-Wan to his harem as a sort of enemy slave war trophy. The funny thing is, at the time, there was so little background available for pre-cyborg Grievous that such an idea, on the surface, didn't seem all that wildly out of place. It was only applying an overheated imagination to it that led it squarely into silly territory, what with me further picturing a lounging Grievous at home pulling a Jabba the Hutt slave-master routine and rattling his new 'boy's' chains and...oh, well, never mind...

On the slightly more wholesome end of the many-faces-of-Grievous scale, I recently found a nice promo image of ROTS Grievous that I'd never seen before on the Attakus model site--Grievous holding his blaster in the lower right corner of this page:

http://www.attakus.com/mini-site/grievous/page6.htm

I really like this pose, but can't help mentally adding a similar promo image of Shaak Ti at his side--there's a good one I'm thinking of with her standing sideways with her ignited lightsaber held vertically before her. Then you could use the composite image as great advertising for the hit new Star Wars TV show, 'Law And Order: Special Aliens Unit'.

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Absolutely.

21. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >And I'm here to add to the oddity. It seems Joe Johnston once invisioned Leia with a Grievous-esque body, as seen on this Galaxy 2 card. Its hard to see it on the card (there's a much better version in the Galaxy Volume 2 collection book), but her lower half and arms are entirely robotic. The funny thing is, they look almost exactly like B-1 battledroid parts...<

Obviously, it's an unfinished prototype from the Alliance Project Decoy Leia droid (from Prophets of the Dark Side.) ;)

TC

22. karabbackilla

Jul 20, 2006
    Where the heck is everybody???

Helllooooo is there anybody in here..?
    just nod if you can hear me..
    is there anyone at home?

23. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    We're in here. But there's not much point posting in a thread unless there's something to be said.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    In about 10 days the New Essential Guide to Aliens comes out. And we will finally, finally get to see Grievous's face (or get an idea of it). And that entire population of bizarre and disturbing Grievy fangirls that somehow spawned after the arrival of ROTS won't be able to draw their imaginary Qymaen fanart-work anymore.

MUHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

(Of course, we're gonna have to deal with the real Qymaen fanart now... :oops: )

25. karabbackilla

Jul 20, 2006

[face_laugh] Well Barris, as one of those 'bizarre and disturbing fangirls', I'm just going to say, that I for one, will still draw my imaginary Qymaen fanart the way I like. That's the beauty of imagination. Sort of like all the STRANGE Grievous pairings out there. I don't agree with them , but it's still fun to experience other people's free expression!

I hope they do show his face, *crosses fingers* cause it will be fun to draw him the 'official' way too. I have a feeling it's going to be more masks though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.