main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC Unlimited Edit Time...

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Alakin_Marshwalker, Mar 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alakin_Marshwalker

Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    I was just curious what happened to it. I noticed Rani mentioning in the other post that it was down to 5 minutes.

2. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    I changed it to 5 min. last week when Reni was banned.
    I've up the limit time to 90 min. till all of the issues are worked out.
    I have total faith that Victoria will be back up to unlimited edit time soon.

3. Gesh_Bomil

Gesh_Bomil Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002
    Just a query but what does lowering Victoria's editing time have to do with one member being banned for a short period of time?

Gesh

4. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    Venting in a public forum...

If anyone had a mind to post a few nasty comments, you would have been limited in going back to change it once you came to the conclusion it was a bad idea.

5. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    YJN, are you saying that these members asking these simple questions about unannounced changes to our forum is "venting in a public forum", or are you saying you made these changes to our forum to prevent venting in a public forum? I'm asking, because I honestly don't know what you meant by your comment above, "Venting in a public forum...". Perhaps you could clarify so we can all better understand your reasoning?

To the best of my knowledge, no member of this chapter, or even regular visitors to this forum, have ever abused the unlimited editting time on Victory Base's forum by going back and "rewriting history" after responses were made. (This should be easy enough to verify, by examining times that edits were made and comparing them to times that responses were made.)

I am not venting, nor publically raising a concern. I am asking for clarification on behalf of the members of this chapter and pointing out information that may not have been previously considered.

- Rani

6. Gesh_Bomil

May 24, 2002
    YJN>>>I changed it to 5 min. last week when Reni was banned. I've up the limit time to 90 min. till all of the issues are worked out. I have total faith that Victoria will be back up to unlimited edit time soon.

GESH>>Just a query but what does lowering Victoria's editing time have to do with one member being banned for a short period of time?

YJN>Venting in a public forum...
    >If anyone had a mind to post a few nasty comments, you would have been limited in going back to change it once you came to the conclusion it was a bad idea.

So then, limiting time to edit means that the comments someone makes are more likely to remain posted rather than edited. Does that not limit the time a person has to make amends thereby restricting an attempt to "play nice". Does that mean that all of Victoria was being restricted for Rani's "indescresion" to ensure that "true feelings" were expressed? The fact that Rani's ban is now lifted (5 min editing to 90 minutes), and once all the issues are worked out (90 minutes to unlimited), does that not also infer that ALL members of Victoria were not expressing their "true feelings".

I understand the reason for those immediatly involved to be encouraged to discuss the matter honestly and openly, but a ban on publicly commenting about the investigation between YoungJediNiagra, Rani, Derisa and CrazyMike prohibited discussing this on the boards anyway, for which i now apologize for attempting my own investigation and potentially mucking it up. The only thing i do not currently understand is this:

If venting is a momentary burst of energy and the time to redirect that energy is limited...does that also limit the time to correct the venting. Hence increasing not decreasing the amount of vents proportunal to the lack of time allowed to edit. Was it your intention, YoungJediNiagra to lower the time to increase the amount of venting? If so i am confused by your stance on "less venting on the boards" noted on various threads with reference to the current investigation and ask the following...

Was Victoria punished "en masse" with a limit to editing due to Rani's "indescretion" or was it to encourage true feelings being discussed?

Just a query.

7. Gesh_Bomil

May 24, 2002
    I have now noticed a thread that seems to connect all the problems that i have been seeing together. Lack of complete communication.

By activating a limit on editing and not posting the complete reasons why, YJN has inadvertantly caused panic and confusion. I would like to ask that all persons of authority...from local club heads to national and international heads, to be more clear and consise in revealing actions and the reasons behind them so that less anger and therefore less venting will be present. Perhaps in memo format?

Does this sound good? We are a democracy after all and all good democracy's need efficient administration and that means good communication.

Gesh

8. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    *emerging from state of lurkdom* "Panic and confusion"? How on *Earth* did YJN ever incite any supposed "panic or confusion"?! As far as I'm concerned, in *no* way did he ever do anu such thing! For pity's sake, it's not as if the time limit on editing is of life-or-death crucial importance to at least *some*, if not *most* of us....whether it's five minutes or fifty is no reason to think that any maltreatment has occurred. Which, of course, it most certainly has *not*.

