main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Unpopular EU opinions

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Allana_Rey, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    It's so much better. It's so good that it makes the movie itself better by simply being associated with it.

DarthJenari, tjace, fett 4 and 3 others like this.
  2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    He's right, you know.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Dude, Revan was *everywhere* in KotOR 2. The game was about "echoes" and you couldn't go three feet without his echo smacking you in the face.

Still, your point is well made. KotOR 2 was mainly the story of the Exile, you're right, and it was remiss of me to not include her analog when she's just as important to the KotOR saga.

So now imagine those strangers who rescue Han are guided in the attempt by the semi-coherent spirit of Luke Skywalker, who was put down like a dog by Mara Jade before he ever managed to find his way to Jabba's palace.

Superb!

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not harping on TOR as a game or narrative in itself. I'm sure it's great. But as a conclusion to the KotOR saga, specifically, it can never be anything but lacking.

tjace, Rawne and GrandMasterKatarn like this.
  4. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    TOR works as a continuation of the KOTOR era, I feel, but not at all a conclusion to its characters.

5. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Well it is about as good as we could get after KOTOR 3 got canned. Thanks KOTOR 2 and Obisdian, your game was so boring it killed a mini-franchise.

Now they want to ruin the ep 3-4 era too!? Thats TFU's thing. :mad:

6. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    It starts quite well and the duel between Anakin and Dooku is laid out in great detail, but then it's as if Stover realized that he had a deadline and rushed through the rest of the book, glossing over or skipping important parts of the movie entirely. I think the ROTS novelization is highly overrated.

7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Disagree I thought how Anakin was written falling to the darkside was much better written than the flip switch version we got in the film. The temple scene is better written too. Also the Mustafar duel was far better explained and less random in the conversation.

While Stoover will always get points from me for ignoring this

Instead writing a much more tragic and interesting suit scene

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If given the timeI think it could have gone on a 1000 pages. That would have been epic

9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    While reading it for the first time, I did notice that Stover skipped a number of scenes. But I also realized quite quickly why he did it (in my estimation, at least): the movie would have done a much better job of depicting large battles between clones and droids than any prose version could hope to achieve. Besides, there are scenes in the book that aren't in the movie as well, scenes that add more depth and, like fett 4 says, more believability to Anakin's fall.

In short, it's less about the fabulous CGI and more about the characters.

AusStig, Esg and GrandMasterKatarn like this.
  10. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Because in the end no amount of special effects can create the most basic thing a movie needs, an emotional connection with the audience.

Oh wait someone already said that [face_beatup]

It would be interesting to see what people consider 'popular eu opinions'.

11. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Dunno about you mate, but I'm certainly not gonna start the "I <3 Traviss's Mandalorians" thread.

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    That's not true. There were extensive plans for the last planet. If you download the missing content mod, you can see a small amount of them, if only in skeleton form.

Ever played Planescape: Torment? I'm still working on that one myself, but I hear the ending sequence of the game is fantastic, and that it involves all of your party members, each concluding their own personal journeys that had been built up over the course of the game. KOTOR II was originally supposed to be similar to that. Instead, they had to cut everyone's sequence but Mira's, and she only got a small part of what she originally had. You can also play a small part of Atton's in the Restoration mod, the part where he has to fight Darth Sion (alas, it still feels very incomplete).

If there's a part of KOTOR II that was completely gutted due to time constraints, it was Malachor V.

The only reason KOTOR II was done by Obsidian at all was because Bioware had no interest in doing KOTOR II. KOTOR III never got past the planning stage.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Also, by skipping Kashyyyk he discourages the reader from thinking about the implications of Yoda finding out Palpatine is a Sith right after Mace does.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I haven't read RotS beyond the opening chapter or two, but I do know about the end scene, and I also have heard about the rather corny lines Anakin says when killing the Separatists, which make me cringe. I liked the silent take on that scene in the movie.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Though they do mention Mace contacting Yoda and letting him the news. I do wish they showed the Battle of Kashyyk and shown Order 66.

16. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    On an individual basis, most of the LOTF and FOTJ novels are actually pretty entertaining reads.

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    That's the one thing I feel the movie does better than the novel. Anakin should have been completely silent when he was killing the Jedi and Separatist leaders; he's not Caine. I get what Stover was going for, though. He was clearly trying to make Anakin appear more maniacal, appear more obsessed with his new found powers (which Lucas even somewhat did when Anakin spoke to Padme), intoxicated after finally giving into what he had skirted for so many years. I just don't think it worked as well. While Anakin has fallen by this point, I believe he's still hating his decision every step of the way. I'm not sure he ever truly stops hating his decision, even after becoming Vader.

It's odd that Lucas left it in, which makes me suspect Lucas changed his mind on how dark Anakin would be portrayed.

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed! Betrayal, Bloodlines, Exile, Inferno and Fury are amazing by themselves.

19. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    This makes much more sense to me - as if Mace wouldn't quickly contact Yoda -- Yoda is right next to a freakin' comm! But I think it's due to time restraints of the movie, though. Does the film explicitly say Yoda was unaware? [face_thinking] It implies he's shocked when Order 66 occurs, but I don't know.

20. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    3. This is new to me. I knew they wanted to do something where people confront Kreia, and explain what they were doing, but all I read was that they were on the ship.
    Didn't they ripe off one of their others when they made KOTOR 2?

As for KOTOR 3, all the info I have is that Lucas arts hit a rough patch and dropped KOTOR 3, but kept TFU. This seems like an odd choice, new ip over existing one, so I assumed they did not like what happened with KOTOR 2/ thought it was boring.

21. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Luke is a shameless nepotist that puts his friends and family above the greater good. He just is not as hardcore as his father about it. But he does neglect his duties esp in the NJO.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That's my point.

23. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Would it be an unpopular opinion if one were to say that the choice to make Vergere into "Darth Chicken" instead of continuing with keeping her as ambiguous as possible was a mistake? Because I personally feel that this is the case; making her into a pet Sith who was just another part of an overarching dark side plot cheapened her character considerably. Especially when she's implied to have hatched this scheme along with Lumiya and even confirmed to have had contact with the bloke who'd end up being Darth Krayt (A'Sharad Hett, who himself is an unnecessary "blast from the past").

Yeah, I don't like LotF as a series, and none of the books in it stood out as anything more than one character after another catching the Idiot Ball. The exception is Revelation which, as far as I can tell, is the only novel in Star Wars EU that actively sought to undermine its sequel.

Zeta1127 and GrandMasterKatarn like this.
  24. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I would suggest that disliking the Darth Chicken retcon is a popular opinion, actually.

25. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    He really is. The way I see it, to really get ROTS you have to both watch the movie and read the novel, as each expands on different parts. For example, the opening duel between Dooku and Obi-wan and Anakin is nice in the movie, but rather short and abrupt. Not really a satisfying ending when you've read and watched every Clone Wars Era source and you know all the pain he's caused not only to the galaxy but to Anakin specifically, and how this has then effected Anakin. On screen, it's extremely anticlimactic, but it makes sense because of time constraints and the fact that Dooku isn't Palpatine, and the fight we've all been waiting for since ROTJ is Anakin/Darth Vader vs Obi-Wan. In the novel however, it's given a lot more time and is better for it. You get a good view of Dooku and the way he views himself, as well as the differences between Anakin and Obi-Wan, along with how Anakin views himself. Yeah he's a guy with massive anger issues, but what he really struggles with is his fear, which is what finally leads to him crossing over that line. In general, Anakin's fall is far better in the novel than it is in the movie.

Agreed on the "Darth Chicken" retcon. It did nothing but damage to the character, who was then needlessly tied to the Legacy series via Darth Krayt. I have no idea why they keep trying to connect so many random things together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.