main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Leia > Luke

Sent from my LGL33L using Tapatalk

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Poe Dameron is a murdering psychopath.

I don't care what side you're on. Anybody who gets that much enjoyment out of killing people is pretty psychotic. That sequence where he guns down like a dozen people in five seconds during the battle on Maz Kanata's planet, he was as happy as can be.

Imagine a US Air Force or Navy fighter pilot, high ranking or not, getting that much enjoyment out of killing people, even if they are the bad guys, and the subsequent labels that would be placed on him.

Just saying.

EDIT: Okay, maybe that was a little harsh. But you get my point...

ezekiel22x, MidKnighT and KyloBen like this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I didn't see a man enjoying killing people. I saw a man shooting down TIE fighters flown by men who would gladly kill him, men who supported a regime of tyranny, torture, and murder. He's no different from Han and Luke. "I got him!" "Great, kid, don't get cocky."

4. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    What do TPM, AOTC, and ROTJ have in common?

They're the three most underrated Star Wars movies, imo.

5. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Sarge:

Luke displayed serious apprehension and doubt, and ultimately, yes, victory.

Poe displayed pure enjoyment. Something a seasoned combat vet would not.

6. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    unpopular opinion:

although I haven't thought it on the numerous occasions I've seen TFA. Rellum Kire kind of has a point :p

Rellum Kire likes this.
  7. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I didn't like how Finn just after switching sides was cheering when blowing up former comrades.

MidKnighT likes this.
  8. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    The prequels are overrated.

TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  9. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Personally, I feel that most of the PT characters are uninteresting and dull. The majority are only saved by the EU and the Clone Wars cartoons (Dooku and Maul are perfect examples of this).

Howard Hand likes this.
  10. Sebulba's Vendetta

Sebulba's Vendetta Jedi Padawan

Jan 2, 2016
    Hayden Christensen Force Ghost > Sebastian Shaw Force Ghost

11. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    The story and characterizations in The Force Awakens are weak. The movie is only saved due to great performances and technical execution, even though both the visuals and sound department are nothing special. It also features John William's most unremarkable Star Wars soundtrack.

The second season of Rebels started off strong, but has now become rather stale and repetitive.

Add Battlefront to the mix, 2015 was a very disappointing year for Star Wars and 2016 has not started off any better.

Samnz and darskpine10 like this.
  12. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Have you listened to the soundtrack by itself? That always helps with appreciating what the score is doing, at least for me. And Rey's Theme and Jedi Steps are two of the greatest pieces Williams has ever written, IMO.
    And I thought the sound department was especially remarkable in the film- to the point that you can hear the lightsabers sizzling in the snow!
    I agree that the film had great performances, if not quite the strongest story, though I have to question the distinction you draw between characterization and performance, since the two seem to me at least to be rather intricately linked. We're there characters in particular you intended to be referring to?

Darkslayer and Howard Hand like this.
  13. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Mr. Forest wrote

The second season of Rebels started off strong, but has now become rather stale and repetitive.

I've heard that, too. Loved the first season and am currently catching up with The Clone Wars but have already been advised that following the second season it's supposedly becoming stale and repetitive, too.

I guess I should put my remaining hopes on Rogue One?

14. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I'd say that, like season one, it has a weak first half. It looks like they're building up to a really big finale, though...

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Rellum Kire, how many seasoned combat vets do you know? I've been on 8 deployments to the Mideast and logged hundreds of flights over Iraq and Afghanistan, and I have no problem with Poe's attitude.

16. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    SatineNaberrie

When TFA was being marketed last year, it never once occurred to me that Finn could be a Stormtrooper who defected to the Rebellion/Resistance. I had assumed he was always one of the good guys, like a lone Han Solo type, who manages to infiltrate the Stormtrooper ranks. I agree that his turn to fight against the First Order was too quick. An AWOL soldier quickly turns around and fights the very army he was a part of, and makes jokes along the way. Also that bromance he gets into right away with Poe had me shaking my head a bit. I wonder if all Stormtroopers are equipped with such zazz and personality to them.

And that whole "TRAITOR!" line was a bit unnecessary. Like Kylo Ren gives two zits about one Stormtrooper who fell out of rank.

Slicer87 likes this.
  17. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The OT characters and the Galactic Civil War era is the least interesting aspect of SW in all of EU material and canon. Including non canon. Yep. [face_plain]

Sarge Thank you, for your service :)

darskpine10 likes this.
  18. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Sarge

Out of curiousity: How did you feel about Solo's negative G-turn in ESB?

19. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Sarge

I know a few. I've seen guys with some issues when they return, but I don't feel right asking them about it because I wasn't there and it's not my place to.

Either way, again, celebrating victory is one thing. Actively enjoying doing it while you're doing it is another. I never said Poe's attitude was wrong per se, just pointing out that realistically we are dealing with a much more hardened warrior than what Disney wants to portray him as.

Just a side note, I'm currently in the enlistment process myself and trying to go combat arms. Had a few kinks along the way but hopefully it all gets worked out soon.

Dandelo and Sarge like this.
  20. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015

True, I know that the intention of the line was to make Finn "snap" but Kylo's attack on Rey was more than enough to motivate it and would have actually been more poignant. A rare misstep in terms of character-writing in TFA.

21. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Well kylo was confused emotionally and injured and frustrated with what had happened on star killer base . So I have no problem with that line. It was ferocious

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Lt. Hija, I'm trying to remember a negative-G turn in ESB; what part of the film was that? Anyway, it shouldn't be a big deal for SW ships which logically must be equipped with some form of inertial compensator and artificial gravity, so negative G's shouldn't be an issue for the crew.

23. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Sarge, when Solo sent the Falcon into a dive before the Star Destroyers got entangled with one another.

Sarge likes this.
  24. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    I don't give a damn about the changes Lucas made to the originals. There, I said it.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Lt. Hija, OK, I remember that now. Like I said before, as long as the Falcon's internal gravity fields are working better than the hyperdrive, it's not an issue. It would be a real pain in the real world, though.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.