main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Unloved & Underappreciated: The Cancelled Sci-Fi Shows Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The SciFi Channel did a Riverworld debut movie which was supposed to be a series but it never made it past the first episode. It had typcial ScFi Channel crappiness, but it was an interesting take of the book series.

And Automan was a cool show too. 8-}

2. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Automan??????????? boy are you dating yourself. hehe. When I didn't know any better I thought it was a cool show also, for the time. It was a lot better than "Street Hawk" [face_laugh]

How about "Now and Again". came out a few years ago. Eric Close, Dennis Haysbert,and Margaret Colin. Modern telling of the "Six million Dollar Man". Now that was a clever show, very entertaining...not only did it only run 13 episodes. They left it on a big cliffhanger...and never came back (as is usually the case) boy that made me mad.

3. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    I can't believe that ya'll haven't mentioned Crusade! That was a show that could have had the potential to be a HUGE hit, but TNT sabotaged it before it even came to air! To have learned more about the workings of the Technomages would have been great! We are left wondering if the Earth dies from the Drakh plague or if a cure was found in time. I loved the characters, but the Execs at TNT forced JMS to make changes that weren't necessary.

Another B5 related series that never got off its feet was Legend of the Rangers. Sci-Fi ran the first showing opposite the NBA Championship game and was surprised to see the ratings low, and since everyone knows that Sci-Fi runs its movies/shows a couple times there was little pressure to see it during the first showing.

Oh, how could I forget: Misfits of Science! 8-}

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Yes, us old-timers miss the good old days.

One show, a cartoon, has a single season run waaaaaaay back in the early 80's. The animation and story was superior to Voltron in every way. Why it did not do well I don't know but it was cancelled after just 13(fantastic) episodes.

MIGHTY ORBOTS

I compare it to Voltron just because it was similar in the joining of robots to make one large robot.

5. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    yeah, your right..there was some good stuff back in the day.

hmmmm familiar with Voltron...but not with Mighty Orbots

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    There was a show a few years ago with Christopher Lloyd where he played a video game villian that came out into the real world to wreak havoc on his real world creator. I can't remember the name of the series now, but it did not last a season. One of UPN's first series.

7. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Deadly Games.

Where is my cookie? [face_dancing]

I'm surprised no one mentioned Birds Of Prey yet.

Wait, no I'm not.

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    *hands weezer a cookie of his choice*

Thank you! I remember the series and most of the episodes, but I could not remember the name afterall this time.

Cool concept, too bad UPN yanked it like they did so many promising series in their early years. Hopefully the new CW will do better.

9. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I'm sure they will. Frankly its a miracle that anything on UPN has survived at all. Mars hitting its third season is quite the accomplishment.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Only because VM is rating high in the demographic UPN needed. It's amazing because besides the Trek series, Mars is the only drama besides the Sentinel (somebody needs to create a thread for that show), to last at least three seasons (Roswell and Buffy do not count since they were transplants from WB and only lasted one season in Roswell's case and two in Buffy's on UPN.)

EDIT: It's late and I'm lazy but has anybody mentioned Nowhere Man yet?

11. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Its amazing that UPN managed to screw up Trek while we on the subject. Even as a net-let it was floundering badly and in desperate need of a bullet to the head for humanitarian reasons.

The creation of CW will do great things for both networks even if the only thing UPN brings to the table is Mars (which frankly, it is).

12. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I liked Roswell and hated the way they had to rush to finish it in half a season.

I want 5 seasons of Crusade as well. I loved it while it lasted (B5 is my fave TV show ever).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.