main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    There's nothing wrong with the name Sheev.

2. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    Unpopular opinions, hmm ... ok. Here's something that will go against the grain:

The Jedi Order does not serve the light side of the Force. The term "grey Jedi" is a misnomer. The proper term for "grey Jedi" is "Jedi." Qui-Gon Jinn was not darker than the other Jedi, he was brighter.

The Jedi definitely opposed the darkness, but only Luke truly embraced the light. The Jedi sought to preserve peace, but were willing to do so through intimidation and targeted violence. They sought justice, but were not necessarily all that compassionate. And while it is sometimes necessary to sacrifice one or a few for the greater good, the Jedi seemed alarmingly quick to do so.

The Jedi sought balance. They were actually much more like The Father from the Mortis trilogy than they were like The Daughter, who was truly aligned with the light side.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Glove of DV is quality literature....toilet paper.

4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Han Solo annoys me, and his character just contributed to the supposedly lovable rogue stereotype.

And his most debatable moment is NOT killing Greedo, as Greedo could've killed him, the weapon in question was lethal, plus Greedo was highly sentient and as tall as a human.

CoolyFett likes this.
  5. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Harrison has some of the worst delivery of any actor in the series.

And Han is one of my favorite characters.

Andy Wylde, CoolyFett and Pensivia like this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Jedi only fought when attacked. The events on Geonosis were in response to A) an assassination attempt and B) a leader who didn't want to negotiate peacefully but by starting a war. Luke himself also relied on intimidation and violence to free Han.

Debatable on what you define as compassion.

I wouldn't say that. They did go to rescue Obi-wan rather than let him die. Leaving Oddball to fight on his own while rescuing Palpatine was of the greater concern. Luke was walking into a trap meant to either kill him, or turn him to the dark side.

7. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Every Mega True Ultra Real Platinum Fan knows that Star Wars came straight to Blu-Ray in 2011. All other versions were workprints that somehow ended up in movie theaters and on home video, probably via nefarious means by Haters that need to ruin THE CREATOR'S reputation.

Yanksfan likes this.
  8. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

I see the point you're making, but it does violate the golden "films, not fans" rule. Let's keep the 'Unpopular opinions' of this thread focused upon the films themselves.

TX-20 likes this.
  9. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I think the PT is only a half a star away from equaling the OT.

10. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Well this is rather obvious but I don't think the PT are the worst films ever. I mean do people really think about how many bad movies there are from straight to dvd films to bad parody films (Epic Movie anyone?), I,m sure there is literally a ship (Titanic size) load of worst movies then the PT.

11. Darth Ardyti

Darth Ardyti Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2014

This I can absolutely 100,000,000% agree with ;)! In fact, I own copies of several movies I'd say were at least a little worse. But of course, "best" and "worst" are subjective. My idea of the "best" movie is someone else's idea of "worst", so take that for what it's worth.

And because it's been awhile since I've posted on this thread, I'll close it out with two more unpopular opinions (or at least I think it is, though it may be catching on...):

• We each make our own canon.
    • George Lucas would've dropped the EU himself if he had continued the Saga. At least the post-ROTJ stuff. People are just mad at Disney for being upfront about it.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I agree with the first two but don't own any examples and as to the final I have the impression GL didn't care much about the EU except that it made money.

Yanksfan and Darth Ardyti like this.
  13. bowieslefteye

bowieslefteye Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2003
    Agreed. EU for GL was just about selling rights...IMO.
    But it did produce some great stuff.

14. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh right, figured I'd say this as I seem to be the only one who feels this way

I absolutely LOVE the big no added to Anakin's redemption. I feel that it strengthens the scene and adds meaning in that

1. It adds continuity to Anakin's character
    2. It mirrors the moment he maimed Mace in ROTS

wobbits, Andy Wylde and FRAGWAGON like this.
  15. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    I don't know if this is an "unpopular" opion, but I never liked the Jabba's palace scenes. To me they felt creepy and repulsive, and every time I watch return of the jedi I'm always thinking "just get han the heck out of there so we can get on with the movie!" I also never got why we had to watch a 5 minute clip of those stupid dancers in Jabba's palace.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That's the point I would imagine.

Yanksfan and Darth Ardyti like this.
  17. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    You know am I the only one that thinks the Sarlacc is a rather disturbing thing. I always feel sorry for the guy's that fall in and don't get killed be Luke's saber. I agree that the Jabba palace scene to be my least favorite part in ROTJ ( though I do like the Pit of Cuckoon battle itself and the music of it just not the sarlacc).

