main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Unpopular EU opinions

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Allana_Rey, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    TOTJ is better than KOTOR

(I don't mean to bump this thread)

Gamiel likes this.
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I LIKE NOMI SUNRIDER.

**** you instantdeadweight!

...but Vima was an annoying little brat. I hate kids. Kids are noisy, messy and expensive. Much as Uliq learned to his instant untimely death.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I like Nomi AND Dash Rendar!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I liked Vima more than Nomi. [face_plain]

instantdeath and MercenaryAce like this.
  5. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    I actually enjoyed much of FOTJ's premise despite poor execution.

I'd love to see an adaptation by Pablo or Stover of the Glove of Darth Vader series.

kataja likes this.
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I can't stand Mara Jade, Kyp, or Corran.

7. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Which premise? The political issues facing the Jedi? Crazy Jedi? Lost Tribe of Sith? Alberoth?

8. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Lost Tribe. Abeloth. Slave Revolts.Even Crazy Jedi. Lescerson Conspiracy.

All those had merit and potential. But none were executed correctly.

Daala not so much.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Vima was a major part of Redemption. Therefore, she's way better than Nomi. You really can't blame her for being rebellious, considering who she had as a parent.

And I am not... okay, I'm totally deadweight.

If it means anything, I've been reevaluating my hatred for Dash Rendar, and as a result find that most of it is unfounded. I still think he's uninteresting, but he's no longer a most hated or anything.

See, I'm not totally set in my ways!

Revanfan1 and DigitalMessiah like this.
  10. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The Lost Tribe would've been cool if they hadn't simply become knock-off/stand-ins for the off-limits One Sith, the slave revolts should've been a chance to showcase Jedi benevolence outside a situation of major warfare, Abeloth would've been interesting if she'd been connected to Mortis much earlier and hadn't been lazily handed the keys to the kingdom on a silver platter, and the one plotline you didn't mention—Luke and Ben's odyssey of Force-sects—would've worked better as a goodwill tour undertaken by the Grandmaster and his son to foster better relations between the Jedi and these varied organizations, instead of the vague "backtrack find when Jacen went wrong" trip that went nowhere.

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    With the caveat that I find very little of value or interest in the post-NJO:

Personally, I think connecting Abeloth to Mortis was a mistake -- providing any exposition on Mortis was a mistake IMO. The trilogy was completely ambiguous to the reality of its events and what they meant, but even the most literal interpretation still was misinterpreted by Denning -- the Ones had nothing to do with balancing the Force; the Father was afraid that when he died, his children might cause imbalance. They never influenced the balance of the Force in the galaxy.

I think Jacen's whole Force odyssey is another misinterpretation or deliberate retroactive continuity by Denning... Jacen didn't go to learn "cool Force powers," he went to gain understanding of the Force. And yet his understanding of the Force regressed. He had the seed of true understanding, and briefly achieved a moment of unity with the universe and knew the key was total surrender, and then I guess he chose to go learn a bunch of cool superpowers for himself -- but Jacen of all people would realize that seeking personal power only serves to separate the ego from unity. Furthermore, the concept is uninteresting from a narrative perspective, which is why it was quickly abandoned after two books.

Gamiel, Ulicus and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  12. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Don't know how i missed mention Luke and Ben. I knew I forgot something.

But yes, exactly what you said.

Every single one of those plot lines could have been a very interesting and unique thing to delve into that we haven't seen before in the EU. But all wound up being disappointing.

Personally I think its because there were too many utterly unrelated ideas forced together in one series. Each of those should have been a standalone duology or trilogy with maybe some crossover, not what we got.

Sad to see potential wasted like that.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I like Daala coming to power. I just wish if had been better executed, considering the detail the Lecersen Conspiracy had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daala and kataja like this.
  14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'd be down with Daala coming into power. So long as it involved her crashing a star destroyer into the senate rather than sleeping with everyone and their bothan.

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    PARADOX!!!!

(Yeah, yeah, I know what you meant)

16. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002
    There shouldn't be a New Republic at all.

Because having one single galaxy-spanning government is inherently dark side. That is order to a large scale, and imposing your will on the natural order of things.

Instead...the galaxy should fall into its old pattern which was disorder. Because life, light side, is inherently about letting things be.

Instead...what should happen...should be like say what the French experienced in Algeria. Or, what the Americans experienced in Vietnam. You *could* win, at the cost of ... blowing up every planet in the galaxy. Or, you could accept defeat. So, the Core Worlds accept defeat.

17. Darth_Culator

Darth_Culator Jedi Master star 2

Dec 10, 2005
    Your other opinions may be unpopular, but at the very least this is something most of us can agree on. :p

18. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thrawn while at times interesting is likewise annoying in that his reasonings and his almost always right manner isn't credibly explained. I never thought Luke was handled well as far as relationships went and I certainly don't think he'd wed Mara. I am all for redemption but she's simply not suited to him.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Darth Krayt was a terrible and lame main villain for Star Wars Legacy.

Anakin Solo's death, while sad, was necessary for the NJO to really become a good series. After Star by Star, NJO had quite a rise in the overall quality of its novels and it helped give some pretty amazing character development for Jacen, Jaina and Tahiri.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Agreed about Anakin. To take it a step further, I really don't think his character and arc is particularly interesting.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Why?

22. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I didn't find the conclusion's of Jacen's interesting or worthy either. I don't see how killing a main character that was well liked made the NJO good and had to happen.

23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Neither of those are unpopular.

He's not very original as a character. He's constantly compared to Luke in the OT, but he doesn't have Luke's depth. He mostly exists to serve as a foil to Jacen. I don't think it was strictly necessary for him to die, but it's hard to envision a role for him after he died in the series, and his death did propel some interesting stories.

Edit: That said, I think in the planning stages of the series, it might have been better if they took a different route, and had the Solo son that wasn't the main character of the series (Anakin) become a privateer with Han instead of a Jedi that dies, and give the main character (Jacen) a foil that wasn't a Solo child, such as Zekk.

I dislike the idea of having any of Han and Leia's children die, but Anakin's served a better purpose than Jacen's by far. I suppose having someone like Zekk die wouldn't be particularly as traumatic to Jacen for the purposes of Traitor, though.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    There's a lot I really like about FOTJ!

25. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Wedge should have been the main character in the X-Wing series.
    Katarn annoys me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.