main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. missile

missile Jedi Padawan star 1

May 24, 2016
    unpopular opinion

revan is the most overated character,not just in star wars.......but in ALL THE STAR WARS.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Fully agreed

And this is someone who's been playing his debut game for just shy of 13 years

Ezon Pin likes this.
  3. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I've always seen Revan as more of a blank slate than a fully fleshed-out character (by design). Darth Malak and the other side characters of KOTOR are far more interesting to me.

TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  4. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    the yuuzhan vong were a terrible addition to star wars

5. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015

Best post in this entire thread.

DarthCricketer and KaleeshEyes like this.
  6. IrB

IrB Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    I guess my opinion in the following matter is quite unpopular:
    I think that "Do or do not, there is not try" is a stupid sentence and in that moment Yoda is a really inadequate teacher who shows no patience, because Luke has already lifted a bit his ship, although just very little and for a very short time. Luke should have gone on trying again and again. Probably every time he would have lifted his ship a little more, until he would have understood he could do it totally and do it all alone. Surely, that would have taken hours, maybe some days of tiring attempts, but at the end Luke would have gained more confidence in his resources. Instead in TESB, Yoda just shows him that the master can do what his pupils can't.

7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I get where you're coming from. I'm actually not that bothered about Rey and Jyn because I think they are things that could have happened organically anyway regardless of the political correctness that dictated it.

In Rey's case, the previous two trilogies being predominantly about men, sure, okay, make the next one about a powerful Jedi daughter. Without the gap in between the release of the OT and ST, and without the political correctness guiding it, I think that a female protagonist is something that could have developed naturally. When you look at the PT, OT, ST timeline, continuing on with a male as the primary protagonist might seem repetitive and stale from a writing point of view.

In Jyn's case, a woman, in a film about an undercover stealthy mission, I could also see why a woman might be in place there. We still don't know what advantage her being a woman might add to the success of the mission. Maybe she seduces an Imperial and gains access to things. Not that she has to do that in order to be successful, but it is a successful tactic women have used throughout history when it comes to espionage and gaining information. As opposed to a male who could be slaughtered on the spot if someone suspects even in the slightest bit that this person could be dangerous to the Empire.

To me, the biggest Ghostbuster's style slap in the face came in the form of Captain Phasma. Let's take the most hardened, lethal, unforgiving army in the galaxy and make a woman one of it's most visible field commanders.

I would agree with your point wholeheartedly, if, and only IF, the next main protagonist in these upcoming SW films is a woman. Again, not to be a misogynist, and agreeing with the old cliché that women are just as capable of men, but if the next main protagonist is a woman I will see it as nothing more than pandering to political correctness. It's already been done with Star Trek by ret-conning that one character as a homosexual. And if it becomes blatantly obvious in the next SW film or films that this what they are doing than I might have to take a step back from it as well. Right now I am still hopeful that this won't happen.

Woodbine likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    General warning:

We have both a hate speech and a sexism policy here and any whining about "political correctness" is not acceptable, and comments about a woman in power only being useful for seduction are definitely not acceptable.

"Unpopular opinions" that violate the TOS should not be posted.

This line of discussion gets dropped now.

Sepra and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  9. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    anakinfan edit:

Telling moderators how to do their jobs? Also not allowed.

10. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    All the PT villains (excluding Palpatine) are terrible. Maul can hardly even qualify as a character, people only give Dooku a pass because of Christopher Lee, Jango was pretty meh, and Grievous felt like he came out of an 80's cartoon. Even Palpatine himself sort of became a caricature of himself in ROTS.

Birkendoc, Avnar, redxavier and 3 others like this.
  11. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    The general opinion pretty much agree on the villains being bland aside from Ian's character.

12. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    I'm not quite sure about that. I know plenty of people who liked those villains.

13. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I prefer Grievous in ROTS and TCW to his Microseries portrayal.

Darth Basin and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  14. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    "This thread is just so dense. There's just so much going on in every post." -Rick

What is it with Ricks?

15. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014

:eek: hey!! :p

Unpopular opinion (maybe) TC-14 is a better colour droid than C-3PO'S golden colour.

Sarge, Ezon Pin and TheMoldyCrow like this.
  16. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

There's more to his microseries portrayal than just the microseries. He was a better character before TCW so I don't know why people would prefer TCW's version.

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion but I believe KotOR's twist was better than TESB's (no matter how much I like that movie).

17. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    His Legends appearance, that is. Oops.

18. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015

Certainly one of the best twists ever. Definitely among video games, and arguably better than ESB yeah. And yeah, I never liked Grievous in TCW. Or in general. (heh, general)

TheMoldyCrow, Sarge and Talos156 like this.
  19. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Ugh, that was horrible but I laughed anyway. I'm so corny.

20. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I prefer the Ashoka vs Vader duel in Revels to the Anakin vs Obi-Wan one in ROTS because IMO TCW did a MUCH better job at developing the former two's relationship than the prequels did the latter.

21. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I like Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan more than Alec Guinness.