*shakes her head, muttering in annoyance under her breath* "Panic and confusion"....for the life of me I don't know how *anyone* could get that particular idea. I have *never* seen any such result from anythinng that has been done; in my purview, YJN took the necessary action in order to attempt to prevent an impending firestorm....and I *hardly* think that anything he's done has caused anyone to panic. *snorts* Honestly....

Dawn.

9. Gesh_Bomil

May 24, 2002
    >*emerging from state of lurkdom* "Panic and confusion"? How on *Earth* did YJN ever incite any supposed "panic or confusion"?!

1. By not announcing that the editing time had been reduced.
    2. By not stating why it had been reduced
    3. Not stating when and under what criteria that it would be restored.

these things have created this thread and thereby panic (over what had happened) and confusion (why has this been done). It's not a burning of Rome kind of panic and confusion, just a Jackie Chan in a pottery shop kind. There is a reason for it, it just has to be played out for it to be apparent. For now the scene is still being filmed as we now know 1. 2 and 3 still have to be explained fully.

>As far as I'm concerned, in *no* way did he ever do anu such thing! For pity's sake, it's not as if the time limit on editing is of life-or-death crucial importance to at least *some*, if not *most* of us....whether it's five minutes or fifty is no reason to think that any maltreatment has occurred. Which, of course, it most certainly has *not*.

Absolutly. As long as the justification is proper. So what is the justification?

>*shakes her head, muttering in annoyance under her breath* "Panic and confusion"....for the life of me I don't know how *anyone* could get that particular idea. I have *never* seen any such result from anythinng that has been done; in my purview, YJN took the necessary action in order to attempt to prevent an impending firestorm....and I *hardly* think that anything he's done has caused anyone to panic. *snorts* Honestly.... Dawn.

Again, absolutly but prevention without announcing to the patient that medicine had been applied, why they swallowed the medicine and under what symptoms will the side effects of the medicine be removed is under query. It causes concern, hence the usage of proper memo format when declaring future action is a means to implementing an end in the future. Is that too much to ask Qui-Dawn?

Gesh

PS: PM me about any action your role playing character has gotten to do while i've been gone.

10. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    My stance on the issue remains thus: big fuss = no reason. What's done is done now, and surely anyone who ever thought to take issue with the shorter post editing time no longer has any reason to complain, given as how the length of time has been reinstated to its full amount once again. And with that out of the way, the problem no longer exists. It is also my stance that continuing to press the matter will only result in more friction and strife, and most unnecessarily so. Done is done, and it's all been dealt with. I see no reason to fret about it any longer. (not, of course, that I ever have)

Has this group not already seen enough flogging of the proverbial dead bantha? Is it not time to set various and all sundry differences of opinion with other CRs, RSAs, Fanforces and such well *aside*....and to thus actually start off on the right foot, for once? Isn't it more than high time to start afresh, and the right way around this time? I should think so....

Dawn.

11. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    This is a test of the editing time limit. This is only a test...

EDIT:

"...surely anyone who ever thought to take issue with the shorter post editing time no longer has any reason to complain, given as how the length of time has been reinstated to its full amount once again."

Nope. I'm afraid I have to correct you, Dawn. The editting time currently is set to 90 minutes. The "full amount" had been unlimited prior to it being reduced to 5 minutes last week, then recently raised to its current limit.

Is it not time to set various and all sundry differences of opinion with other CRs, RSAs, Fanforces and such well *aside*....

I'm not aware of any differences of opinion with other CRs, or FanForces. As for differences of opinion with RSAs, I know of only one, and that is being handled privately and off these forums, so I'm not certain what point you're trying to make here...

I'm reading a lot of defensiveness in your posts on this thread, and there is no need for it. People have asked valid, honest, and polite questions, and are now waiting for equally polite and honest answers. No one is under attack here, so I'm not entirely sure why it is you feel the need to rush to anyone's defense.

