main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I found Anakin to have plenty of fun through most of the PT. Podracing, the Naboo battle, chasing Zam, with Padme on the fields, unintentionally during the Droid Factory and even Obi-Wan complimenting him during the Geonosis battle, and the aggressive negotiations line and the wonderful 20 minutes of Revenge of the Sith. Hell, he seems to be having a good time talking back to Sebulba in TPM too. It's there at the very least. Not in huge stride, but I don't need Luke 2.0 with Anakin so mileage varies in enjoyment.

Hell, I cheer for him now when he turns good in ROTJ because I know the entire life story. Before, I couldn't feel much for a bad guy through 2.5 movies.

Of course like MIDI said, it's all opinion.

2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    It is not arrogant to hold an opinion that your idea is better than what we wound up with.

It is arrogant to impose those opinions with the pretense of propriety.

3. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

I think that's a valid POV, but IMO, the Anakin of the films is a cardboard cutout. I never felt any sympathy for him. His anguish in ROTS never touched me, because I never felt a connection with him. He reminded me of a guy I knew in college that moped for days because his Dad bought him a yellow Ferrari instead of a red one (I **** you not!). Now I know some folks felt that connection. I never did. I could never connect the Jake Lloyd Anakin to the HC Anakin of AOTC. And the AOTC Anakin comes out of the blocks as an arrogant douche, so I pretty much dislike him from the beginning. I would have found it easier to identify with him and feel his anguish later if I hadn't thought, "What an a-hole" from nearly the beginning. Playing up more of his friendship to Obi-Wan would have helped. It's one reason I prefer the TCW depiction.

4. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Cardboard cutout? That doesn't seem to correlate with the other expressions. You mean he came off as faulty? I wouldn't call a "vunerable and mentally disturbed" a cutout, mostly because he is pretty unique to the SW saga and children's films as a whole.

Martoto77 and Mostly Handless like this.
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I would define "cardboard cutout" as bland or routine, and in those terms both Luke and Rey fit that description for me more than Anakin.

6. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Finally got the chance to watch Rebels Season Three "Double Agent Droid" (# 18)

Why I liked the story premise the (totally pointless, IMHO) conclusion of the episode made me go "WTF?" because it introduced a new "superweapon". Now, just find the recipient's frequency and you can destroy any remote enemy vessel because its operators will be stupid enough not to cut their transmission link at the first sign of trouble. 8-}

What's next? Do they introduce widespread "beaming" a la Star Trek into Rebels?

7. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    A Han Solo movie is a much better idea than an Obi-wan Kenobi movie. There, I said it!:D

Sarge likes this.
  8. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    It honestly should have ended at ANH.

Sorry, people. lol

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm not very keen on an Obi-Wan movie unless they go the recast route with a younger, pre-TPM Obi-Wan. Seeing McGregor again would be kind of cool, but the more I think about it the more I realize I have pretty much no interest in a Tatooine bridge film.

10. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    Yeah, I could get behind a pre-TPM film, about a young Obi-wan's coming-of-age. Nevertheless, as much as I like McGregor's Kenobi, the prospect of watching a depressed middle-aged dude loaf about a desert for two hours doesn't really excite me.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  11. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    ^ There are actually people questioning whether or not we really need a Han Solo stand alone movie. Youre talking about the most popular character in the series and people are asking if we actually need a standalone movie. The fact that the question is even being asked doesn't bode well for a spinoff Obi wan film, whether you are talking about pre TPM or in between the two trilogies.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  12. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    At least 80% of such suggestions have come from people who prefer the OT and the ST which is completely unsurprising to me.

I think the word "arrogance" is being used in this context to describe the people who make alternatives to Anakin's arc like the ones Deliveranze mentioned and think that it's somehow more compelling than what we got in the PT.

13. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    It's hard to predict how people will react to any new movie. However I'm holding out hope that once the Han Solo flick arrives, it will become the Star Wars movie fandom never knew it wanted, similar to the way Rogue One has. Before that came out, I remember seeing detractors asking if we 'really needed to see the Death Star plans get stolen', but once it arrived the majority of fans appeared to embrace it the movie.
    I'm only sceptical of an Obi-wan movie set between ROTS and ANH, because I'm not sure that there is really an interesting story to be told about the character at that time in his life. IMO his angst and/or guilt over Anakin's fall to the dark side, and settling into life on Tatooine work better in a novel or comic format.
    Obviously that's just my (unpopular:p) opinion though.

Sarge likes this.
  14. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014

neither sound like riveting pieces of cinema if you ask me.

15. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think all 8 films are amazing.

I don't like Darth Sidious.

I think Grievous, Maul and Kylo Ren are better villains than Vader.

Frank T. likes this.
  16. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2017

Shouldn't have even made it as far as the name change. Star Wars forever! :p

ObiWanKnowsMe, Sarge and Nibelung like this.
  17. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    Darth Maul is kind of an underwhelming name.

DurararaFTW, ObiWanKnowsMe and Sarge like this.
  18. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    Darth Maul is kind of an underwhelming presence. At least in live action.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  19. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Ron Howard should direct Star Wars IX.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I should be in charge of Star Wars.

Seagoat, Dandelo and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  21. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017

I believe Vader mind tricked the Emperor ( The original 1989 imagine of the Emperor) into not killing his son and turning him to the Dark side. The way Emperor changed his mind and slowly said yes twice, made me feel Vader used the force to influence the Emperor. Plus George​ Lucas originally intended the Emperor to be the Political leader, but he changed his mind.

22. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Jar Jar is the key to all this

23. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Heresy

24. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Agreed. :)

:D

25. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    Funny you should say that... early notes for ESB suggest that it was the Emperor who mind-tricked Anakin Skywalker into becoming Darth Vader, as an evil spell that enslaved his will and left him prisoner in his own body (a geas, to use the Irish word so aptly employed by Doc Smith in a similar context).