main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    His chances at getting content in the nucanon are even lower, with the PT moving out of focus for now. A solo Dooku book would make me one happy Star Wars fan.

2. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    It shouldn't be ambiguous to whether Rey is a Skywalker. Before I go on, I should explain that I'm not one of the "Mary Sue complaints" crowd, Rey's development is as believable as Luke and Anakin. I just think that she should have had a similar role that Ben Skywalker/Jaina Solo had in Legacy of the Force, with her being either Leia or Luke's daughter. The episodes belong to the Skywalkers!

Iron_lord and wobbits like this.
  3. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Rogue One was not that exciting

Howard Hand and Emperor Ferus like this.
  4. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    But why do you think it should not be ambiguous? Why must her heritage unfold in the order that you've seen it before?

5. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Because Star Wars is about the skywalkers, at least the episodes. As for why in that order, purely because of EU nostalgia.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The ambiguity is kind of irritating to me too, although I'll forgive it if she is revealed to be a Skywalker or we get a similarly satisfying answer in TLJ.

wobbits and Emperor Ferus like this.
  7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

I actually like the "doubt" that currently exists as to Rey's lineage. It helps to build up suspense and allows us fans to spend an inordinate amount of time speculating as to who her parents are.

8. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Most people like it. Hence the title of this thread.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  9. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Vader's true identity wasn't revealed right away or even confirmed until another movie after that. It was only then that being a Skywalker, and the force running strong in that family, truly became a thing. Prior to this it was just because Luke's dad never got a chance to raise his son in the ways of a Jedi that made the Skywalker thing significant.

Deferred lineage exposition is perfectly valid and familiar to the whole saga. In fact the first trilogy was somewhat characterised by it.

10. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    Here goes.

On the whole, I'm fine with the old EU being gone.

While there were some stories and characters that I loved, generally it was a huge mess and some of it, frankly, was absolute drivel.

I have found that I can happily still enjoy my favourite EU stories even though I have accepted that they aren't canon anymore.

11. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I wish Star Wars video games would stop using musical tracks from the movies. I understand that there's a wealth of quality music within their copyright but it cheapens the music and robs the games themselves of freshness.
    The 2 KOTOR games are the most prominent exception to this rule (particularly the first). They are both able to feel sufficiently Star Warsy without needle-dropping.

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I liked R1, but I don't think it really works as a direct lead in to ANH. I just think of it as an old EU novel adapted into a modern blockbuster.

13. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I also liked R1. Does it change my perception of ANH or the OT in general? Not really.

14. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    I wish Cassian Andor could have been Biggs Darklighter like the early rumors suggested.
    They literally packed RO full of every other element of ANH fanservice imaginable, so like... why didn't Biggs get any love?

The "Biggs talks to Luke on Tatooine" scene was deleted and not canon (unless it's in the novelization), so they could have changed his backstory any way they wanted to.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It got recanonized by the databank, some time before RO came out, which made heavy use of it for Biggs's biography.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  16. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    100% agree with you.

17. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    The music in the KotOR games was great and suitable considering the setting was so far removed from the films, but I think in games like Battlefront, which are specifically trying to recreate the feel of the movies, John Williams's score is essential. I find the original score in the new Battlefront, which imitates John Williams with limited success, to be extremely jarring.

For more story-oriented games I agree that a well-executed original score is generally superior as it can be tailored to the context more appropriately.

18. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I don't like how self contained Rogue One is. It has a lot of potential for either prequels or sequels that obviously would take place after A New Hope.
    Also, I saw some of the animated Ewoks series when I was younger and it was decent for a kid's show (nothing like The Clone Wars).

Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman each have some pretty good scenes in the prequel trilogy, and now that I've re-evaluated each of the films, The Phantom Menace has a very sweet charm that for me, puts it only under A New Hope.

I hated the droid from Rogue One.

Iron_lord and Anakin.Skywalker like this.
  19. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter is the best EU novel, and would make a fantastic anthology film.

20. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    May I ask why you hated K2SO?

21. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I prefer the SE Jedi Rocks sequence to the original Lapti Nek scene.

22. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    TFA is a better made film than R1 but R1 is a far better piece of SW entertainment by miles.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  23. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    You phrased that so concisely and I completely agree!

Deliveranze likes this.
  24. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Agreed. Lapti Nek sounds too much like the 70/s and 80's electric disco garbage that Lucas specifically wanted to avoid. It's way too earth sounding, like somebody transcribed some random disco song into Huttese. The made up Huttese words in this don't sound like an alien language at all. The only shot in Jedi Rocks I could do without is the shot down the hairy dude's mouth.

25. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I just think his humor was forced, more so than Jar Jar. His jokes didn't seem to fit and he seemed to be there just as the obligatory goofy sidekick. Rogue one itself is awesome though.

Iron_lord and Anakin.Skywalker like this.