main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Unofficial Celebration VII What to Wear/Progress/Help Thread

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Maulested, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    Alright, folks... Tickets have gone on sale for Celebration VII in Anaheim in 2015. You have just under two years to figure out what to wear! So what do you want to tackle? Are you going to challenge yourself? What are your costuming goals for the next year? Think of a new skill you want to learn or challenge yourself to something--that is the best way to learn. Post your ideas, questions, pics, progress,and freak outs here. All skill levels welcome, feel free to ask for help. I've been sewing for a really long time and like to help. : )

Me
    Definitely...
    Bo Katan (My goal for next year is to learn hard costuming and how to sew stretchy stuff and join the 501st.)
    Darth Zannah
    A crazy gown, probably Duchess Satine (This also includes hairpieces and hair is another thing I'm working on learning.)
    Night Sister (The one with the bow.)

Maybe...
    Lady Gaga does Star Wars (Think big hair and headpieces, stuff that orbits, general craziness. I would also like to try the facial appliances she wore for awhile.)
    An OC

Huzzy
    Definitely
    Camo Clone Trooper from Ep. III
    Hoth Rebel (Re-Do from a few years ago)

Maybe
    Senate Guard/Imperial Royal Guard

My goal/challenge for myself--learn how to sew stretch fabrics and draft patterns for them, work on overall tailoring/fitting skills, work on hard costuming (vacuform and resin casting) and most importantly, to sew or do something sewing-related every day.

2. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Those sound cool.

I'm not going to Celebration VII, but I've got a long list of costumes for if I ever make it to DragonCon or SDCC or have time to join Rebel Legion.... but first of all, the list of choices for wearing to the midnight showing of Episode VII !

Current:
    Corellian Jedi - finished, though accessories could be improved (and the fallback in case I somehow manage to not finish another costume in 2 years), but once the other two costumes are done, this will be turned into a Jedi Escaping Order 66 costume. Add battle damage to tunic, tear outer robe, make a Jedi backpack, wound makeup, etc.

In Progress:
    Corellian Civilian/Pilot/Smuggler/Undercover Jedi - think ANH style FemmeSolo with green pants and an Anakin Solo style black leather jacket. Ideally with a lightsaber holster.

Corellian Jedi #2 - upgraded design and fabrics. Tunic will be real raw silk, and robe will be a better material, possibly monk's cloth or real wool.

I guess you could say it's kind of a progression from Old Republic to Dark Times to New Republic Jedi? :)

Goals:
    Learn how to sew silk and stretch denim, dye large quantities of fabric, and perfect my pattern-drafting skills.

Other Star Wars costumes for down the line: red KOTOR Jedi robes, Jaina Solo as an X-Wing pilot, Darth Revan, Jaden Korr (blue Twi'lek version) from Jedi Academy, and possibly KOTOR Star Forge robes. (Skills to learn - leather tooling, armor/hard accessory construction, incorporating LEDs/electronics, lekku making, body paint...)

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I honestly have no clue. I'm hoping some promo photos of characters and costumes will be out and that something will grab my eye.

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm just hoping I'll be to sewing full costumes by then... I really should be!

As to what, I have no idea at the moment, we'll see what I manage to do between now and then.

5. Maulested

Jul 10, 2005
    Ah! Definitely something from the new movie. I love scouring the net for photos. I'm sure as the clock ticks down, I'll figure something out. And it totally doesn't help that I watched both Ewok Adventure movies last night (I know, I know!) and I remember how much I liked Cindel as a kid. And Charal is cool too. Too many choices!
    And Jabari- Your Corellian Jedi costume was really cool. I like original costumes.

Mitth_Fisto and Jabari like this.
  6. Maulested

Jul 10, 2005
    So I guess I have a new challenge... last week I had terrible pain and numbness in my hands and fingers that landed me in the ER... my doctor thinks I may have carpal tunnel or a pinched nerve. The pain has lessened but I still hurt and the numbness is bad in my dominant hand (right). The only reason I can post is because husband bought me a Kindle Fire for our anniversary today. :) I don't know what this will mean for my costuming future and goals for SW cosplay or my historical costuming businesses I was literally a few clicks away from launching. My doctor and friends tell me to wait and see what happens. If I still have the pain and numbness in a week I'll probably be getting a nerve test for carpal tunnel. Is there someone or something I can Force choke or Force hit... I'm so mad and my hands are kinda useless...

7. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    ^Hope you're feeling better.

So...I'm not sure if I'll be attending Celebration VII. 1) It's a long ways away from where I'll be living(NW Indiana/Chicagoland). 2) My Mom's birthday is day one of the festivities, and while she doesn't hate SW, she's not much of a fan, either. I don't want to not be with her on her birthday, nor do I want to drag her all the way to CA for something she's not really interested in. 3) I'm not sure I can afford it. I put off college to save money, and I'm hoping to start an online program in the fall. That, and hopefully I'll have a half-decent job by 2015. Thing is, I should decide soon before tickets sell out. I'll probably make a decision in February.

