main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Unpopular EU opinions

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Allana_Rey, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I was disconcerted the first time I saw the GTCW since it was only 3 minutes each but got hooked on it. I can't comment on the TWC though

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I simply don't watch TCW out of respect for the Clone Wars multimedia project.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    You're not really missing a ton. TCW can be entertaining, but even for a children's cartoon, it's writing is average at best. But hey, the same can be said about the prequels...

4. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't really care for TCW, some episodes are really good, but a lot of them are just boring. Is the micro 2003 series any good? Should I give it a try?

5. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Yes. I wholeheartedly recommend the Micro-Series.

windu4, Zeta1127, JackG and 5 others like this.
  6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Completely depends. Do you have any love for stuff like Samurai Jack? If so, you'll probably like it. Just really fast, action packed short films.

7. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    My unpopular opinion is that I prefer TCW to the Micro-series and even (gasp!) the continuity of the comic
    books. Mind you, I still think that Republic was one of the best Star Wars comic lines we've ever gotten, and that the stories told therein are generally superior, but the timeline - Anakin becoming a knight mere weeks before Episode III - didn't make as much sense as TCW's does.

Grievousdude likes this.
  8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    That still shouldn't be enough abandon an excellent storyline, and I agree that the much earlier Knighting makes more sense, but I can still only see the events of the Clone Wars multimedia project happening.

9. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    This. A thousand times this.

In other places than here (thankfully!), admitting I'm a Jar Jar fan has gotten me as much vitriolic hatred that you'd think I said I like kicking puppies and kittens rather than liking a character.

When I do have my reasons (When I was a kid, I was basically the school's punching bag for being different, and about as seemingly useless- TPM came out at the right time (either last year of middle school or first year of high school, I think- been a while!) to give me a giant optimism boost, what with the things that made Jar Jar an outcast making him a hero and useful).

I can't think of a single more unpopular Star Wars opinion.

10. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Now that I've finally read it, I'll go so far as saying I didn't hate it. It didn't bore me to death like The Approaching Storm did. Some of the writing was bad to a distracting level and it's almost comical how transparent its RPG-style plot is, but I still thought it ended up being okay. Clearly, they were setting it up for more stories that never came to pass. Can't say I lament that reality.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought it was entertaining enough- not great, but not horrible.

12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Unpopular opinion, I think Stackpole is a terrible writer and is on par with KJA in terms of sheer awfulness and Isard as his Daala.

V-2 likes this.
  13. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Feels like more typical "Star Wars" to me (so, for the classics fans, oldbies, etc.) , less weird and controversial and upsetting than the new cartoon. I liked it.

14. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Luke/Callista 4Eva.

15. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
  16. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I like the NJO series and I like the Revan novel.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I found the Revan novel OK at least- maybe because I've never played the games, so came in with no expectations.

18. TheYankee

TheYankee Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2006
    I think The Clone Wars cartoon is awful and I wish it had nothing to do with continuity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    1. Thrawn is one of my least favorite characters in any book I've ever read. He annoys the **** out of me.

2. I love Karen Miller's novels.

3. I haven't read any other Karen Traviss work but I liked No Prisoners.

4. Since people have mentioned the films, I could not stand ROTS past the first 45 minutes and I loved AOTC. I also prefer ROTJ to either of the other OT movies.

5. In TCW, I liked Shadow Warrior and Evil Plans, I liked the beginning and end of Senate Spy, I couldn't stand Maul's return and the episode that aired last week, Shades of Reason, is one of the dumbest I have ever seen on television anywhere.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Has anyone ever voiced a genuine opinion that the SW Holiday Special is awesome?

I haven't seen it, so I couldn't comment- but based on the vitriol I've seen said about it, I suspect that would be a particularly unpopular opinion.

21. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    No Jar Jar in it, I'd call that a win. Also, before anyone starts complaining that the Microseries is "too unrealistic for Star Wars", note that TCW has Jedi doing Mirror's edge parkour, leapfrogging across Nal Hutta like John Carter, and Mace Windu and Anakin both pulling off midair leaps between STAPS, and defying the laws of gravity by falling off a two hundred foot wall and using the force to slow their descent.

I can buy a Jedi going Fist of the North Star on battle droids.

22. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I don't like most of the post-ROTJ EU. The Solo kids are so obnoxious and awful. I cannot stand Ben Skywalker. Chewbacca does not die. Too much of a love affair with the Fett-man, the list goes on.

Zahn brought us some good, but too much of it utterly unreadable for me. To each their own, of course.

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The Rifftrax version is one of mankind's greatest achievements.

Gorefiend and Darth_Culator like this.
  24. Jedi_Glover

Jedi_Glover Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    -Post NJO has been good in my opinions.
    - I thoroughly enjoyed Jacen's fall to the dark side.
    - Killiks were not as bad as everyone says.
    - Ben is a great character.
    - Not that much of a fan of Imperial Jag

25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Probably not as far as saying it's legitimately awesome, but then again did people ever take that seriously enough in the first place to strongly react against it? I suspect the level of overall "vitriol" it has received is kind of tame compared to the prequels or (in this forum) the works of Karen Traviss.

And moving on, Episode I Pod-Racer > Knights of the Old Republic.

Joe Antonetti and V-2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.