main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    IronAngel89 , Your opinion is not so unpopular. Ahsoka is a great character. I know some people here who are a major fans.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To my understanding she is well liked on other parts of the net, it is just that here have many people that dislike her gathered of some reason. Or at least enough load people that dislike her.

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  3. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Storm Troopers were more interesting when you believed they weren't clones (OT). When they just were men serving the Empire, you could imagine they might have families and etc. The inclusion of Kamino and Clones helped explain their numbers (And paid homage to the Clone Wars, although Lucas could have made the Clones an enemy race that Jedi were fighting prior to the Empire), but it robbed them of their humanity.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That's only true if you don't believe clones are people, which is generally not how it's been presented.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I disagree.

StrikerKOJ likes this.
  6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Are you sure Storm Troopers are clones? I believe the Clones fell into disfavor with Palpatine after the Clone Wars.

IronAngel89 and thejeditraitor like this.
  7. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Now that I think about it more, TCW did debunk that the Clones have no humanity. As for what you said Baz, you are right. Many of the Clones according to my reckoning are replaced after the Clone Wars end. I even recall a clone from the 501st making a remark that there are few left of his brothers (clones), I think it might have been Commander Cody. We can see just from canon that Admiral Tarkin and other leaders are not clones and thus one has to reason that not all Storm Troopers are clones.

IronAngel89 and Iron_lord like this.
  8. IronAngel89

IronAngel89 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2014
    Well this confirms a question I was beginning to form in my mind a couple days ago lol

Kato Sai likes this.
  9. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

On some of these questions, we need weather reports on which way the wind is blowing inside George Lucas' head.

"Looks like the saga will be nine films Saturday and Sunday with a 25% chance of stormtroopers being clones. And now back to you, Dave."

"Thanks, Kathleen! Our top story: It looks like the Inquisitor stumbled into a treasure trove of Togruta trouble on the latest Rebels...."

10. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

You just summarized the two hottest topics regarding the show :p

rdhight likes this.
  11. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    1)Only the six movies are canon.

2)After Gui-Gon, Mace Windu is the most open-minded Jedi we encounter in the Prequel trilogy.

3)Bringing balance to the Force has nothing to do with killing Sidious/eliminating Sith from the galaxy.

4)Anakin is the only likeable character in TPM.

5)ESB has the worst plot of the saga.

6)Leia being Luke's sister is a poor decision.

7)The Force being Anakin's father is an excellent idea.

8)Carrie Fisher performed well as Leia in the first two films.

9)Hayden Christensen delivered the best performance in all 6 movies.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Very interesting perceptions. I agree with number 7. However, I feel it was handled very poorly.

Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    How is it you consider Qui-Gon the most open-minded Jedi in the PT, yet don't consider him a likeable character?

(This is a sincere question).

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    whoa!! Post 1138...:p:-B

15. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Cushing's Admirer:

I agree it wasn't as developed as it could have been...I just thought that the Force being Anakin's father opened the window for questions of fate vs individual choices throughout the saga, existential exploration like the purpose of Anakin's existence(if the force created him specifically, then there might be some special quality in him that makes him stuck to influence, teach, or perform X duty, consciously or not, for better or worst)everyone's roles & how can Jedi, Sith and other force-users can shape the galaxy by their own enlightenment of those.

In the movies, Anakin's virgin birth was only used as the discovery of him being the Chosen One, and maybe to accentuate the importance/belief of fate in decision-making by the Jedi. What I'd have liked to see is a deeper dwelling of such matters & themes mentioned above by Jedi Councilers and Anakin himself. I mean, all we hear is that the prophecy states he will bring balance and thought to be destroying Sith. We hear at various points which Jedi(Mace, Yoda and Obi-Wan) believe in the prophecy. But aside from those shallow wonderings, we get nothing. We don't get to hear Jedi trying to interpret the meaning of Balance or how Jedi/Sith play into this. We don't see any meditation-interpretation exercises that would demonstrate how Jedi intuition operates with its pros/cons and how they arrive to their conclusions.

To go to my number 3, I firmly believe that Anakin was prophesized to bring Balance--in the Jedi Order. Jedi in the Prequels were rigid and reeked of double-standards. They praised one set of neutral behaviors(detachment, serenity,etc) and went to the extreme to conserve those(abstinence of this, that...) while Anakin indulged in the opposite set of otherwise neutral behaviors(attachment, passion, etc) and went to the extreme to embrace those (I'm getting this, that...). Both were ignorant and treated the opposite as 'evil' while they were in fact favoring what is not inherently good or bad. Anakin represented what the Jedi lacked--difference, the other side of the spectrum, what they needed to reach harmony in their ideals, and it was his job as the Chosen One to balance them out. However...instead of teaching or interacting with them proactively to reach a greater understanding, he grew resentful of them, focused on perceived wrong being done to him only, dismissed them completely. He kept himself unbalanced -failed his duty and turned to the dark side, and the whole saga centers around his failure.