Anyways, I've decided if I do go, I will definitely do Endor!Leia. The outfit's fairly simple; I'd probably just have to make the poncho, which should be easy.

Other ideas I have:

Bespin!Leia: easy to make, but white is a stain magnet.

Sintas Vel: clothes should be easy to buy, but I'd have to dye my hair(I'm a brunette).

Geonosis!Padmé: again, white is a stain magnet.

Barriss Offee: should be able to find the clothes easily, but finding the right cloth for her cape will be a challenge, and I have no experience with body paint.

Ahsoka Tano: I'd do her post-timeskip outfit(the one-piece dress). Again, I have no experience with body paint. That, and I'd have to buy the montrals, plus I don't feel comfortable playing someone who's younger than me.

Fem!Qui-Gon Jinn: don't judge me. I have the hair for it. :p

Ideas I'm probably not going to do:

Aayla Secura: outfit is too complicated for me, and body paint.

Shaak Ti: Body paint, montrals, and her dress is too complicated.

Lumiya: I don't know where I'd find the right pattern for her suit, nor do I know where to buy a lightwhip, or her headpiece.

Darth Talon: no. Just no.

95% of everything Padmé ever wore: too complicated to make, too expensive to buy, and I'd probably ruin it.

Mandalorian warrior/Mirta Gev: armor. Too. Darned. Expensive. :_|

So...any and all advice relating to costumes is welcome. :)

8. Maulested

Jul 10, 2005
    The first weekend of January is over and I've done my first project for my SW costumes- I made a Victorian corset! I did it in a workshop led by Shelley Peters of the Kansas Mercantile. I highly recommend her class if you live in CA and want to make a corset or anything vaguely historical. I'm going to use the corset for Satine and use the pattern to make a waist clincher for the Bo Katan. I learned so much this weekend!

9. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    Sand trooper?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

10. Mandalore The Uniter

Mandalore The Uniter Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    Currently working on my Mark VI "Sky Hammer" mando armor, so I match my picture in Bounty Hunter Code more closely. I didn't want to make a 6th set of armor...but thanks Mark McHaley! At least MK6 won't weigh 95lbs, so that's somewhat of a relief.

11. Jan42Clyde

Jan42Clyde Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2014
    Hair extensions and hairpieces really can help to improve the looking of people and help to change them a lot hair extensions and hairpieces if choosing the right type and right style of hair wigs for you, of course that you will look and become more and more attractive and also buy cheap hair wigs now is easy as you can just get the ideal style that you want online at online shops now. I have just buy me a brown curly wig and it is perfect.

12. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Avoid cheap wigs. They look terrible.

If you want affordable but nice wigs, try Arda Wigs. http://arda-wigs.com/

Commander-DWH likes this.
  13. Jan42Clyde

Jan42Clyde Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2014
    Hair extensions and hairpieces really can help to improve the looking of people and help to change them a lot hair extensions and hairpieces if choosing the right type and right style of hair wigs for you, of course that you will look and become more and more attractive and also buy cheap hair wigs now is easy as you can just get the ideal style that you want online at online shops now. I have just buy me a brown curly wig and it is perfect.

14. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I'm trying to convince my husband that we need to attend at least one day! We went to CIV in LA back in 2007 and we had so much fun! I'd love to remake yet another version of the Pastel Gown if we can go, but at the same time, I'd be almost tempted to try something else. The hubby's costume (again, if we can go at all) depends on what I'll be wearing and what he feels like wearing. :D

15. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
    I am looking to make Grand Admiral Thrawn costume. What kind of fabric would I need and where is the best place to get the boots?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

16. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Fabric for Thrawn; if you could find a white suiting/bottom weight, that would probably work best.

As for boots, not sure what type he wears but I'm gonna assume it's riding boots. I'd check ebay before buying super expensive ones first.

17. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I'm hoping to go in costume for the first time to Celebration Anaheim. Planning on Endor Rebel, but I'm at the earliest stages of planning. Anyone done an Endor commando costume? I've looked at some resources online, but a lot of them seem like they haven't been updated in some time.

18. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I realized I never actually replied to this thread, in spite of reading it more than once, and this is probably because I have no idea how costumes are going to end up shaking out for Celebration. Ideally, I want to finish my Loyalist Committee Padme for this, but it might not end up being the most practical costume to wear since, as a member of command in the host base, I fully expect to spend a lot of the con running around taking care of things.

I will, however be doing all the necessary fixes for my Mission Vao costume (which likely means a half day of Chiss pilot in there because the lekku are heavy and I'm a lazy bum), Making a couple of Zayne Carrick upgrades, just wearing Kira Carsen, and probably Nomi Sunrider while I'm at it. The only one of these that I couldn't wear out right now is Nomi, but that's a solid day or two of work to complete.

So yeah, I may or may not have anything super new, but Padme would be pretty cool. However, this is a good con for obscure Star Wars costumes, so I'll be set whether or not that ends up working out.

19. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Well, if we do manage to make it to Celebration next year, our baby who's due this December will definitely be joining us! [face_love] I hope mommy Padme and baby Leia aren't too over done. :p