main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    More of my unpopular opinions:

Return of the Jedi is my favorite Star Wars film

Kiera Knightly would have been a better Padme

Do or do not, there is no try doesn't make sense

I like the Sebastian Shaw and Hayden Christensen endings equally

"You can't stop change, any more than you can stop the sun from setting is my favorite quote

The Force Awakens has too few prequel references

I prefer the EU to The Force Awakens

Han Solo is an example of rape culture (sorry)

I don't care about Jar Jar

Vader didn't deserve to be a force ghost

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. PodracingSkywalker

PodracingSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2014
    Can you please explain the Solo one to me please?

3. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    "I know you want me." "I'm allowed to grab you and kiss you because you're into me."

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Valency Jane

Valency Jane Force Ghost star 6

Jan 17, 2016
    Emperor Ferus I can see where you are coming from on your points, & pretty much agree w/#6 about too few PT references in TFA (& sadly a huge lack of PT merchandise from Disney too), however I don't understand/agree your point about Han. Han's just as much into Leia as Leia is into Han, though it comes across as arguing since they both have strong personalities. (Leia's so focused on the rebellion, it's basically her life, that for a while she doesn't want to admit her feelings to herself or Han; or at least that's how I've read it).

Leia's her own person, first & foremost, & from the get go is more capable and stronger, quite arguably, than either Han or Luke. Not many people could find a way to cope w/seeing their home planet destroyed before their eyes, & still carry on & be ready to blast her way out when they come to rescue her. And have the smarts to stick the DS info in Artoo in the first place, & send him to Obi Wan.

ANH: Leia & Han meet, and instantly dislike one another & bicker.
    [​IMG]
    .....but there are also the seeds of what is to come - Leia, to Han: You came here in that thing (MF)? You're braver than I thought!
    [​IMG]
    ESB: 3 years later, still bickering, but the tension, name calling has ramped up ten fold. Leia kisses Luke basically to spite Han, after Han hits a nerve w/Leia about her feelings, based on the script:
    HAN: Laugh it up, fuzzball. But you didn't see us alone in the south passage. Luke sparks to this; he looks at Leia. HAN: She expressed her true feelings for me. Leia is flushed, eyes darting between Luke and Han. LEIA: My...! Why, you stuck up,... half-witted... scruffy-looking ...nerf-herder! HAN: Who's scruffy-looking? (to Luke) I must have hit pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that, huh, kid? Leia looks vulnerable for a moment, then the mask falls again, and she focuses on Luke. LEIA: Why, I guess you don't know everything about women yet? With that she leans over and kisses Luke on the lips. Then she turns on her heel and walks out, leaving everyone in the room slightly dumbstruck.

Being together on the MF only brings the romantic tension that has been steadily building up to this point to a crescendo when they kiss, and when Han's frozen in Carbonite. I'd always taken it as Leia can't/doesn't want to fight her feelings for Han anymore, & I've always loved Fisher's (and Ford's) performance in ESB. Not to mention how close & lovey-dovey they are when visiting Lando, & how Han makes sure he tells Chewie to take care of the princess for him, & of course the I love you/I know exchange.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Ok, I understand what you're saying, but even with everything on Hoth, Han had no right to try to grab and kiss Leia without her consent. He talks pretty chauvinistically too. Even if Leia seemed in love with han, that didn't give him the right to act on anything without her agreeing to it. I call this the Ross Geller syndrome.

Iron_lord and Valency Jane like this.
  6. Valency Jane

Valency Jane Force Ghost star 6

Jan 17, 2016
    Idk, to me Leia seems to be stifling laughter in that scene though, like when she says, "I'm not trembling," & smirking when saying, "I like nice men." [face_dunno] Sure, Han talks chauvinistically, but he's been doing that the whole time we've know him; he's always been a stubborn, cocky (nerf-herder, if you will) kind of guy. And Leia doesn't take it; she fires shots right back at him every time. I think that's why they're great together; they meet their match in each other.

In that scene, they're having a conversation through it; its not like Han just came in, grabbed Leia, spun her around & kissed her. Then I'd be in agreement with you. But that's not what happens. I do agree that Han has no right to grab Leia & kiss her w/out her consent, but IMO that's just not what happens. Leia's taken off guard, I'll give you (I mean she's been working on fixing the MF, frustrated by the situation they're in, & here comes Han), & still a tad unsure about giving in to her own feelings that, IMO the films show that she's got for Han, but kissing him back anyway, not pushing him away (which she actually does do when Han tries to help her move the knob thing (she can handle it herself), shoving him away, & Han backs off of her, which tells me that if she'd have pushed him away again as he leaned in to kiss her Han would've stopped). Han's clearly the one to set things in motion (I mean one of them had to :p), & sure, he may have the goal in mind of kissing her, but he never, imo, takes advantage of her.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think Han's behavior is appropriate by today's standards, and if we're looking for a character who is a poster child for how potential dates should treat each other, I would not look to Han as an example.

I'm able to overlook it for the overall movie and the evolution of his character over the trilogy though.

