main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Indeed it is, as I mentioned above and have gone into at great length here, but the prequel trilogy is no THX-1138. Completely different. Lucas has said that what he loves most is non-narrative experimental stuff -- ie. no characters, or at the very least, minimal character arcs. Zero blockbuster appeal. THX was a glimpse of that, of telling a story almost completely visually and through nonlinear audio experimenting. The prequels definitely have an experimental streak, but it is the polar opposite of the cold, hard sci-fi experimental edge that Lucas was going for when he was younger. Some of the movies he produced or supported in the meantime perhaps reflected this experimental spirit more, like Koyaanisqatsi and Akira Kurosawa's Dreams.

AshiusX, Ewok Poet and Ezon Pin like this.
  2. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I also don't think The Force Awakens is hollow. There's a few critical flaws that make things a bit unclear, even if they are there, visually.

3. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

I would still say that the PT is experimental just as THX.

Who in their right mind, would sacrifice the popularity of the biggest franchise, over Story?

L110 likes this.
  4. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Undoubdetly. And so is the original trilogy, not to mention both the prequel and original trilogies as a one six part whole. Lucas never fully abandoned his experimental ways.

Ezon Pin and xezene like this.
  5. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I agree. It encompasses all the embelishment aspects of filmaking evenly, while keeping the "motion/moving picture" as it's core.

This is why I laugh at the "oh he just didn't to sell toys" nonsense. The reality is that he went against EVERYTHING that was current pop culture. The prequel trilogy is perhaps even more "maverick" than the OT.

xezene and Ezon Pin like this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Agree on the EU and NJO points. The NJO series is what the ST should be.
    TFA is still a good movie imo but NJO level? Nope.
    So you agree that Vergere wasn't teaching Jacen to be Sith?

xezene likes this.
  7. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Right. In no way, shape, or form was Vergere teaching Jacen to be a Sith. I think that to think so is to miss the point in a profound way. *glares at Denning et. al*
    In fact, I would go so far as to say that the notion of Jacen going to the dark side after the events of NJO is laughable as a concept. It would require Jacen to fundamentally misunderstand everything that happened and everything he learned (which they make him do....grrrrr). It all gets extremely regressive. So overall, in my mind I end the EU at the end of NJO....
    And yeah, regarding TFA -- it's not bad by any means. It's fun. Just in my opinion, as a whole thing, it's just okay, under the zip and fun. Just my two cents though. ^.^

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    PTSD might have caused some damage but LOTF? Not a chance. Clone? Sure.
    The Lumiya retcon, is what I call it.
    Maybe the two met, maybe they talked, and Lumiya misconstrued Vergere's teachings for her own purposes. Lumiya not wanting to hurt Luke? Yeah right. Jacen falling would do more harm than her just killing Jacen.
    Yeah, DNT/LOTF/FOTJ certainly don't have as good an ending as the NJO series does.

Ezon Pin and xezene like this.
  9. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Continuity between works in a series released at different dates is overrated when a small tweak to an earlier work can make the later story more powerful while having an almost unnoticeable effect on the former. (Just be careful the audience understands exactly how the tweak is supposed to work and doesn't get confused by different versions.)

10. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    The likable actors and well made VFX are the only remotely good things about The Force Awakens.

Darth Basin and Ezon Pin like this.
  11. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    George Lucas is my favourite filmmaker/director.

The Venator is my favourite star destroyer design, over all those in the OT.

I prefer the Battle of Naboo to any battle scene in the OT.

12. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015
    This. Reasons why I liked Finn, Poe and Rey were because of how great the actors were, not their characters.

13. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    Ultimately, only the first film matters

Being 'bold', 'experimental', etc. ≠ good / a justification

KaleeshEyes likes this.
  14. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015
    I very much loved Anakin's outburst after the tusken event.

He was incoherent, confused and overall great acting. Thought it was a great scene in AOTC.

15. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Agreed, I especially love how he starts blaming Obi-Wan, even though he had nothing to do with it. It shows how he's not thinking straight at all.

And then how horrified he sounds when he confesses to Padme.

One of my favourite Anakin scenes.

wobbits, xezene, Davak24 and 4 others like this.
  16. {Quantum/MIDI}

Dec 21, 2015

I think it perfectly contrasts with his decision in ROTS.

In ROTS, he does the same thing, however, he didn't recognize his errors unlike AOTC.

AOTC Anakin is still self aware of his errors. He knew he did wrong but ROTS Anakin was blinded.

17. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    JJ. Abrams is a mediocre filmmaker and a careless storyteller.

Darth Basin likes this.
  18. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    JJ is a good filmmaker but is let down by poor storytelling and directing. He is too much of a fan which makes him not very reflective and immune to his own flaws.

L110 likes this.
  19. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    JJ Abrams must not have done too badly with TFA, as I haven't seen anybody calling him Jar Jar Abrams as of late.

20. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    The moderators have been cracking down on that appellation recently, actually.

21. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I was partially joking, but in reality I haven't seen it on any other Star Wars forums, or even Facebook either.

22. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    They can be both. And they are, except TFA.

23. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016

Or I could say they aren't one or the other, or that you are over-emphasising certain things, reading too much into the films from the outside, using ex post facto claims, etc., etc. Basically, all manner of things. And you lot have been using 'experimental' to try prove 'good' when these are mutually exclusive.

And T.F.A. is a good film (not an unpopular opinion)

24. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I preferred TESB SE over OOT TESB.

25. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I prefer Jedi Rocks (the scene, not the track) to Lapti Nek. I just really dislike Sy Snootles limp puppet jigging up and down uselessy, and the music doesn't really feel appropriate. The singers feel more alive and energised in the new version, and I love the sudden tonal shift from bizarre alien musical number to vicious murder by Rancor.