22. DarthVyos

DarthVyos Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2016
    That the Original Trilogy and even some of the Prequels, maybe even the newer films eventually all get a filmic visual effects/audio/battle sequence remaster somewhere down the road to make all the films visually complimentary and consistent with one another. Lightsaber duels of OT re-choreographed, Space/Ground Battles redone to make them look all fancy and new and just as good as the new filmes like The Force Awakens and Rogue One and the Prequels.... etc....

Highly unpopular opinion as many among the Star Wars cultural fan base uphold the opinion that the original theatrical takes of the first 3 films are some kind of isurmountable paragon films just because they were made in the 70's 80's and have crappy special effects compared to modern film.

I am among the people that want all the films to be equal to another in terms of visual fidelity, so I can watch all the films in order and not be taken out of character in terms of the film tech when I make the jump to Episode IV. I shouldn't have to make the jump at all, it should just flow naturally.

I also am ABSOLUTELY against doing any kind of reboot or total recasting for any of the major films that have already been made. I don't see any point in rebooting as most movie series reboots these days are absolutely terrible and disgrace the original films.

I don't want anyone playing young Han Solo, or Luke Skywalker other than Harrison Ford or Mark Hamill. Incidentally, I also don't want anyone other than Hayden Christensen or Ian Mcdiarmid playing young Anakin Skywalker or the Emperor, or anyone other than Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu. I like the already established characters, I like the people who played the original characters, and I absolutely cannot attach the faces of any newer generations of actors to the original characters. You can reboot a superhero movie as many times as you want and it will be okay since the original versions were comics from the 50's or so. There is no definitive for a specific person in particular to be the face of Peter Parker. But things like Han Solo can't be done again. His personality is a time capsule from that era in film and I cannot see some millenial from my generation replicating it without being completely synthetic and plastic.

One of the big things in Star Wars that separates it from other films is that each film carries with it an emphasis from the year and period in American Culural History in which they were made. The time periods these movies were made in are absolutely a part of the identity of each of the films themselves, not just in terms of lingo and speech but also in terms of the lore and artistic direction of era in the Star Wars story and series, whether it be Clone Wars, Galactic Civil War, Post Episode VI and Pre Episode I and beyond to areas that have yet to be artistically explored.

I absolutely love and adore how Episode III Revenge of the Sith takes the artistic style of Prequel Era Troopers, Vehicles, Weapons, Equipment etc and transitions them into the visual style of the same technological maifestions we see in The Original Trilogy, connecting both series' artistic themes across over a decade of difference in a way that makes both look good. The most important aspect of these films when creating new ones is respecting the the visual themes inherint in the already existing time frames in the Star Wars Universe. Rogue One, if the newest trailers are anything to go by, seems to be doing the job right in terms of creating new content that looks cool now but is still consistent with the Original Trilogy Era.

But there's things from the Original Trilogy like Darth Vader's Armor, or Tie Fighters and Star Destroyers, that have a sort of timelessness and quintessence in the way they already are. Rebooting the Original Trilogy, a ridiculous endeavor, would be really hard to achieve making a new version of Vader's armor that doesn't look like total crap. The First Order Troopers are an example of how that would go. I have no problem with them existing in TFA Era 30 years after RotJ, but I don't want that to officially replace and smear the face of content we already have from the pre-existing movies. Let movies outside of the Original Saga timeframe/era be the space in the future to make room for new designs and aesthetic styles that have yet to be implemented in Star Wars. Don't smear the original movies by redoing them, I'd much rather have other brand-new movies anyway that add more to the Star Wars Universe rather than take away from what we already have and give us something worse.

I believe we do a better job of respecting the source material if we take the original casts, and simply revamp the special effects to bring and render the older films to a modern era. I like the idea of what 80's film, especially Star Wars, would have looked like if we had the technology we have today back then. Sort of a retro-revival alternative reality art style. I am absolutely enthused and happy with what they did in The Force Awakens and what they're doing with Rogue One.

If it's okay to make new movies in the eras and styles of pre-existing movies, I think it's okay if we remaster the originals themselves, as long as that artistic style is respected with integrity to the source material. But for numerous reasons, this is an unpopular opinion in an age with persistent dissatisfaction for anything the industry puts out in the present day.

23. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I don't like the micro series.

24. DarthVyos

DarthVyos Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2016
    I also don't like the Rebels or Clone Wars tv series.

The micro series isn't canon, so why should any star wars kids show that doesn't respect the continuety of the universe be canon? -a green version of Kylo's lightsabder in rebels that doesn't make sense since A) Kylo's saber is based on an ancient Sith design from the Old Republic Era Malachor, and B) the reason it has a crossgaurd is cause the crytal's cracked, causing it to be unstable and created the unstable blade, also making it red. So a green crossguard saber with a stable blade doesn't make any sense. They just put it there cause it's in the movieand kids think it's cool. Total rubbish.

Or how Anakin and Grievous meet before RotS and by Episode III they don'tknoweach other. Again, disrespecting continuety to make a show. I'm sure there's more but I can't stand the shows so I haven't watched them.

I'm alright with them taking characters from the kids shows and putting them in the official movies, but they have to be COMPLETELY different. Like what they did with Saw Guererra in Rogue One.

25. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    DarthVyos

23 years of war turned Saw from nice kid to terrorist.