main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    But the story of the ST is written by GL... and he's a creative consultant... mostly everyone knows this

Andy Wylde and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  2. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Yup, and a lot of people like to point to Empire and say, "See, he didn't write it and it turned out great!" Except that he was a co-writer on Empire, and gave Leigh Brackett credit because he is a classy guy.

3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Conversely, I don't see anyone pointing to AOTC and bashing Jonathan Hales even though he co-wrote it

4. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Maybe because we know Lucas made most, if not all of the major decisions?

5. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

Isn't that true for ESB and ROTJ too, though? And a lot of people don't seem to want to give Lucas credit for that...

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

7. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I don't think it's as simple as SW directed / written by GL = bad, without = good, or vice versa for that matter. His role seems to permeate every aspect of the films, regardless of his credited roles. I'd say it's a case of SW being better when GL is working with strong collaborators who will challenge him from time to time, rather than 'Yes George' fans. Same could be said for most film makers I'd say.

8. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
  9. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Hales' work should not be underestimated . He wrote two script drafts on his own and also rewrote love dialogue on set in Australia .

But then again , the same people blame him for the bad things . I've never read "Marquand gave Boba Fett a terrible death scene " or "Kasdan didn't bother to give Leia something to do in ROTJ " (although contrary to ESB , Kasdan worked on ROTJ from Writing Day 1) etc.

10. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008

A lot of people don't quote that Lucas had a strong hand in the editing of ROTJ and overshadowed what Marquand had shot. Marquand wasn't really enthusiastic about the finished product. As much as Lucas get's the knocks - there is one piece of footage that supports endless stories of how Lucas interfered with ROTJ a lot. There is a small scene in The Making of Return of the Jedi (Ebook) where David Tomblin/Marquand are trying to set up a rehearsal of the Ewok attack outside the bunker. Marquand and Tomblin have it set up in discussion and Lucas is trying to give his input/creative decision (again) and they obviously (which is very apparent on film) are getting pissed off with him. Yet he didn't do that with Kersh on ESB? Hmmmmm...

Sadly, Marquand couldn't defend his work on ROTJ after passing in September 1987.

11. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The point is moot. This is the unpopular opinions thread and it's popular to rant about how Star Wars is better without it's creator. Which is to say it's better had it not been born.

Very popular. Give us an unpopular opinion, something that loses your cool cred at the parties.

12. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Jar Jar was once my favorite character

Jarren_Lee-Saber and FRAGWAGON like this.
  13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Except there are times when Lucas ignores those who challenge him and times when Lucas changes his mind later on. The Battle of Naboo and Yoda's Lightsaber battles are two examples of this. There's no magic formula here.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  14. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Perhaps in those cases the collaborators weren't quite strong enough.

15. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Tarkin is why I watch ANH. I enjoy very much that he holds his own and is not intimidated by Vader.

Seagoat, -Jedi Joe- and Vthuil like this.
  16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

More likely, Lucas will do what he wants. In TPM, he choose to trust his instincts. With Yoda, he admitted that Kasdan was right about Yoda fighting and that he was wrong saying that Yoda never fought.

17. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    Here's mine:

Jar Jar Binks adds something to the PT Trilogy. Plus he's less annoying then 'lil Anakin.

The podrace was a good and needed segment.

I think the story benefits from Boba being dead.

18. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    It's also just that sometimes things don't even occur to a person, and it can take another person pointing them out for them to even come up. If one's collaborators are independent creatives, then one can get lots of this kind of feedback to work with. If one's collaborators are less willing to present alternate/their own ideas (for whatever reason - maybe they see the person in charge as someone whose ideas are automatically gold, for example), then some really good ideas may never even have the chance to be included, simply because they never occurred to the person in charge and no one else mentioned them. By the way, I'm not saying the people working on the prequels had that kind of hero-worship, I'm just using that as a possible example.

Actually, the art department on the prequels did come up with alternate ideas and suggest plotlines (McCaig kept fighting for a female villain, I think, and someone else did a painting of Obi-Wan meeting with Qui-Gon's ghost on Utapau as a suggestion to George). But there doesn't seem to have been so much of a story-plot-theme discussion, the way there was for ESB or ROTJ (depicted in their Making Of books).

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I wonder if he was wrong about anything else he said during that conversation.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

That's because those films were made the traditional way, while the PT was done a different way that fit the style that Lucas felt comfortable with. Given statements that we've heard from the production, Lucas went to his friends who were all more accomplished directors and they gave him their feedback.

Well, he didn't outright say that he was wrong, but it shows with Yoda's two duels in the films and what he did in TCW and the EU at large. But in general terms, it wasn't a case of right and wrong, but going by what I've read in the official thread discussing the 81 story meetings, they appeared to be eye to eye on things. Kazanjian was the only one who outright questioned the decision to have Anakin as a ghost, after he talked to him about his appearing as one in the first place.

21. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Isn't that what I said too?

He also consulted his friends for the OT (Brian de Palma wrote the opening crawl for ANH, I think).

22. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The Gungans are one of the most interesting races in all of Star Wars, and are associated with some of the most visually stunning images and set pieces in the Saga.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    ROTJ is the perfect ending to the saga and the Empire is dead at end of it.

lbr789 likes this.
  24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I would say the Sith are dead at the end of RotJ if only 'two there are'.

25. Darth Ardyti

Darth Ardyti Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2014

While I tend to try to not use the word "perfect", I can agree with the overall sentiment. Though I'm still excited to see where it goes next :D

I also kind of agree with bstnsx704 a little about the Gungans and the set pieces. Boss Nass and Captain Tarpals are two of my favorite characters in TPM.

And just to round it off, though I don't know how unpopular these are:

1. I don't care about the EU. Except for video games. Then it's mainly just because "Hey! It's a Star Wars game!"
    2. Even though I prefer the OT story wise, I like the Republic Era more than the Imperial/ Rebellion Era.
    3. The Obi-Wan investigation is my favorite part of AOTC, along with the battle scene on Geonosis.
    4. I like the podrace scenes of TPM. I didn't care the first time I saw it, but it's since grown on me.
    5. I like the battle droids
    There's more, but I'll stop there. ;)

bstnsx704 likes this.