And I'm not sure either the "Han is a chauvinist" or the "Han is not a chauvinist" opinion is particularly unpopular.

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I find TFA enjoyable if I pretend it's Space Balls 2.

9. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

"Space Cooties" is perhaps a little more like it.

Not that that is quite so enjoyable.

10. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I think the term rape culture is overused and some of it is bs. While I think Han has issues, I don't believe he is an example of rape culture. Jabba would be a better example who is defeated anyway by the victim.

11. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    The action sequences in Temple of Doom are the best in any film.

Seagoat likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Snoke is a stupid *** name.

wobbits, Evening Star, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  13. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    That's unpopular? Blimey. Then again, silly names are a bit of an SW tradition - Poggle, Dooku, Sheev, this macho alpha male everyone calls ''Annie'', a fat man who happens to be named Porkins... there's probably more examples out there as well.

14. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
  15. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    Padme Amidala was a naive Queen that was short sighted and of average intelligence, but beautiful with a warm and very friendly personality

16. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    UNPOPULAR OPINION LIGHTNING ROUND!!!!!!

1. Pre suit Vader (Episode III) is more menacing and intriguing then Vader in the suit
    2. Star Wars Battlefront 2015 is actually fun since the July update for single player.
    3. A Boba Fett solo film can be decent.
    4. A solo Han Solo (redundant :p) is gonna be terrible.
    5. ROTS is a masterpiece.
    6. TPM is the best opening out of all 3 trilogies.
    7. Finn is a more intriguing character then Rey.
    8. Zam Wessell is underrated.
    9. George Lucas's version of the Clone Wars is far more intriguing then the terrible old EU ideas.
    10. The TFA war between resistance and First Order is the most boring conflict in all of SW lore
    11. Princess Leia is a boring.
    12. Cloud City is the greatest planet in the OT
    13. The Hoth Battle is overrated.
    14. The Kylo vs Finn and Rey duel is decent and overhated.

Valency Jane likes this.
  17. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    Boba Fett (as depicted in the films only) is lame.
    Mace Windu (as depicted in the films only) is even lamer.
    Watto is the best new character from the prequels.
    Palpatine sounds way more impressive and sinister than "Sidious."
    Darth Maul doesn't get interesting until TCW.
    The comics (as a whole) are better than the films (as a whole).

Valency Jane likes this.
  18. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Updated list.
    - I have no problem with Hayden Christensen's Force Ghost in RotJ
    - Out of all the new characters, Finn is the one who has the most potential
    - Kylo Ren's story is uninteresting
    - Resistance vs FO in TFA is boring
    - Star Wars Rebels feels more like a real continuation of Lucas ideas in TCW than TFA does for the saga
    - I love TCW and Rebels equally
    - Boba Fett is still useless
    - I don't care for Mandalorians
    - Dooku is a good antagonist and better than Maul
    - If I have to choose between them, I slightly prefer the PT to the OT
    - Luke is a better character than Han Solo
    - Han Solo's death in TFA was meh and predictable from miles away
    - I thought the Special Editions were great additions
    - TFA and ANH are my two least favorite SW movies

19. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    OT fans don't 'get' the prequels. Not my opinion but one seemingly propagated throughout the forum.

Oh, and Star Wars isn't a master work on a par with Shakespeare. That is my opinion. Feel free to 'come at me'. ;) ;) ;)

Valency Jane likes this.
  20. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Rape Culture is a Militant Feminist turm for sexist macho males.

Edit: The following statement is balanced because I called males sexist. (A negative) & Feminists Militant (also a negative).

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And you will not stereotype either men or feminists again. Trying to justify stereotyping that is sexist (against men or women) as "balanced" does not make it OK.

You want to have a discussion about rape culture, take it to the Senate Floor.

This thread is for TOS-friendly unpopular opinions about Star Wars.

Seagoat, Sepra and CT-867-5309 like this.
  22. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Sorry. Sorry. My apologies.

23. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

Edit: I was not trying to start an argument. I was answering a "?". My answer was in the form of inappropriate example. I am very sorry.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No problem. Carry on. [face_peace]

Deliveranze likes this.
  25. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    The whole OT bit is WAY overdone- everything that Disney has done is a half-inch from the OT.

Time to come up with a new SW story, be it a spinoff movie, TV series, NEW saga, or whatever. NO MORE Obi-Wan, Boba Fett, Han Solo, Darth Vader, Clone Wars, Empire vs Rebellion, etc.

Whatever it is, make it set in the (very vast) GFAA, and make it have nothing to do with the above. With all of the new SW material, and potential for new platforms (LIVE ACTION TV especially), bring us something totally new. It could be TOR, it could be anything, just stop the repetition of old stories and characters.

Disclaimer: I greatly appreciate that we have new SW; don't get me wrong, I love TFA, am really excited about R1 and part 8; but this is my disappointment since Disney took over. And at least among most SW fans, this is my unpopular opinion. Everyone debates whether they should make a Boba Fett vs Obi Wan movie, or something similar; I say none of the above.

This is so awesome. Why can't they do something like this for a live action movie? :

Evening Star and Valency Jane like this.