main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have no idea if this is an unpopular opinion or not:

I don't want to "dig into meat and potatoes," I just want to watch a damn movie, eat my popcorn, be excited at the suspense of the starship and lightsaber battles, laugh at snarky lines that I can quote later, leave with a smile on my face when the heroes win.

I did not find TFA a "rehash" beyond Starkiller Base and Jakku, and I don't care about those being "rehashes," just do not ask me to "look deeper" if I don't like a characterization or a plot point.

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017

You really need to look deeper. I kid. The great thing about SW is you can look deep or not look deep. There is no right or wrong opinion or interpretation or viewing experience. I don't understand how people lose their minds when someone disagrees with them. So my unpopular opinion is....I've grown to really like Jar Jar. And I'm in my 40's. :)

3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So am I, and I don't have a problem with him.

4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    IMHO, Mr. Binks has just been the focal point for certain people's dislike of the (1) the PT, and (2) more generally the large amount of CGI in TPM.

Lt. Hija and christophero30 like this.
  5. OCD_Chad

OCD_Chad Jedi Knight

May 12, 2017
    Even if Anakin never leaves Tatooine, Sidious still has control over both the clone army and the droid army. His takeover still happens.

christophero30 likes this.
  6. I hate Dave Filoni (I had to say it)

7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I agree with most of your points, especially 1, 4, and 8. Just out of curiosity why do you think the prequels needed to be 4 films? Do you think the last film should have been split in two like Harry Potter? I remember being disappointed at the end of Clones (by far my least favorite and the only one I don't watch on a regular basis) that Anakin was not "bad" enough. It made his turn in ROTS seem too sudden. But I loved ROTS. :)

8. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Aside from the PT films themselves, of course, I agree.

Jolee Bindo and TheMoldyCrow like this.
  9. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017

I have been a fan of Tomb Raider ever since the 90's and got back into it after they rebooted the franchise and Lara Croft's character in 2013. Vikander is playing Lara (my avatar) in a new movie next year, which has me pumped. I don't know, Vikander can play basically anything, her skills at acting are top-of-the-line. Her career is just starting and she already has an Oscar. I've seen her play an Artificial Intelligence with Oscar Isaac and Domhnall Gleeson in Ex Machina where she acted her character, AVA, by acting like she was naive when she wasn't. As an AI. Convincingly and innocently. I think she would have added much more depth to Rey than Daisy Ridley.

I agree 100% about another role in the future, maybe an anthology movie!

10. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I wouldn't go as far as to say that I hate him as a person (after all, I don't know him) but his work on Star Wars is really unsatisfactory for me.

11. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Agree 100%.

And it's a shame that this has become such a controversial thing.

Here's my unpopular opinion. I don't like every Star Wars thing to be explained or over analyzed. I like that sometimes you have to use your imagination. An example is with Maz Kanata and Luke's lightsaber. I don't care how she found it. I don't need an elaborate backstory. Imagine it. It's fun.

When 'Star Wars' is over explained it loses it's mystery. (I.e. Midichlorians.)

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't think the Force was very "mysterious" just based on the OT. It's an energy field that you can tap into given the right genetic disposition. Always seemed pretty cut and dry within the context of the fantasy universe on display.

13. That's what I meant

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  14. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    Revenge of the Sith (the novel) is the best Star Wars movie.

Hypatia and smoothkaz like this.
  15. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    The midi-chlorians contradicted and interfered with the fan fictions some fans had cooked up about the Force in their heads. It's like George said. They wanna tell him how to make his movies before he even makes them. Then they cry because they didn't get it their way.

16. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    The simplicity of story telling and the showcasing of fun, pulpy and adventure-istic tonal themes, is not an unpopular opinion so to speak. It's actually common for the audience wanting something straight-foward and non "analytical"(not everyone wants everything to be complex) Which can be related to.

I don't think you can disprove it when others ask to "look deeper" though because that is another form of expressing imagination, which to them brings excitement. "Mystery" is keeping the perspetctive of using your own imagination to fill in the "ambiguously odd" blanks in the narrative, and having to have an in-depth look gives the person(s) their own use of imagination to find the truth and meaning to all of it. Both are valuable really..

But I must say, and not to sound like I'm criticizing;

I think it's beneficial to look deeper no matter what. I say it's how deep you further fall into the rabbit hole is what really defines it. And I guess you *could* say that using your imagination is going deeper also to an extent. Further and further expanding your mind on what can be there..

"Just a thought..But a welcome one I hope"-OBI 1

darkspine10 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's not about disproving anything, it's about how people choose to watch movies--as a form of entertainment, or as a film analysis course.

And we all draw meaning where we choose.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  18. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Kind of a weird thing to say considering that the midichlorians donĀ“t "over explain" anything.

Talos of Atmora and YeahOkayCool like this.
  19. OCD_Chad

OCD_Chad Jedi Knight

May 12, 2017
    The Clone Wars is best Star Wars material out there.

20. YeahOkayCool

YeahOkayCool Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2017
    The Phantom Menace got an unfair reputation as "the worst movie" when it came out, largely I think because it was so different from what the audience expected. I definitely don't think it's the best movie, but I think the plot makes a lot more sense than, for example, the "secret clone army" story arc in AOTC. Jar-Jar's annoying, but he's just a dumb animated thing for kids. Most of the rest of the film is, IMO, pretty solid if you look at it with clear eyes.

Oh, and Maul should never have survived Naboo.

21. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    I used to say that any order is good, but after an excessive amount of time thinking about it..

Chronological Order is logically the best way to experience the Star Wars saga, and I say that it makes perfect sense. Anyone who decides to be introduced to the former is doing it incorrectly. I understand that this isn't "objective" but if we are talking about emotional and world building, I do not see why go release other than to have everything diminished. The great thing about the Prequels being viewed first, is that it doesn't spoil much of in the OT. Yes the "father" twist will be revealed, but this is taking into the account that the previous episodes exist now. So it is no longer "spoiled" but creates far more investment to what transpires within the scene. The "real" twist here is when you see a character who is nominated as a hero, turn into a villainous icon. The bad guys? They won. Far more effective than some soap-operatic reveal...

22. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    Unpopular opinion: the "father twist" isn't the only thing you lose from the OT by watching the PT first, not even close. What you really lose is the sense that you are going on a journey with Luke, seeing things that he sees, discovering things that he discovers, and learning things that he learns. It's not just about "spoiling" "the reveal"; it's about an entire story structure going out the window.

Darth_Pevra, wobbits, Hypatia and 8 others like this.
  23. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    ^ These were obviously the reasons why the official and original subtitle for the OT used to be "from the adventures of Luke Skywalker"...

Which reminds me, I have another unpopular opinion to offer:

No other filmmaker before or after George Lucas has unintentionally created works which divide the fanbase rather than to unite it:

• original, theatrical OT edition versus special edition
    • prequel trilogy versus original trilogy
    • Vader story arc versus Luke story arc

Bazinga'd likes this.
  24. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    The Phantom Menace is among the best of the SW films.

B3 and darkspine10 like this.
  25. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Well, there is Peter Jackson and his Hobbit vs. LOTR, that's been a pretty divisive split (like the PT and OT, I like both ;)). But yeah, he hasn't been altering the original versions and not releasing them unaltered I suppose. And nothing in the Hobbit substantially turns LOTR on it's head as the PT tries to.