main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Unofficial Memphis EU Board.

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Chewbracca, Sep 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewbracca

Chewbracca Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 21, 2002
    Yo, Here's a place for Memphis EU fans to discuss the EU. I just finished "Rogue Planet", which I enjoyed. I like how they directly linked the NJO to the prequels!!!!

I am now going to read the Zahn trilogy again since it's been 11 years since I've read the 1st one!!!

2. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    I absolutly loved Rogue Planet the first time I read it, but the second time wasn't as good. I still think its a great book and love how they are tying the prequels with njo in such major way, should prove interesting. Funny thing, I never finished teh Zahn trilogy. I like stoped in the middle of the second book and never finished it.

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    I just finished Allston's Rebel Stand and am now working my way backwards to Dark Journey. I feel like Merlin. I'm living the NJO backwards. DJ is nothing compared to Rebel Dream, Rebel Stand and Traitor.

When is Zahn going to write this supposed Mara Jade book? That I'd LOVE to read.

Or did I dream that one up?

I'm certain I read that somewhere!!!! But where??

4. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    Man, I loved Traitor. Awesome book. Dark Journey has to be the my least favorite NJO book. Well, really it's the only NJO book that I haven't liked.

I would like to see another Zahn book, Mara would be a good character. I would really like to see a Zahn book about Mara and her exploits as the Emperor's Hand!!!! He he!! Bad, hot, red headed Dark Side chicks!!! :D

5. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Hmmm...DarkSide Chicks...that's that all-girl country group isn't it?
    Hey guys, today I just bought "Star Wars: The NEW Essential Guide To Characters". So I won't be so frickin' clueless when you guys talk EU next meeting. It's pretty awesome...lot's of good info in this thing.

6. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    SteveThe essential guides are awesome books. You'll probably more up to date than me when you get done reading it. Is Callista in the new essential guides? I got the one for aliens. Its a really great, and the visuals are awesome in it.

Tim The only Zahn book that i know of thats coming out is going to be dealing with Thrawn and the outbound project.

7. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    Smokem: Yes, Callista is feature in the New Essential Guide. It's updated for TPM, AOTC, and the NJO.

8. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    Hmmm, I'll have to pick that up once I start my new job! :)

So is Callista just floating around?! :0

9. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I just finished Rogue Planet - great book! Are there any more like that coming out I wonder? Tatooine Ghost will probably reference the prequels. Its about Leia though. Traitor was better than I expected. I never know with NJO...

Right now I'm reading "Shadows of the Empire" by Steve Perry. Wow! It is great!!! Since Darth Vader/Anakin is my favorite character its become one of my favorites! I love how Xizor knows he'd best be careful... one does not mess with Vader.

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Well ya shoulda been gone,
    Knowing how I made you feel.
    And I shoulda been gone.
    After all your words of steel...

Oh, Sherry....Our love...

Oh, wait a sec....there's another Steve Perry???

Does he at least have the 80's hair?

11. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    He he! Steve Perry! Holy crap that was funny!!

Man, I really like Shadows of the Empire! I didn't like the end though!!! Another really cool book with Black Sun is the e-book with Darth Maul. He takes out Black Sun single handedly (sp?). I can't remember the name of it, but it is put in the book Shadow Hunter. That one was good too.

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I haven't gone back to read any of the Prequel books beyond the novelization of Eps I & II.

Anybody know when the next NJO book is due out?

13. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    Not sure about the new NJO book, but I want to know when the AOTC novelization comes out in paperback. I thought it was this month, but the local bookstore chain didn't have any information on it.
    Rhonda, I'm working on "Shadows Of The Empire" right now, and like it so far. Xizor is one slick dude.

14. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    It usually takes 6 months to a year for a paperback to come out after the HB. :( I know, soemtimes I just can't wait though!

