main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Unpopular EU opinions

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Allana_Rey, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I have no interest in seeing characters in another era re-enacting the PT.

Zorrixor, Ulicus , Gorefiend and 2 others like this.
  2. 16AndPregnant

16AndPregnant Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I don't understand how Boba Fett was a "pretender". His father was a Mandolorian. What's so bad about Boba Fett being a Mandolorian? He doesn't ruin the work of OT at all.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I think a lot of us agree with this.

4. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Your father may be from France, but if you grew up in the US and don't speak a word of the language, how French are you? Jango taught Boba some of the Mandalorian ways, but not everything (for example, I wouldn't picture Boba being fluent in Mando'a).

I never said it "ruined the work of the OT" at all. Just that I preferred it that way. You don't really get this whole unpopular EU opinions thing, do you?

5. 16AndPregnant

Jan 19, 2013
    I was just trying to understand what you were saying, popular opinion or unpopular opinion.

6. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    You don't think so? Even after he spoke it to him in Attack of the Clones? I can see Boba being raised Mandalorian without ever considering it to be all that important to his identity. Even when he was Mandalore and written by Traviss, I got the impression that the fate of the Mandalorian people weren't the number one priority on his mind.

7. 16AndPregnant

Jan 19, 2013
    Well it at least the Mandolorians weren't his main concern during the OT.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't it Huttese Jango spoke to Boba in AoTC? I think that's what it said in the first Boba Fett children's book, which takes place at the same time as AoTC, covers some of the same events, and was published in 2002.

Maybe that was retconned.

9. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    No, it was Huttese. In the Legacy of the Force novels Boba mentions that Jango never got around to teaching him Mando'a before he died, instead teaching him Huttese because of its more widespread use throughout the galaxy, especially among the circles bounty hunters and mercenaries often frequent.

While according to the Attack of the Clones Visual Dictionary, Boba had begun his Mandalorian training prior to Jango's death, for the vast majority of his life he was largely estranged from the culture. He collected stray pieces and sets of armor, even taking in one of the Mandalorian Protector's old Battle Legionnaire droids for a while, and he kept appraised of events in Mandalorian society if Twin Engines of Destruction is anything to go by. But it was only upon succeeding Fenn Shysa as Mand'alor that he really allowed himself to reconnect, and even then only sparingly up until establishing a relationship with Mirta Gev.

10. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    It's Huttese? Huh, interesting choice seeing as everyone and their dad seems to understand the language just fine. No wonder Obi-Wan wasn't fooled for a moment.

my kind of scum likes this.
  11. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    Old post, but my hardcore Star Wars beliefs in a nutshell.

12. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

I'd say these are popular EU opinions.

I think KotOR 2 is over rated and the Exile is bland.

13. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    Are you kidding? you can't mention KotOR II and the Exile without somebody coming in and stating how superior the original game is and how 1337 hax0rz epic Revan is.

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I've always found Revan and the Exile bland because in a way they're hardly even characters, they're you.

I didn't bother reading Revan, btw. Haven't played TOR, either.

15. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    But most people who mention KOTOR2 talk about how it is better then the original. Maybe it is just on fan sites, 'casual fans' like KOTOR but 'hardcore fans', like KOTOR2 better. Why do people like KOTOR2 more? I don't know, maybe cause it tries to be philosophical and 'deep', or maybe because it is 'dark'.

I find it a boring game that rips off the OT, and tires to sound deeper then it is.

Also on of the biggest 'Revan is awesome' people is Keria from KOTOR 2, so that's where it started.

16. Karohalva

Karohalva Jedi Knight star 2

May 27, 2008
    Honestly, I like Waru. He is silly only because the execution was so...well...Waru.

AusStig likes this.
  17. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    You should really work on your self-esteem. [face_beatup]

tjace and Zorrixor like this.
  18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I nearly said that, then decided I wasn't that cold. :p

Grey1 likes this.
  19. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I love Revan, but just in terms of what you can do in-game... the Exile has a lot more depth and possibilities. Revan's depth, ironically, comes from his expanded backstory and hearsay from characters in KOTOR II.

And KOTOR II rips of the OT? What game did you play? KOTOR has much more similarities to the OT than KOTOR II does. If anything, KOTOR II has closer resemblance to the PT, which is odd, considering the writing is about twelve notches above the PT.

You'll get no argument from me that, objectively speaking, KOTOR is a better made game, though.

20. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I just meant that they're not defined characters with their own personalities, they're just a collection of whatever dialogue you choose, which consists of the following options:

LS: Take my money, I don't need it.
    DS: YOU DIE NOW!

Revan and the Exile are the least interesting characters in the KOTOR games, imo.

Maybe it's just because I'm far more interested in learning about others than myself.

Compare Revan and the Exile to......Kyle Katarn, for example.

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    That is very true for KOTOR I, but depending on which path you take, KOTOR II crafts much more of a personality for you. The dialogue responses tend to be much more detailed. Light side Exile has a very specific, and very interesting IMO, personality. I'd compare it to Commander Shepard from Mass Effect. That character is "you", sure, in that you direct which path the character takes, but (s)he definitely has a personality of his/her own. You're the person who points the way, rather than completely being the character. Same thing for The Nameless One in Planescape Torment.

Revan's much more interesting as a figure, I feel. They obviously had no idea how big Revan would become, so you can only really be a paragon of Incorruptible Pure Pureness or a cackling villain. One of the things I liked about the Revan novel was that his actual personality was handled better. It's just the writing and pacing that weren't.

Not that I think KOTOR II is a better game because of this. I just think this is one aspect they did better. There are plenty of other things that KOTOR did better.

22. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    KotOR II is the first EU work that dared question the basic understanding we have of the force, maybe that wasn't epic enough for you.

Also KotOR is FAR more like the OT than KotOR II has ever been, it's the uniqueness of the story itself that makes it interesting.

Kreia started the legend that was Revan and other characters bigged him up to, just like any modern day war hero, doesn't make any of it true, Revan is definitely one of the most over-rated characters I've ever seen.

23. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

24. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, KOTOR II did a great job subverting and analyzing long standing Star Wars tropes, but it was far from the first to do it.

As for KOTOR II buffing up Revan's legend: it does to an extent, but it's worth noting that almost everything said about Revan in the game is believable, and very much in character from what we know about him. There are know "I hear Revan can blow up a planet with his mind" rumors running around. Most of the things you hear about Revan come from those who were, at one point, close to him, such as Canderous, Kreia, and HK-47. Most of them concern his connection to the Force, most of which come from his former teacher, and his skill at warfare, which comes from his former enemy and personal assassin droid. KOTOR II does somewhat play with the idea that a legend or an idea can outgrow the object of the legend itself (though Planescape Torment goes far more in depth on this), but the twist on it, I feel, is that most of what you hear is indeed true. You know this because the player character herself was there, and knows many of these things to be true (another very interesting thing KOTOR II did was to have your character know so much that you did not. Usually in these games, you have to learn about the world with your character. In KOTOR II, you're a veteran general, and you've seen a great deal of the galaxy).

Revan is definitely a character that works better when viewed from an outsider perspective. Originally I was disappointed we didn't get the conversation between Revan and Satele, but now, I'm glad we never got it. It's much better to imagine what they'd argue about, since I'm sure there would be a debate on Jedi doctrine and the Force in there. I'm very glad Drew Karpyshyn wasn't the one to write it.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The DVD subtitles also say it's Huttese.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.