main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    The Millenium Falcon is ok, but it's totally overrated in the grand scheme of available ships in Star Wars

2. DarthVyos

DarthVyos Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2016
    But the saber in rebels isn't unstable, it's straight if I recall. I only saw a screenshot of it mind you.

My point is, the creators didn't think very much before putting it in the TV series, they just put it there cause oh it's in the movie so it needs to be in the tv show so the show is still "cool".

All arguments into the realm of possibilities why they did it or what they thought aside- it seems pretty obvious this one was the case. Unthoughtfullness on part of the Rebels creators.

If they wanted it to be unstable, they could have made it a green, unstable crystal and blade.

As for use in petty jabbing, that seems an awful trade off from a practical standpoint as the crossguard blades put a huge limit on the mobility, agility, and range for use in combat to make them practical. No Jedi with skill would do it.

The only reason Kylo does it is beacause the whole unstable blade thing makes a stronger, if more dangerous to use, lightsaber blade. He only does it for the boost in power, but requires a great deal of skill to use effectively against a standard single hilt.

All that aside, the show is just silly for me for reasons such as that and I can't take it seriously. Again, an unpopular opinion but one I stick to. If the old clone wars animated series from 2003 or so is no longer canon, there's no reason Rebels or the new Clone Wars shouldn't either when it comes to the canonisity of the major films.

I can accept that the events and characters of the tv shows may exist spiritually in the canon universe in some way or other, but not exactly as portrayed in the tv series.

It's a tv series meant to entertain kids with the sole purpose of entertaining kids. When it starts getting out of theme with the canon it just seems too silly for me to accept. Just a personal opinion.

Valency Jane likes this.
  3. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Unpopular opinion: Legacy did what TFA tried to do, only to an infinitely better extent with a much better setting, plot, characters and writing.

Emperor Ferus and Deliveranze like this.
  4. DarthVyos

DarthVyos Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2016
    I like both.

My personal opinion I like how the movies have more freedom to do what they want in the story. For example, the books and EU weren't as likely to kill off Han Solo because that would inhibit the ability to write more books.

I like how the movies get a chance to do things like that when they contribute to the story and impact of the movies.

Other than that though, I'm a fan of both.

At the very least, characters like Kylo Ren were loosely based off of Jacen Solo so I'm glad they have at least a little respect to fans of the EU when trying to make a movie meant to satisfy all audiences. They really don't need to give a poo what any of us think, but a huge fan of the EU myself, I was pleasantly surprised when the movie came out.

Everything I cared for was there and I was really thankful to Abrams and the crew for that.

You got a lot of guts saying that.... After what you pulled *trying to quote Lando*

Still, ouch man!

Valency Jane likes this.
  5. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    They had plenty of newer characters to choose from so I don't really see this being the case. My thoughts were that they were going to kill him off at some point soon, just not before Legends was cancelled (only for now, hopefully).

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Or just move further in the timeline like with the Legacy comics and leave it to interpretation.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  7. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016

I'm pretty sure George gave them a list of characters the old EU could never under any circumstances kill off (And Chewie just so happened not to be on that list hence his fate) that included the big three so if he ever did decide to go ahead with his sequels he wouldn't have to steamroll the EU.

Now Disney did that anyways, but that was the idea at the time. That's why no member of the Big 3 was visibly killed in any of the old EU, and why they chose to skip over those events in the Legacy comics.

Personally I wouldn't mind any of them dying in either continuity, no person lives forever and these characters ultimate fate's do intrigue me somewhat. But I doubt had they continued they would ever have given even a passing glance at the ultimate fates of Han, Luke, and Leia. And that is something I am very glad the new movie's are not constrained by.

8. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I like Dooku better than Darth Maul. Both are very interesting though.

9. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    I think that among the prequels, the ROTS musical score is the worst (though it's still great), TPM's is the best, and AOTC has the best track (Across the Stars).

Among the OT scores, ANH's is the best, followed closely by TESB's, and then ROTJ's (not in the same tier as the other two).

Overall, I think ANH's score is the best.

Also, I didn't post this in the music forum because I felt that most of these opinions were unpopular & thus better-suited to this thread.

Valency Jane and KaleeshEyes like this.
  10. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Agreed. Honestly, the way they took Maul after his resurrection was extremely boring and obvious. Dooku, on the other hand, was always more interesting.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The characters in TFA feel overly cartoonish to me compared to the TPM characters (aside from Jar Jar :p).

12. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I prefer the Asteroid chase in AOTC to the one in ESB.

13. Darth Maul is awesome

Darth Maul is awesome Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 1, 2014
    the Phantom menace is my favorite prequel

Valency Jane and Sepra like this.
  14. PodracingSkywalker

PodracingSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2014
    *ahem*

1. TFA is nothing but pure, hot garbage. It may have been acted better than the P/OT, but it is easily the worst SW movie. Everything about it is bland. Even the one area I thought I could count on - John's score - was disappointing. I'd barely consider it canon, myself.
    2. ESB is overrated and not as good as TPM/ROTS. I went back and watched the entire saga, and I still feel this way, always have. I like the Yoda/Luke scenes, Hoth, and the finale. That's. About. It.
    3. ROTS/TPM are great movies. Criticize the acting if you must, but the OT has some pretty horrific spots in it too.
    4. If you pay attention, Anakin's fall did not happen in 5 minutes. It was built over the course of 3 movies, starting with TPM.
    5. Finn is a million times more annoying than JJB

Yep.

15. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The middle of ESB is repetitive, and I find it pretty dull. Once you've seen Yoda berate Luke, see Luke fail, and see Yoda dismissively shake his head a few times, it kind of gets old. Not to mention all those times Luke has to lift rocks.