Man, the prequel books have been pretty good so far, though I've only real PM, AOTC, Darth MAul Shadow Hunter, and Rogue Planet. I've enjoyed them. :D

15. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Tim Zahn's Mara book was never really in the works - just some wishful thinking in the old MJFC. :(

Steve Well, there is a site called Sith Chicks, LOL. I went there once......wasn't really my scene.

~Traci

16. Steja_Palex

Aug 18, 2001
    Hey guys...I've been reading thru this "New Essential Guide To Characters", and I must say...almost every female featured in this book has had a romantic link of some sort with Luke. I had no idea young Skywalker was such a playa.

17. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    That's funny. The most whiny character in SW gets the chicks!!! :p

18. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    It must be the force :) Detiny's Way will be the next NJO book. it comes out around Oct. 1st and if your waiting for the paper back, it'll be a long wait. I am just going to by the Hardcover cause I can get it for a little bit cheaper through my book club and when I'm done anyone is welcome to borrow it. Its going to be a good one too, from what I've read about it.

As for the Prequels, Aproaching Storm is an excellent book, and cloak of deception was ok. Again if some one wants to borrow these tehy can. very interesting stuff.

19. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    Cool. I should be at my new job by the time the book comes out!!! Discount baby!! :p

Are they putting one out like every two months??

20. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    That i'm not sure about.

21. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Rhonda, I'm working on "Shadows Of The Empire" right now, and like it so far. Xizor is one slick dude.

Steve,
    Yeah he was!!! I got the feeling he was a SW mob boss... ;)

Steve Perry hahaha :D
    I get it - took me a while... :) and we talked about this at the cookout! D'oh

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    God, you're right, Rhonda- we did talk about the same thing at the cookout!!!! Leave it to me to put that joke into reruns.

I'm still reading Dark Journey. I didn't know it was going to try to become this whole "The Courtship of Princess Leia II: The Courtship of Jaina Solo" kind of thing. I'll be glad to be done with it.

And what are they up to with this whole new interpretation of The Force? They've started mentioning it in DJ, and then they expanded on it in Traitor.

Which leaves one question:

How do you interpret the nature of The Force?

(Oh, and Rhonda, will you be joining us for the SW Bowl-a-rama we're working on? And we're thinking Oct 27th for the costume party. Any problems with that?)

23. Chewbracca

Jun 21, 2002
    Hmmmm, I liked the old concept of the Dark and Light sides myself, but this new view of the force can place the blame not on a side, but on a specific person. So really, you could get angry, but not be dark, but where does that put the Sith?!?!?!?! :(

Are they now just "super dark force users" instead of Dark side users?!?!?! Is there "arcane" knowledge just the blackness inside them?!?!?

Weird stuff.:p

24. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    There just evil, and maybe, if this new view is true, ots the way the use the force or something like that.

25. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I dunno. I've always viewed The Force in terms of classic Christianity, where the Light side is likened to the power of God and the Dark side is likened to the power of Satan, and never the two shall meet. Meaning there is a definite marker between good and evil, and you are either one or the other. When Vader was redeemed, it solidified my interpretation of The Force.

Then people started this whole Dark Jedi thing, as well as the whole "Force as one" bit. I kept wondering why they didn't just refer to the Dark Jedi as Sith. But then again, these people are seeing the Force as nothing more than a power to be used like a sword or axe, leaving it up to the bearer to determine if he will use it for good or for evil. I just can't buy that. Maybe it's my years of Judeo-Christian thinking, but considering the fact that so many are tempted to the Dark side because of its ease of use and promise of quick power, I see it as evil controlling them for its own benefit, instead of visa versa. Whereas one who is strong in the Light side, and who, despite the hardships and trials of living a just life, learns to master it, can be rewarded by joining with the Force, becoming one with it for eternity. Isn't that nothing more than a strong analogy to the very widely accepted religious principles of Heaven and Hell?

So, even though Traitor was interesting as a philosophical interpretation of the Force, I completely disagree with its message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.