main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Honestly, we would've headed in that direction back in 77. Back in the old drafts, SW had 2 female leads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Padme is one of my least favorite Star Wars characters. It's not because I have any particularly hate towards her, more for the fact I find she's one of the dullest characters in the films. Even characters I dislike leave some form of impact on me, Padme does nothing of the sort.

wobbits, Dandelo, Sarge and 5 others like this.
  3. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Same. A lot of it is due to Portman's indifferent performance.

wobbits, Dandelo, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  4. AllyoftheForce

AllyoftheForce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2016
    I REALLY like the Rathtars scene from TFA. It adds to the film's spirit of adventure, and is reminiscent of other scenes in the series that are centered around monstrous creatures, like the Dianoga scene from ANH, and the Exogorth scene from ESB.

5. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    My unpopular opinion is that the ROTS Mustafar duel isn't all that great. It looks overly choreographed and I don't feel any excitement or emotion for most of the fight. I actually enjoy many of the other ROTS duels more. Here's my ranking for them:

1.) Mace vs. Palpatine: not the best choreography but was very interesting to see Palpatine finally reveal himself to the Jedi and act all scary. This ranking is probably also very unpopular lol.

2.) Yoda vs. Sidious: it had an epic feel to it with Duel of the Fates playing. Even though the choreography is over the top, it still works because it's the ultimate good guy Force user vs. the ultimate bad guy Force user; these are not ordinary people and as such, have an extra-ordinary duel.

3.) Anakin & Obi-Wan vs. Dooku: good choreography and a nice finish with Anakin exploring the dark side.

4.) Anakin vs. Obi-Wan: It was okay. It looks way too choreographed and the over-the-top sequences (like lava surfing) aren't all that engaging. I also think it's emotionally devoid until Obi-Wan's final speech (which I don't count as part of the duel)

5.) Obi-Wan vs. Grievous: In general, I have the most grievances with this duel (pun intended). This one actually looks like there was no planned choreography. It looks like they shot a bunch of close-ups with Obi-Wan to avoid having to show the logistics of how you fight someone with four lightsabers. I wish they had just made Grievous have only two lightsabers; that would have allowed for realistic choreography that they could actually show, instead of hiding it behind close-ups.

6. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    ROTS (while good) is the most overrated and weakest of the saga.

7. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    ESB can't stand up to ROTJ.

While ESB is just as beautiful, ROTJ has the subtle themes, imagery and amazing narrative.

Another unpopular opinion...

I never really loved Han Solo.....Ever. Like, even as a child..

Hell, I didn't really connect with Luke as a kid like my friends did...Leia, Anakin and Qui-Gon are the characters I loved as a kid..

Last one....

On TFA, I think it has one of my favorite lightsaber fights, despite all my disdain with everything that happened. Finn vs Kylo felt so tense and unprofessionally profession(is this a thing?).

It doesn't even stand up to any of the fights like Qui-Gon vs Maul are Ani vs 0bi but it's very well done and seems to be overshadowed by Rey's Fight with Kylo..

8. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I don't usually come up with another unpopular opinion so fast but another one would be that I don't mind Yoda and the Emperor having lightsabers.

9. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    AFAIK the reason why Grievous has two arms cut off in nine seconds is because they didn't know how to choreograph a lightsaber fight using four sabres. What happened to pushing the boundaries of possibility? And the close up shots are obviously to hide the scrappiness.

theMaestro and DarthCricketer like this.
  10. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    TFA is one of the best things to happen to SW in a long time.

11. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    Yeah it's pretty silly how there's moments where Grievous takes two lightsabers and swings them both together as if they were one lightsaber. And there's other moments where he's like "Now I'll swing with this one.....now this other one....and how bout this one?!". If he was really trained by Dooku, he should know how to actually use his 4 lightsabers.

But, like we're saying, they probably just couldn't figure out how to choreograph such a duel. And to be fair, I can't imagine how they would pull it off either. Ryan Wieber (of the Ryan vs. Dorkman and Ryan vs. Brandon fan lightsaber duels) mentioned on a podcast that there's really no way it's even possible to successfully duel someone with 4 lightsabers who knows they're doing. But yeah they hid this with close-ups and a lot of superfluous lightsaber twirling to give the illusion of a chaotic fast-paced duel.

Sarge and DarthCricketer like this.
  12. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    I'm pretty sure that the admission they couldn't do it was actually in the DVD commentary, which makes it official I suppose! Realistically it would be impossible for Kenobi to beat him with four lightsabers and very difficult with two because of Grievous' much longer reach, greater physical strength and more mobile joints. The whole thing is sadly unsatisfying. The thing is they didn't even try. Ray Harryhausen animated a fight with a six-armed beast in 1973, using stop motion for God's sake!

And the two to four lightsabers being used as one thing continued in TCW. If anything it's worse, and Grievous in general is ridiculously impotent. All because Filoni was didn't want to sacrifice one of his forgettable, contrived *good* characters.

Sarge, theMaestro and DarthCricketer like this.
  13. Onli-Wan Kannoli

Onli-Wan Kannoli Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2016
    I don't like the main Star Wars theme. It's just too...loud. Or maybe I just don't like the higher-pitched horns in the films, because I enjoy TCW opening theme.

14. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    *reels back in horror*

15. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    The Yoda and Sidious fight is one of the best in the series, probably the best one in Revenge of the Sith. Part of it probably a bit of pandering but it was so exciting to finally see the Emperor go off against the most legendary Jedi of all time and meeting their match. A lot is at stake, for both of them, and their reactions and banter with each other is top of the line.

16. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    ROTJ is seriously underrated.
    Boba Fett is seriously overrated.
    The main saga should have ended with episode 6.
    TFA butchered the SW universe.
    The Empire should have won.
    TFU doesn't deserve the hate it gets.
    The Jedi-Sith conflict is really pointless.
    The original EU (Now Legends) is best part of Star Wars.
    Disney is killing Star Wars.

Evening Star and xezene like this.
  17. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    The original CW series is much better than the 2008 reboot.
    Dark Empire was great and doesn't deserve the hate.
    Omega Squad shouldn't have defected.
    The RepCom books should have had less Mando stuff in them. (It feels out of place with the game)
    No more gimmicky lightsabers! The original design is perfectly fine.
    TFA has the worst aliens; it really should have used the old species.
    Ahsoka Tano is a living plothole.
    Durge is one of the coolest SW villains.

18. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    I'd venture to say that that duel isn't—that is, does not appear—particularly fast-paced at all but instead quite awkward looking. I'd say that, compared to many of the other duels in the same film and the P.T. in general, the actual actor [Ewan] doesn't spend much time doing strange wrist-flicks and baton-twirling because he doesn't have a clear enough idea of what he's fighting in order to be able to have such stuff choreographed into the scene. Fact is that half the time, Grievous uses two or even three lightsabers as one, and there is usually at least one just held away not being used. Any actual sparring looks much more awkward and clumsy than anything from the Star Wars fight. One person summed it up as such:
    In 'reality' (S.W.-wise), there's no way Obi-wan could've won, but the thing is that, as filmed, he doesn't even find it hard. To me, Obi-wan seems almost like a bully with the ease about which he gets rid of Grievous.

KaleeshEyes likes this.
  19. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Completely agreed. My only slight quibble, if I had to name one, is that I was under the impression that most people thought this, so I’m not sure why it’s in an unpopular opinions thread.

20. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    There is the fact that Obi-Wan is a Jedi, which means that he has the force reflexes.

It simply seems like a refutation of the theme of faith overcoming technology. Grievous may have the advantage of 4 lightsabers, but he's also overconfident, not seeing the trap the Clones are about to set, and Obi-Wan best Grievous' technological terror.

21. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Really? I was under the impression that George Lucas very decisively trashed the whole faith vs. materialism theme two films prior to that:

Sarge, KaleeshEyes and DarthCricketer like this.
  22. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Well, no, Midichlorians don't give you force powers, they still require training and belief in the force to use.

23. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    Ah yes, the over-confident person who just jumps into the midst of their enemy without hesitation.

...Wait, wrong character.

Both characters act in an over-confident, or should I say, rather stupid manner in those scenes, to the point where it hurts suspension of disbelief.

And, in case you didn't notice, I've said or implied that part of the problem is not Obi-wan winning in itself, but the fact that he finds it so easy is the problem with those scenes, or one of the problems anyway.

Incidentally, assuming that there was more behind the fight than just disposing of a minor character, the P.T. and S.W. in general do not lack a 'faith over technology' thing (death star, death star two, most of the Jedi vs Droid fights), so one fight where much of it happens without lightsabers (and during which, it is a more even fight, funnily enough) is not going to do much in the way of depth.

(Although you said refutation, which in a way is true, because no character seems to think about faith in the P.T.)

Given that the Jedi win most of the time during the P.T., again, no depth there really. It'd be more powerful seeing Obi-wan at least struggle, perhaps win only because of something he didn't do, and this could be used to show that the Jedi Order is beginning to lose its way (I've written reams about this in Community).
    And what said that Jedi should be almost invincible? In the P.T., they are, but I think that this loses an opportunity of adding depth to their order, that when the screws begin to be turned on them, the shallower more material one lose because they actually lack what they really need.

Anyway, I don't think Grievous even has enough character to put a message to him. All of his own lines, and all but one (I.I.R.C.) of the lines said about him would be invariable regardless of whether he is cyborg, human, alien, whatever. And 'visual storytelling' or 'metaphor' is not a substitute for writing a character with character, and can be too easily distorted to be reliable.

Moving on:
    Well, they do, otherwise one's power as a Jedi wouldn't be depended on midichlorian levels. And given that Anakin can do things 'Jedi-like' without thinking about them, and faith is not invoked much (if at all) in the P.T., the second part is inaccurate as well.

KaleeshEyes likes this.
  24. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    The whole point of midichlorians is that they DO determine your Force power. It’s like an ability score in DUNGEONS & DRAGONS. As we’re told, Anakin Skywalker has over 20,000 Force. Too bad his Charisma score is absolutely abysmal.

Sarge, KaleeshEyes and DarthCricketer like this.
  25. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    But Anakin is never actually shown as being more powerful than Yoda, quite the opposite.

Anakin is easily beaten by Dooku, who is then more or less beaten by Yoda. They both presumably have lower Midi counts than Anakin, as does Obi-Wan who also beats Anakin.

A high count simply implies a potential for force training. That's why Obi-Wan chooses to watch over and train Luke, because the force runs in his family.

However, the PT doesn't make force potential genetic, that was ROTJ. If anything, TPM goes against a genetics argument, by having Shmi have no force powers whatsoever.

Evening Star likes this.