The Space Slug and asteroid belt sequence also feel to me to add little to the film, beyond the one scene with Han and Leia. They're just slow, and don't accomplish anything really.

16. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Michael Giacchino should never score a Star Wars movie.
    I don't care if his music sort of sounds like Williams, it's simplistic, badly orchestrated/recorded and overly plucky crap! (and no, I'm not talking about his more personal sound heard in scores like Lost and Pixar). Plus I'm just tired of seeing him everywhere. He gets all of the interesting assignments while superior composers like James Newton Howard and John Powell are stuck scoring baby movies like Maleficent and Pan (two breathtaking scores at least)

ROTS is definitely the least coherent of the Star Wars scores. Williams approached it on a scene-to-scene basis with little to no overarching narrative. That being said, the individual moments are pretty awesome, adding watchability and even poignancy to underwhelming, hokey, or just plain terrible scenes. While the other scores are technically better, none of them do as much for their respective films as ROTS does.

17. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Jango Fett > Boba Fett

Count Dooku > Darth Maul

Talos of Atmora and Valency Jane like this.
  18. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    To me Palpatine (Darth Sedious persona) is the most cartoonish and annoying character in the series (on par with Jar Jar)

TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  19. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015

Well, if the acting in TFA was better than the other films, than I guess saying it was "nothing but pure, hot garbage" is a bit of an exaggeration. Also,saying a movie is bland is hardly enough to call it garbage.

KaleeshEyes and DarthCricketer like this.
  20. PodracingSkywalker

Apr 1, 2014
    Okay, gonna be a long post here. The whole movie feels like a sequel to something i've never seen. All this backstory, all these huge events...and we'll never see a prequel to them. Yes, I know that ANH does that, but there's enough to gather in that film that - as much as I absolutely love them - you really don't need to watch the PT to see the story. This has...Han and Leia breaking up, Kylo turning evil because....plot convenience? I guess??? Rey's parentage, is she a Jedi? A descendent of Luke?, Finn being kidnapped, the fall of the republic(again), the rise of the empire (again), a new death star (again). Onto the story. So, the "plot" of the movie is essentially 4, some of 5, and a little bit of Episode III. Rey is one of the worst characters in any SW movie, for many reasons stated that I won't get into. Finn does absolutely nothing to the plot. Seriously. Edit him out, and what changes? Literally nothing. I don't care for the intention, Kylo was nothing but a Darth Vader wannabe. On one hand, I somewhat like that. On the other, the execution sucks. He comes across as a petulant, whiny child. I know that runs strongly in the Skywalker family, but the thing is, Anakin was a teenager. Teens are whiny as hell. Luke as well. Kylo's supposed to be in his 30's (or late 20's? I believe.) A compelling villain, it did not make. Don't even get me started on Phasma. All those toys, the posters, TV / trailer spots, the marketing, giving her her own "chips" bag, and she ends up in the film for....approximately 3 minutes. And does nothing. And gets taken out (or more appropriately, captured) like a complete wuss. Didn't they constantly say about how much of a Badass she was? I guess what they should've said was "well, she's Boba Fett in a Stormtrooper costume." Luke better having a absolutely mind-blowing reason for running away into exile. Can you imagine the ending of ROTJ, Luke confronts Vader and the Emperor, and is like...hmm, know what?? I'll cya later guys. Or after he gets defeated in ESB, he just runs off to Dantooine, not telling anyone about his whereabouts except on a map that R2 needs to wake up from. Yoda went into exile to learn new ways of the force after Order 66, to realize all the Jedi had lost during the PT era, in both life as well as knowledge. Ben went to Tattooine to watch over Luke. Luke ran away cause...he failed, I guess. I absolutely detested TFA, and while I do find joy in others liking it, and revitalizing the franchise for them, for me it did nothing. I hope R1 pulls me in more, because as it stands, Disney Wars are at 0-2 with me (don't enjoy Rebels.)

21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Finn was the only new character introduced in TFA that I found interesting, and even then I thought it troubling that so much of his characterization was driven by bumbling comedy.

22. PodracingSkywalker

Apr 1, 2014
    Yeah, if he was just supposed to be there for comedy, and to waste Boyega's skills as an actor, they could've at least made him funny.

Darth Raiden and Cryogenic like this.
  23. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Finn was the third most annoying character to me, after Miss Mary Sue Skywalker and cartoon football R2-D2. The only character I found interesting and remotely real or compelling was the random old guy who was kind of like a Qui-Gon sort of character, played by Max von Sydow. I may have liked the character just because he was playing him, but it's still a shame he was killed after just a couple of lines. What a terrible waste of a great veteran actor.

Cryogenic likes this.
  24. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Are you sure about that? Cause I'm pretty sure he helped free Poe from the Star Destroyer, gave the Resistance info regarding the Starkiller base, and forced Phasma to lower the shields.

Sounds a lot like Darth Maul to me.

Because Star Wars has never wasted veteran actors before!

25. PodracingSkywalker

Apr 1, 2014
    Ah, it's been a while but I didn't remember that. Fair play.

Huh? Maul was in it about 500 times the length of her, and did way more than she did. Tracked down Qui-Gon, gathered intel, stopped the Jedi from advancing & killed Qui-Gon, paving the way for Anakin to be trained by Obi-Wan. Along with showing the Jedi that sith were not extinct, and showing the seeds of doubt that the Jedi were all perfect. Yeah, he wasn't in it much...but he was still more integral to the plot than Phasma was. Maybe you should watch TPM again. :p

lol that dude is not a veteran actor, but he was a complete waste.

Valency Jane likes this.