Unloved & Underappreciated: The Cancelled Sci-Fi Shows Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sith_rising Force Ghost

star 4
    Not really Sci-fi, but I loved Black Sash, which aired Sunday nights on the WB about a year ago. It only lasted a month or so, but it was really good. There was also a cool show called Raven, which was on around 1993, about a Hawaiian ninja or something like that. Also liked Highlander, but didn't see alot of episodes, and never saw any of the Highlander's "Raven".
  2. AmmersVI Jedi Master

star 4
    Looking at this thread made me think of the show VR:5. It was not my favorite but I thought it had potential.
    Alas, it too was cancelled...
  3. Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Master

star 4
    Firefly

Futurama

MST3K

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!
  4. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
    How about an unloved part of a show. I remember a few years ago, Sci-Fi channel had this little half hour show where they'd tell you about what was on TV tonight, which was generally pretty lame. But to counterbalance that, they had this great segment where they brought in authors like Harlen Elison and film makers and they had two hosts. Usually there were about 4 or 5 people and they had this mini talk show. It was great! I loved the discussions and listening to them argue about all manner of Sci-fi. I wish we could have a good Sci-Fi talk show now.
  5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    In order, the four SF/F shows I'd like to have had at least a couple more seasons of:

Brimstone (damn this one was good- only show besides Farscape that I've participated in a "save this show" campaign)
    Space: Above and Beyond (was really gearing up well)
    Briscoe County Jr (All hail Bruce)
    Strange Luck (guilty pleasure)

Farscape and Firefly already have much love, so they don't count ;)
  6. RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Highlander
    Firefly
    Angel
    Quantum Leap
    Alien Nation
    Planet of the Apes the Series
    Three's Company
    Max Headroom
    Kingdom Hospital
  7. Jairen Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I'd back up the first three on that list, definitely. I loved Brimstone. John Glover made an awesome Devil, and the whole premise was great.

S:AAB was superb as well. I recently bought the DVD boxset. Great memories.

And Briscoe County Jr was just wonderful. Great imagery, funny story telling, and of course seeing the "Shonuff" from The Last Dragon in it was fun too.
  8. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
    Darn I forgot all about Alien Nation. I kind of liked that show.
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >>I loved Brimstone. John Glover made an awesome Devil, and the whole premise was great.<<

Absolutely. The fact that he'd order Angelfood Cake at the diner just killed me.
  10. Jesina_Dreis Jedi Master

star 4
    o_O Three's Company?
  11. RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus

star 7
    We were talking about non-realistic, fantasy TV show premises weren't we? ;)
  12. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Quantum Leap wasn't cancelled was it? It came to such a good conclusion I felt the cast were ending it when it needed to end.
  13. Jesina_Dreis Jedi Master

star 4
    *snrk* I suppose. But then, you'd have to include half of what's on TV :p
  14. sith_rising Force Ghost

star 4
    I used to LOVE cheesy late-night TV shows, such as Mortal Kombat, The Crow, Xena, The Beastmaster, Conan, The Lost World, Andromeda, VIP, Walker, Adventure Inc., you name it. The Cheesier, the better!
  15. Jesina_Dreis Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I ALWAYS seem to get sucked in by the cheesy shows. *headdesk* Currently it's Walker that's holding me hostage. Gah. Not that that's scifi, but...

Scifi shows do tend to have a habit of being cheesier than the average. Wonder why that is...
  16. Darth_Daver Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Alien Nation, of course. Another one-season wonder:(
  17. Jesina_Dreis Jedi Master

star 4
    I have some old tapes of a show called Booker, and there are commercials for Alien Nation on it. I never saw it, but it looked like an interesting show.
  18. Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Master

star 4
    Alien Nation: The Complete Series, actually was just released on DVD yesterday, 1/3, if anyone's interested.
    [image=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000BOH8Y6.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]

Also, Nowhere Man: The Complete Series, came out on 12/27.

Anyone remember the War of the Worlds TV show from 1988? One of the most interesting things about it was its most unusual change in format from season 1 to season 2, best described in the IMDB page under trivia:

In its second season, this series underwent a dramatic format change the show title was changed to "War of the Worlds: The Second Invasion." The present-day setting of the first season was changed to a post-apocalyptic future, several main characters were deleted (presumably killed during the "second invasion", which was never shown), and the plot point that required aliens to "change bodies" every 24 hours was removed. This last change allowed actors playing alien characters to become regular and recurring cast members.

That show's first season came out on DVD recently.
  19. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Space: Above and Beyond, Seven Days, Nowhere Man, Briscoe County Jr, Legend...

So many shows that ended before their time.
  20. PICTURETHIS Jedi Padawan

Simply enough for me, its the Lexx. That's it.
  21. somethingfamiliar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Alien Nation was awesome. I loved that show. They did some TV movies to wrap it up and they were pretty boss iirc.
  22. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I became interested in the series 'Tru Calling' last year. I hear it's non-existant, which is a shame.
  23. Rouge Null Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Angel
    Andromeda
    Dark Angel
    Buffy (though that one ended pretty well)
  24. Grillbu_Fett Jedi Knight

star 2
    Space: Above and Beyond was a great show. How long did they make it? One season? For me there was so much in it, it felt like much more. I loved their model of spaceflight, much nearer to reality than many other SciFi series. I think they applied it to Battlestar Galactica:Reimagined.

I think it was planned to last only one season, the producers wanted to focus on the X-Files again. IMO if a series is planned for a certain period of time, you can see that all episodes of the series point to a target. That showed up very well in S:AaB while the X-Files got lost in their last two seasons.

Briscoe County Jr.
    was great, too. Does anybody know what happened to the Young Indiana Jones?
  25. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    Bah, TYIJC is why I LOATHE ABC programming :mad::mad: They took an amazing show and spent an entire season bouncing it all over their schedule so lo and behold no one could find it and eventually they cancelled it.

Apparently LFL is supposed to be working on getting it ready for DVD release. So far you can pick up some of the episodes on tape though.

GREAT, FANTASTIC show though. Sean Patrick Flannery was and still is ultra hot =P~
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.