With regards to the following, posted by you earlier:

"shakes her head, muttering in annoyance under her breath*", "...for the life of me I don't know how *anyone* could get that particular idea", and "...and I *hardly* think that anything he's done has caused anyone to panic. *snorts* Honestly...."

Your opinions, Dawn have always been treated with respect on this forum. Please show others here that same courtesy.

- Rani

12. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    If some didn't understand why let me explain. In order...

> Rani was banned and had he color removed.

> As a safety feature (for the admin) your forum time limit was dropped to 5 min. Because...if anyone had the idea to post nasty comments in the forum they would have less of a chance to go back and edit the post.
    Posting then editing does not get you out of a bad situation. The lowering of the edit time would allow an admin to come in and see the post and deal with the member accordingly.

> Talks have started between myself and your CR. I'm hopeful that all will be rectified and in good faith I have given you your 90 min. edit time back. Once I'm satisfied that everything is worked out your edit time will be bumped back to unlimited.

Please don't automaticly think the worst, I'm not a mean person. My intent and your opinions are very much miles apart. Lets start closing the gap, not widening.

13. Gesh_Bomil

May 24, 2002
    Excellent! Thank you YJN for your reply. I hope that clears some air and lets all try to be as clear as the skies on Naboo, myself included.

Gesh

14. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    If I may interject something really quick in here.

The minimal edit time (in this case 5 minutes) is standard practice when there is a potential for, or when things do, get out of hand in a forum. Its been done in other cities as well, and Chris was basically following the procedure set out by other RSAs.

That said I am really pleased to see that discussions are happening, and I truly wish to see things worked out.

15. Alakin_Marshwalker

Alakin_Marshwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Well, It has been over a month since resolution was started. Even if the issues haven't been completely resolved, I think the members of our FF have proven that we are not going to be posting any nasty. I would just like to know why the unlimited edit time hasn't been restored yet.

16. Vills-Kavic

Vills-Kavic Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2003
    As a newer member to this forum, I also would like to know why the unlimited editing time is still withheld from this group. I have read Gesh's numerous posts, and I must agree that giving someone an infinite time to change their remarks would give the person a chance to make less "nasty" comments in the first place!

I think it would be good for Victory Base to get our unlimited time back. I would like to know why this editing time ban has been continued when it is no longer necessary! Please YJN, give me an update as to why this chance hasn't been made yet.

-Vills

17. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    Please YJN, give me an update as to why this chance hasn't been made yet.

Did you mean "chance", or "change", Vills?

Come to think of it, this is exactly one of the reasons we asked for the unlimited editing time in the first place: sometimes 90 minutes isn't enough time to notice a typo and fix it. That, and it used to come in handy for announcing our next upcoming event.

If YJN doesn't have an opportunity to answer your question, Alakin, perhaps our other RSA, Crazy Mike, will.

- Rani

18. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000

I would like to see the time bumped up to 24 hours. I will speak to Chris and see what his thoughts are on the matter...

19. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    I've PM'd Rani.

20. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    And I've replied.

- Rani

21. Gesh_Bomil

May 24, 2002
    and we're waiting with baited breath...

Gesh

22. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    There's been some MSN discussion with YJN through Shara, although YJN had to leave the discussion prematurely. I've PMed him again to confirm what we agreed to on MSN, and I'll hopefully have his confirmation or refusal sometime tomorrow.

Sorry I don't have more news to tell you at this point. :(

- Rani

23. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Well, we're up to 24hrs on the edit time, although that doesn't help with the "Next Event" threads, or the Base Roster and Orientation threads Rani's been holding off on posting until she can be sure she'll be able to edit it as necessary.

It was not announced here who has given us this little bone, but thankyou, whichever mod did that for us. (Wasn't it Gesh who mentioned a lack of communication as being a root cause of much of our problems in the past? Well put, my man.)

Again, thanks for the trust: we will continue not to abuse it.

*Derisa*

24. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I did not change the edit time, I guess it was Chris ....

25. YoungJediNiagara

Mar 23, 2001
    That was me.

I up'd it as another sign of good faith.
    Just waiting to here back from Shara_82 regarding something then it will be back to unlimited. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.