main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Lee_ The new Propaganda book that just came out gives a juicy detail about the Old Republic era that, I think, offers a lot of potential for future stories in that era. I highly recommend to check it out.

Lee_ likes this.
  2. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    @Lee_ I too have criticisms of Star Wars. Criticisms, critical thinking, are what drive progress.... and we can have criticisms and still love the film we are talking about, which is usually the case with Star Wars fans...

anyway onto unpopular opinions....

Darth Vader was a slave his entire life, and his entire life was spent in servitude to someone else. He never lived a single day of freedom.

He went from being a slave on Tatooine, serving out the wishes of others, to being a slave of the Jedi, serving out their wishes, to being Palpatine's slave.

In the end, he even served the wishes of his son by killing Palpatine. His Son, Luke, allowed himself to fall prone to the Empireror, and be electrocuted, in order to spur Vader into action against the Emperor and bring him back into the light. So even with his last action, Vader was manipulated by Luke, and served another's wishes.

wobbits and oncafar like this.
  3. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Lee_ Because that would be cool and we simply can't have that, now can we?

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Holy ****! :eek:

5. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    That was pretty cool.

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, I've always thought that- the GFFA is just really an amazing creation aside from the characters and particular stories in the saga (and Anthology) films; there is so many tremendous things they could do with it, and these TOR videos are the perfect example. That was my wish when Disney took over and the GFFA continued in movies (and hopefully live action TV); but there is no sign as of yet that it will be realized, but one can only hope. That short video is epic.

7. cbwhu

cbwhu Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 10, 2016
    Annakin/Vader succeeding in bringing balance to the force

Before him - many Jedi vs at most 2 sith - not a balance
    After he killed Obi-Wan - 2 light side (Luke and Yoda) - 2 Dark Side (Vader and Palps) - balanced

8. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Balance of the Force, not balance of the Force-users.

9. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    The Jedi do not cause imbalance, only darksiders like the Sith cause imbalance. You can't use the darkside without abusing the force and causing imbalance.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    In the old EU, there were darksiders around before the Force went out of balance.

11. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    There were also multiple Sith during the days of the Old Republic who didn't cause imbalance so what did Palpatine do to cause an imbalance?

Darth Dnej likes this.
  12. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    There's Luceno's version, though it's no longer canon.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  13. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    The old EU did not always follow the films, Lucas did not even consider the old EU as part of his SW universe. He thought and treated it as a duality of two universes. Hence his 1980 statement in my signature.

There was one interview which I cannot find again, where he stated the darkside is addictive, and darkside users end up abusing it like addicts which creates imbalance. Using the darkside makes it grow and overwhelm the light side. The thing with balance is, it does not take much to throw it off, even just a microgram can do it. The lightside is balance, it cannot cause imbalance, only the darkside can cause imbalance. Lucas explained this is why just two Sith can disrupt the force so much against so many Jedi.

Ord Sorrell likes this.
  14. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Lucas involved himself in certain EU projects from time to time, and sometimes incorporated EU elements into his films, such as the otherwise unexplained Anakin scar. When it comes to Darth Plagueis, I believe it was said that Lucasfilm higher-ups had some amount of involvement in the book, and IIRC one or two specific plot points were said to have come from Lucas himself. Of course, that doesn't mean that he gave his personal approval to everything in the book. Ultimately, I only cite the book's interpretation as a valid possibility that would still be consistent with canon. On the issue of how the Force goes out of balance, Lucas has said this: "As evil begins to take over, it pushes the Force out of balance." ( LA Times, 1/20/02 ) So that sounds like a bit more than just using the dark side.

It makes no sense, in this context, to say that the light side "is" balance. The light side is a part of the Force, while balance is a condition which the Force may or may not be in at a given point in time. It is a balance between the light and dark sides, according to Maz Kanata's databank entry ( in addition to various books from the old EU which have since been decanonized ).

As it typically goes the other way, we may be unlikely to see the Force become unbalanced toward the light in a SW product, but it is theoretically possible: "Too much light or dark would be the undoing of life as you understand it." - Father, TCW "Overlords"

Valency Jane likes this.
  15. Mizore

Mizore Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 5, 2013
    I think that the balance of the Force is dominance of the light side, while the imbalance of force is dominance of the dark side, it has not to do with the number of Force users or balance of light / dark. Too light is nonsense, it's like saying too good is bad.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    I'd say balance of the force...is not having any force wielding militaristic orders...

No Jedi, No Sith...

Let force users naturally gravitate toward their preferred paths or destined paths...

Humans always seem to suffer the more they try to control and reconfigure their natural surroundings... I never subscribed to the theory that civilization mitigates suffering.. It may increase life-spans, but then, all we're really doing is living more years as incontinent, arthritic, bangs of bones unable to feel real pleasure

Same goes for force religions.. they just cause more turmoil, conflict, strife, suffering, wars, etc...

They should loosely organize the jedi... decentralize... adopt a more nomadic/spiritual way...warriors who traverse alone or with their students, picking their own fights to uphold justice or to protect the good/weak

17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    "Bendu really isn't evil or good. He's kind of the balance to the duality of the Force. When the Jedi talk about prophecies and what not, everybody talks in terms of balance of the Force. So it's a mistake to sit there and think that what you're ultimately trying to do is upend the light or the dark." - Dave Filoni

Valency Jane likes this.
  18. Mizore

Feb 5, 2013
  19. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Except that's full of the usual false information from random people. The natural state of the Force is not the light side alone. The Force in its natural state has both light and dark sides.

"The overriding philosophy in Episode I - and in all the Star Wars movies, for that matter - is the balance between good and evil." - George Lucas

"I wanted to have this mythological footing because I was basing the films on the idea that the Force has two sides, the good side, the evil side, and they both need to be there. Most religions are built on that, whether it's called yin and yang, God and the devil — everything is built on the push-pull tension created by two sides of the equation. Right from the very beginning, that was the key issue in 'Star Wars.'" - George Lucas

20. Mizore

Feb 5, 2013

But do not you understand that that is contradictory? There is symmetry between yin and yang, but not between God and devil. You can not have Eastern and Western philosophies and not be contradictory.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    "The idea of positive and negative, that there are two sides to an entity, a push and a pull, a yin and a yang, and the struggle between the two sides are issues of nature that I wanted to include in the film." - Lucas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this context it is important to consider the nature or definition of the Force itself. It is supposed to be an energy field generated by living things - by, if you will, the act of living. Kasdan called it the combined vibrations of all living things.

In what universe would these energies ever be uniformly positive in nature? How could such an unlikely scenario be construed as the natural state of things?

22. Mizore

Feb 5, 2013
    That is the hope of the Jedi. In deep down reality is good. And the films give them the reason.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    When finished Star Wars Rebels is likely to be just as good if not better than Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

24. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I don't know how unpopular it is but since it's generally considered for kids I'll say it
    I have a preference for animated Star Wars over live action movies.

Valency Jane likes this.
  25. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Here's a unpopular one in some circles. Even though I like the PT I could truly care less about stuff like the Ring Theory.