main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Sylvester Stallone's "Oscar" was a better film than the prequels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avnar likes this.
  2. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I like Jar Jar, and I think Gungans are some of the coolest aliens in SW.
    I don't like Obi-Wan, or Mace, or Yoda.
    I don't like Sabine.
    The Republic Commando quartet are some of my favorite SW books.

3. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    The Ewoks should be featured in a new Novel,
    Movie or TV Series ( and not the silly Lego or Toddler type of cartoons ).

4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I think Jyn Erso is VASTLY overrated. She's interesting, but overrated. Definitely does not stand in the same league with Leia, Rey, Padme, or even Hera IMO.

5. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Padme doesn't even get a good mention now and days(you know, the creator of the beloved rebellion? Not even the wonderful Pernilla August as Shmi. Ashoka, Rey and Jyn are heavily overrated despite only having one movie. Ashoka is the exact same.

I love her character. I love her development...Her design has some humor but cuteness to it.

I hate that TCW and the fanbase puts Ashoka above Padme just because she's a force user(even Sabine gets more...Typical). TCW in general could have done more with Padme. At least the Tarvosky Star Wars, 2D dimensional animation, had Padme doing something.

6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Whilst I hate the tinkering done with the OT...I wouldn't mind seeing GL turn Ewoks into Wookies! :cool: I don't hate the Ewoks - I just think Wookies would have been amazing and much more believable in the end battle of Endor! :cool: This may not even be an unpopular opinion other than the tinkering with the originals part haha

Pain and Suffering likes this.
  7. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Ahsoka is the fan service/wish fulfillment character that often develops in a long-running series. I despise her. She had some decent moments, but ultimately didn't deserve a leading role in the series. She is the main reason why I prefer the original Tartakovski Clone Wars as the definitive bridge between AotC and RotS.

8. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    While I enjoyed the first season, I just can't stand Star Wars Rebels now. TCW is soooooo much better.

9. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    I agree, most superficial Star Wars lead ever...

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  10. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

I do enjoy her, really. But yeah, she takes away from Padme(other potential candidates) and her being Anakin's pupil never went well with me. She felt so over-focused and I wonder if much of that is Filoni's doing.

Now if she was in Rebels as a lead, no problem.

11. Jedi Master Chuck

Jedi Master Chuck Jedi Master star 2

Mar 19, 2013
    I (mostly) like the prequel movies. Episode II is pretty rough due to the romance, Anakin's portrayal, and the muddled manner in which Dooku and the Separatists are introduced.

I'm not a huge fan of Rebels. It's enjoyable, but nowhere near the same level as The Clone Wars.

I actually think the best solution to some of the problems with the Star Wars special editions is not to revert to the theatrical cut, but to make an even more 'edited' version with the following changes: Redo the inserted CGI scenes to update them to modern standards. 2017 CGI blends much more naturally with practical effects than 1997 CGI. They could redo the scenes like Jabba in Episode IV for example. I'm not saying they should insert MORE CGI, just replace the stuff inserted in 1997 with better CGI. Remove Darth Vader yelling 'NO!' in RotJ...so I guess that's going back to the theatrical cut. I'm not a big fan of the musical scene in Jabba's palace. I'm not suggesting huge changes, but what I'm getting at is reverting to the theatrical cut may not be the best option. Some things added in the special edition I like better such as having Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor in Empire Strikes Back. Much better than the half-monkey face. I don't think most people are inherently against making changes to an original movie - after all, the Final Cut of Blade Runner is heralded as the best version of the movie.

12. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    They've already updated CGI Jabba (for the DVD edition?) so you're at the risk of having to redo it again in another ten years because 2017 CGI will eventually looked dated as well.
    [​IMG]

DarthCricketer and TheMoldyCrow like this.
  13. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014

Agreed

Not that the first season was perfect but it did have a sense of fun and adventure that the later seasons didn't quite capture. As of now its still my favorite season of Rebels and likely will continue to be.

DrDre and TheMoldyCrow like this.
  14. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I would rather Disney re-made the PT than more films set in the ST era!

15. Ansatsu

Ansatsu Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2017
    I like the edited version of OT more because of the added and modified effects. Looks better and fits the PT better. I don't care about Creedo shooting first and accept is as canon.
    I like all Star Wars movies, but I like PT most. My favorite ones are Episodes I and II. My least favorite one is Episode IV (although it's still one of my favorite movies). My favorite OT movie is Episode VI.
    I am indifferent about Jar Jar, Ewoks or kid Anakin. I don't love them or hate them. These are just characters and they are not the reason I like Star Wars.
    I'm satisfied with the acting in the PT, not bothered by anything.
    One of my favorite lightsaber fights is the final fight between Luke and Vader. You know it's the conclusion.. you know this is it.. so tense and epic.
    Me and my friends are in mid to late 20-s and we love the PT. The idea that it is only loved by kids is false and plenty of older people like them.

I did not know all these things were hated until I read it from the internet. Now really sure most fans truly think like that? Perhaps there is only a small group of haters and they are loud? Perhaps people hate PT, because they expected to get the same experience they got from OT. When the OT came out, I presume everyone was amazed by the effects and the unique story. Things like that were never seen before. People couldn't re-experience something like that nowadays. The disappointment from that caused the hate towards PT. Mass psychology. This is a mere speculation and probably wrong, but I have thought that.