Revious Nugo likes this.
  18. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    A true hive of scum and villainy.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  20. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    -AOTC is a more adventurous movie than all the OT combined.

-For all her beauty, I don't consider the creation of Naboo a success.

-C-3P0 and R2-D2 are the heart of Star Wars humor; without their existence I don't know that I'd find many funny moments.

21. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    There's a weird disconnect between the Jabba Palace scenes and the rest of the movie, but I like them more than any of the Endor scenes. Jabba's Palace always seems like a twisted vision of the Cantina scene from ANH to me, which is cool.

As for the bold, I agree the dance number seems strange, but it is enjoyable and I like the tease for the rancor. Unfortunately, that came with the death of Oola, who I am a big fan of. So don't call her stupid. :p

Revious Nugo likes this.
  22. Aeneas 1138

Aeneas 1138 Jedi Knight star 1

May 1, 2014
    I am something of an apologist for George. I like his scripts, his direction, his casting, and pretty much everything else (I turned to the Dark Side of anti-George SW fans when he sold SW to Disney, but I have now returned to the Light). I think the prequels and Jar-Jar are great. Indeed, I prefer ROTS to the OT. I love the political drama of the PT. Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen are excellent actors (anyone who has seen the TPM special features knows Lloyd was vastly better than the runner-up). I cannot imagine why George would not have taken advantage of the latest advances in CGI when making the prequels - they would have the same effect as more traditional special effects (better, in fact), but are more efficient. Clearly, George did not compromise storytelling for CGI - he wrote the script before he employed special effects. Meanwhile, the CGI additions are generally positive, including CGI Yoda in TPM and Ewoks blinking (although I do not actually have a Blu-Ray player, so I am withholding judgment on Vader's 'nooo'). I never saw a problem with the romance between Anakin and Padme (besides which, it is hardly reasonable to expect a member of an Order which tells its members to suppress their emotions to know how to speak to women like some silver-tongued Casanova).

I suppose it is a generational thing - I grew up with the prequels and the special editions. They did not ruin my child: they were part of my childhood.

3PO is just as good a character as R2. Jango is far better than Boba, in the films. Boba was frankly quite pathetic in ROTJ. The fall of the Order and the Republic was not caused by the Jedi's own arrogance.

I do not know that this is unpopular, because I think most people would like to believe it, but Mace and Yoda both beat Palpatine. The idea that Palpatine was so much more powerful than the Jedi that he could beat Yoda and throw the duel to Mace is just embarrassing.

I wish George would go back over the OT once more and make a few more changes. The lightsabres are not as convincing as they could be (especially in ANH, where they look 2D at times), nor are all of the aliens/costumes and other special effects, like the space slug.

Oh, and by the way, I am glad midichlorians were mentioned. No doubt someone will hunt me down for these heresies.

23. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Lol...ha ha ha

Anyways, id say all the canon fights are pretty lame. Star Wars is a massive universe with a massive timeline. My unpopular opinion is canon canon stuff. Let fans make their own canon.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    The canon fights ARE lame. Fans accept what they choose anyway.

TX-20 and Darth Ardyti like this.
  25. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Im mainly a fan of the 6 movies, ive read one Star Wars novel, its a post ROTJ book, only after watching each of the 6 hundreds of times, i kinda got tired of watch all of them and tried Clone Wars on Netflicks. I dont really view the PT flicks and Clone Wars as one Canon, its like saying one needs the other. I will say the same for the OT and Rebels, Rebels doesnt need to be a prequel to the OT. The movies are the movies, the Tv shows are the TV shows, the novels or the novels. Trying to make one main timeline for everything is dumb and Disney was wrong for trying to hijack the EU from fans. Even though im not a huge EU guy, i know there are some comic books, novels and video games that stand up great on their own and dont need major affiliation with the main 6. I view star wars like I view Marvel or DC there are different versions of Spider Man, different version of Batman, Superman, Ironman etc etc. You have comic book Anakin, Clone Wars Anakin, PT film Anakin, different authors will handle the Character differently. I say let them and fans you support the authors you like instead of putting down a piece Star War media as non canon. Its just an easy cop out to me. If i randomly pick up a Star War novel or comic and Anakin is bald and Obi Wan is Asian im not gonna get ticked off, if the story is good the story is good. There shouldnt be one version of it. Heck there is not even one version of the bible and the stories contained there.

Darth_Nub likes this.