I think the Jedi were portrayed in an extremist manner, and Anakin to the other extremist on purpose to convey the failure of his achieving balance. The Sith-Palpatine took advantage of their innate differences to create intolerance and nurtured Anakin in a path destined to vengeance. Speaking of Sith, I think Anakin destroying them(well Sidious) was just an inevitability because of his natural force potential, central role in the war and Sith plotting around the prophecy for their gain--Anakin destroying them as a byproduct-event-of the prophecy, not THE prophecy.

No matter the interpretations, the destiny themes would have been richer had some action sequences like pod race, battle scenes and others been cut to add philosophical scenes centering around those questions...and knowing what Anakin thought of all that would have better our understanding of his character even more-one way or another, his views on the prophecy vs Jedi's views on the prophecy must have influenced his fall.

Well, I just don't find him to be that engaging as a character. I mean I do find him interesting as a symbol-like Anakin, he represented evolution needed for the Order(more focus on the present, open-mindedness about age issues and interpersonal connections, not being ruled by the code but by Jedi intuition). He lacked the dogmatic behavior shown by most of the Order, so that makes him more open-minded for sure. But, I was annoyed by the selective tolerance he showed... insisting to .help out Anakin and Jar Jar was a step further in humanity than Obi-Wan showed in TPM for sure, but his attitude towards Jar Jar was mostly one of condescension when he was 'stuck' with him. I didn't care for the 'I know better' vibe I got from him. A broad thinker but limited by his own prejudices. 'Neimoidians are cowards' comes to mind too.

wobbits, Vthuil and Iron_lord like this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Mace Windu is one of my favorite characters.

17. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Force Grip is not a Dark Side Power.

18. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013
    The Dark Side is more powerful than the Light Side of the Force

19. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Palpatine was not as powerful as the Jedi believed.

20. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

But you do believe he was powerful, no? Just not as powerful as the Jedi believed him to be? :confused:

21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Very interesting perceptions again, Empress Shatterpoint. I don't think Anakin brought balance to anything. I do think he had the potential to help the Jedi Order achieve balance but how can you help others achieve it when you lack it yourself? They all needed balance and they all refused to listen or change. The only possible things Anakin did that *could* be seen as 'bringing balance' for me are: 1. He was redeemed (yes, I know certain users contest this but for me and others it's a key point of RotJ). 2. He destroys both Orders so Jedi and Sith must begin fresh.

Personally, I don't think balance can be achieved until the manufactured lame war between the Jedi and Sith ceases. For me, it's pointless. Unlike most, I don't see Jedi as good and Sith as evil. I see them as perhaps you do in that they are opposites that need to merge to achieve the sought balance.

Oh, yes, I'd have preferred the virgin birth element to not have happened at all but since it did I wish it had been handled with more care.

22. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Luke: Is the dark side stronger?

Yoda: No, no. No. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

FRAGWAGON, Sarge and Kato Sai like this.
  23. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014

I always thought it would be an interesting twist if Shmi was just lying about the whole "virgin birth" idea. She was a slave, after all, and maybe she didn't willingly conceive Anakin. When Qui Gon confronts her about Anakins ability with the force, maybe she just made up a story to make Anakin seem more important than he was so that Qui Gon would try to free Anakin, and to hide her shame. It's not like Shmi offered up the information until Qui Gon asked her straight up. What reason does every other character have to believe her other than "she said so"? In fact, every other Jedi on the council, and Obi wan, don't believe Qui Gon right away.

Maybe Anakin is the wrong guy, and the "prophecy" isn't really fulfilled.

Just random musings.

Yanksfan likes this.
  24. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013

And just because Yoda said it, it means that it is true? :rolleyes:

Ask any Jedi and he/she will tell you that the Dark Side is not stronger and ask any Sith and he/she will tell you the opposite.

If you want to analyse the power of each side, then you must look at it objectively, from people who have experienced both sides of the Force :)

wobbits and darklordoftech like this.
  25. Kato Sai

Apr 27, 2014
    Lord_Anzeroth, yes I think he was powerful. I just think the Jedi inflated his power in their fear. Mace Windu defeated Palpatine, Yoda could have, but I think because they had never dealt with a Sith Lord they were hesitant (I am not including Legends/EU, just film canon in my sentiments).