Edit: Almost forgot. As I said, I don't care about Jar Jar, but I would rather be more annoyed about C-3PO's whining throughout the saga. Ever since he started with the "We're doomed!" in Episode IV. I'm not really bothered by his whining, but he's a better candidate then Jar Jar is what I say.

16. Rudy Redlin

Rudy Redlin Jedi Knight

Feb 12, 2013
    • The PT as a whole is better than the OT
    • Jar Jar is perfectly tolerable
    • Anakin's romantic dialogue in AOTC is actually quite believable coming from a lovestruck awkward teenager
    • Obi-Wan's new krayt dragon call is hilarious and amazing and I love it more than I love my life
    • Leia and Han Solo's romance is kinda bleh

17. I like the Stormtroppers more than Clones and Mandalorians
    They are more realistic soldiers because they are just regular humans trying to do their job well

18. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I'll take a cue from above and add this one in:

I prefer the Blu-Ray version of Obi-Wan's Krayt Dragon call in ANH, when he scares the sandpeople away. Out of the few different incarnations, I prefer this one cos it sounds more realistic: like a HUMAN making an animal sound-just amplified (presumably) using the Force, rather than the actual sound of the actual creature-which seems a stretch to me.

I also like it better than the original cos I always thought it was odd to have him imitate the sound of a creature we've (sadly) never seen/heard onscreen. The boga sound on the DVD version is okay in terms of continuity, since he rode one in ROTS, but again it's not him imitating a sound, but the sound of the actual creature itself. The Blu-ray version seems much more natural and believable (which is why I presume it was changed).

19. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Outside of the novelty of blending seamlessly with A New Hope, Rogue One was a woefully generic action movie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003

Agreed. As a standalone action movie, it seems really shallow.

I loved Rogue One, but I mean let's face facts: it's basically two hours of SW fan service-and that was what it was intended to be. If not for its direct connections-in aesthetic, characters, and especially in the timeline of the plot, I would likely not have cared much about it. Those bits of continuity and nods that connected it to the PT and ANH are really the main things I enjoyed about it.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  21. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Depends on which version you go by. Lucas said a few times that OT stormtroopers are clones, but he has flipped flopped back and fourth on it as has Lucasfilm. Back in 1978 they stated they were clones. Even today, Lucasfilm sells t-shirts stating stormtroopers are clones while selling media that states the opposite.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The recent book Stormtroopers: Beyond The Armour, shows Lucas's evolving views. And of course, the newcanon isn't behold to obey things Lucas states "outside of the actual movies". For example, From A Certain Point of View, retcons Head Banger, into not a Jango clone at all, but an ordinary human recruit.

AOTC DVD commentary:

"In Star Wars, one of the stormtroopers bumps his head on the door as they leave the control room on the Death Star and I thought Wouldn't it be funny if that's a trait that Jango has? When he puts his helmet on and everything, he can't really see that well, and so he's constantly bumping his head. That trait gets cloned into all the stormtroopers, and that's why they keep bumping their heads."

Set Diary, August 2003:

"Well, they start to turn to different sources when they need [soldiers], that's why you get the differences. We get a model that isn't the Jango version, that doesn't bump his head on doors. But then we get versions that can't shoot straight. I can see the corruption in the Empire: someone says to the Emperor, my cousin would like to fight in the wars, but he doesn't want to do any of the actual fighting. Can you clone him? Well, can he shoot? Ah, yeah. Sure he can."

May 2005 MTV interview:

"The idea is that over time, there were new strains introduced, and then they even conscripted guys to be stormtroopers. So it's not just purely clones; it started out as clones, but then it got diluted over the years as they found out they could shanghai guys [more cheaply] than they could build clones."

The book also stresses that for TCW, Lucas was the one who insisted on individual personalities for the clones - peculiar nicknames, haircuts, tattoos, designs and customisations of armor, even distinct mannerisms and speech patterns.

23. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Yet Disney also currently sells these
    Most of which are not in ROTS. TCW also changed low attitude gunship aircraft into space going craft, gave Anakin a apprentice that is never mentioned in the films, and even resurrecting a clearly dead Maul. Lucas did a lot of changes in TCW that are difficult to impossible to reconcile with the films.

Yet Disney currently sells these [​IMG]

This indicates Disney recognizes both views, hence why they merchandise to both subsets of the stormtrooper fan market. Its called marketing segmentation, when a company identifies various segments and sub segments in their market, and either caters to one as a niche or to all of them with differentiated products for each segment.

Dandelo likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Or just that they don't keep up with new information. TK-421 isn't a clone anymore, either.

25. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    Here's an unpopular opinion for you:

The franchise peaked over 30 years ago and it wouldn't bother me at all if they stopped making Star Wars movies altogether. Like everyone else I was beyond excited when Episode 7 was announced but it's clear that Disney is not George Lucas and these movies are never going to reach for that level of genius ever again.

Prisic Duskleap and -NaTaLie- like this.