main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    possibly

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "Not even the younglings survived" is an unintentionally hilarious line.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    "Younglings" is widely considered a silly-sounding word.

5. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Really? That's what I called my brother for several years.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    For some perhaps but I really think it's rather difficult to quantify 'widely' with any accuracy.

7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I never bought into the whole "lol Lucas used a silly word" thing in relation to "younglings." Perhaps because I was familiar with the word long before the prequels came about.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  8. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I don't consider "younglings" to be particularly silly. There are lots worse words that could have been used. "Buckaroos."

Andy Wylde, purplerain and FRAGWAGON like this.
  9. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Hmm...

Give Yoda a cowboy hat and that would have been brilliant!

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Lucas probably stole it from Rogue Planet.

11. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    This issue just came up on the IMDb ROTS board the other day.

I'll quote my response -- hardly the most exciting I've ever issued, but here it is:

Andy Wylde and rdhight like this.
  12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, not surprising at all. Pretty common misconception in my experience.

13. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I never understood why it was so important for Luke to renew the Jedi Order. Nor did I ever understood how important for Luke to become a Jedi

14. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    In-universe, you could argue that the Jedi represent an elite which was partly responsible for its own downfall, and that the rebuilt Republic could be better off without them - this could also work thematically, in the sense that 'normal' people needed to take charge of their own destinies without relying on a force of superheroes (similar to the departure of the Elves and the Wizards in Tolkien, it was time for Men to stand on their own two feet). It'll be interesting to see how the ST addresses the Jedi.

Luke, however - becoming a Jedi like his father was at the heart of the 'hero's journey', it was essential to his storyline. Putting aside any in-universe issues with the Jedi themselves (such issues hadn't really been conceived when SW/ANH was made), becoming a Jedi was simply a goal for Luke, and it drove his entire story arc.

jbyrd1245, rdhight and Force Smuggler like this.
  15. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    Stormtroopers were clones

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Some.

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Because the Jedi Order needed to be reborn. The Jedi were and are the guardians of peace and justice in the Republic. They have a duty to use their abilities in the service of others and to protect against any possible return of the Sith. Yoda and Obi-wan understood that the Jedi Order of old failed to destroy the Sith a thousand years ago and they came back. There needs to be a Jedi Order to counter any possible return.

YODA: "Stopped they must be. On all this depends. Only a fully trained Jedi Knight with the Force as his ally will conquer Vader and his Emperor."

Walking in there without Jedi training would be a big mistake against two of the most powerful Sith Lords in the galaxy.

Andy Wylde, Yanksfan and rdhight like this.
  18. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Perhaps . . . but I don't like it. The story seemed to be wrapping Luke's identity around him being a Jedi, instead of Luke reaching his own self-discovery without having to adhere himself to some institution - religious order or otherwise.

Meanwhile, the Rebel Alliance managed to destroy a great deal of the Imperial forces, thanks to the actions of a former Princess of Alderaan, two former smugglers, a Wookie, two droids and a group of teddy bears.

Anzeroth2112 likes this.
  19. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    The whole 'religious institution' aspect of the Jedi Order with all its flaws seems to be more of a 1990s creation (although yes, Tarkin does refer to 'their religion'), the vision of the Jedi in the OT era resembles something more along the lines of the Knights of the Round Table and the Samurai - point being that it's an ideal to aspire to. Nothing in the OT suggests that it shouldn't be. 'Jedi' in the singular sense basically equals 'hero'.

"I want to aid the Rebel Alliance and help them restore freedom to the galaxy in any capacity I can" doesn't have the same epic, poetic ring to it that "I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi like my father" does.

jbyrd1245, Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    So true Darth_Nub. That line gives me shivers. Luke gets to make the New Jedi Order in his image. It won't be anything like the old one. Don't envy him though.

21. James Skyrunner

James Skyrunner Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    [quote uid=1019076 name="heels1785" post=50474358]In terms of acting, the cast of the Prequel Trilogy is significantly stronger than the cast of the Original Trilogy.[/quote]<br /> <br /> <br />heels1785<br /> <br />Including Jake Lloyd?<br/>. Excpecially Jake Lloyd he did an amazing job as a young anakin

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

22. yodafan1031

yodafan1031 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    OK, opinions I now hold that may be considered controversial? Well, I think that The PT, in terms of story elements, is much more complex and well thought out. I also think that the acting is just as strong in the PT as in the CT. I really, REALLY love the scene in RotS with Yoda vs. Palpatine. Even though Yoda "failed", that scene, really shows many things about Yoda's true character.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The PT is more complex than the OT. That is a fact. Now, how well thought out/successful it was is up for debate.

Dark Lady Mara and Yanksfan like this.
  24. James Skyrunner

James Skyrunner Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    I think the PT did a good job of better explaining stuff from the OT that GL hadn't rele worked out all the way it was just a loose back story to justify his starting at IV to create the illusion of a Saturday morning mattnea at local movie theaters in the 30s in the style of buck rogers or flash Gordon futuristic comic book story which worked out to his benefit because when he went back to do PT he had the flexibility to better explain concepts from the OT and weave it nicely with the PT GL is a genius story teller

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Luke wanted to be a Jedi. He wasn't forced into it. He tells Obi-wan and Yoda that he wants to be a Jedi like his father. He even tells Palpatine that without giving him the finger. Luke's journey of self discovery was that there was a darkness within him that he must resist giving into and to find out why his father went bad, so that he could save him.

Right and in the end the Empire would not fall without Luke's actions. They needed to work together to do this.

Andy Wylde, rdhight and Sarge like this.