main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    There are more than just a dozen bounty hunters in the Galaxy, and they don't all know each other.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Why is it dumb to have one consistent timeline of events? That's how life is. You don't say that something that happened to you as a child happened in another universe. You need your past to live in the present and go into the future. Every part of your life happened to you and will continue to happen. The PT is connected to the OT because that's the point of a prequel. To tell the backstory. Same with the ST to tell the later story. Disney didn't hijack the EU, Lucasfilm did. Which it would have done if Lucas had kept his company and started work on the ST.

3. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    There was not enough political scenes in neither PT nor OT.

4. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    - 95% of the Special Edition changes are terrible.
    - That said, the issue I and most people have is not the SEs themselves, but the fact that the original versions are not available. There should be options to please everyone, and they should be preserved for historical reasons. Also the terrible color timing on the DVDs/BDs.
    - Rebels is turning out to look better than The Clone Wars.
    - Dooku is more interesting and cooler than Darth Maul.
    - The only problems with AOTC are the CGI and the final lightsaber duel.
    - Hayden's acting in ROTS is worse than in AOTC.
    - Darth Maul coming back in The Clone Wars was done perfectly.
    - TESB deserves to be praised as much as it is.
    - Much of the EU is incredibly valuable to the Star Wars mythos and should not be completely written off.
    - Despite that, canon arguments are pointless. Pick what you like.
    - Episode VII ignoring the EU is the best possible choice.
    - The Force Awakens is an absolutely horrible title (I don't know if this is controversial, I just felt like throwing it in).
    - ROTJ is better than ROTS.
    - The prequels are not great, but they are not terrible either.
    - AOTC has the least flaws of the prequels.
    - I've got no problem with The New Jedi Order series.

That's a long list, but now it is known where I stand. :p

Ewok Poet and Iron_lord like this.
  5. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Limits...Star Wars isnt real life, to many it seems like some alternate bible or something. The canon vs non canon stuff, not really my thing. I just like the 2 eras george created, the rest is cool for whoever likes it.

Darth_Nub and Darth Ardyti like this.
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    SW is of varying importance to it's fans for reasons. What is enough for some isn't for others. Doesn't make it wrong.

Thoix Heoro and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Never said it was cushing

8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Glad we agree. :)

9. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

I agree - but while I'm not a fan of the sometimes obsessive stances over canon, I do agree that a certain consistency is worthwhile, if only for those fans for whom it enhances the experience, and I do understand how it does. Given that SW isn't real life, anyone can take or leave canon as he or she wishes (which is basically the Saga forum's policy, BTW - as it's about the films, there's the movies and then there's the rest).

Iron_lord and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. JeeediMoriah

JeeediMoriah Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    My unpopular opinion: I felt that the teaser trailer was rushed and poorly edited. I also felt that The Old Republic cinematic trailer puts it to shame.

Something about the x-wing pilot's helmet design really rubbed me the wrong way too. I disliked the voiceover with the exception of the part where he says "and the light..." and we see the falcon. I also thought the font used in the end title was cheap looking.

Also feel like maybe Idk some of the designs of ships and uniforms should have changed in a timeline that has progressed 30 years! But I'm sure even if JJ just remade the entire OT trilogy it would still make shiploads of money so who cares!!

11. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

Um, but they have changed. The stormtrooper outfits, the x-wings, even the tie-fighters have an updated look to them. They're similar enough to feel familiar, but they have indeed been altered. Heck, even the Millennium Falcon got a new "dish".

My unpopular opinion: I absolutely loathe Leia's metal bikini outfit. I hated seeing such a strong character stripped of her dignity and objectified. Yuck.

12. JeeediMoriah

JeeediMoriah Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2014

How have the tie-fighters changed? They look exactly the same to me.

I can see that the stormtrooper helmets have changed although it looks like the designers just adopted the style from the post-ROTJ era EU and I acknowledge the Ralph McQuarrie tweaks to the x-wings.

It's just that from far away, everything kind of looks the same, same planets, same plot...I mean just the whole empire vs. rebel alliance again? It's been done! I don't want a remake!

13. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

Look at them again, there's plenty of screen caps of that moment with the Falcon. They look different. I'm not a tech person, so I can't get more specific than that. But they look different--essentially the same, but again, tweaked.

14. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The Knights of the Old Republic was a boring game, with a terrible storyline. Abhorrent.

15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I (still) really enjoy Caravan of Courage but hate the sequel The Battle for Endor! I like COC...um...er... (that probably shouldn't be abbreviated) more than the prequels!

Darth Maul is cooler than Vader.

Thrawn would make a better villain than any that JJ etc come up with...

16. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Clone troopers that later turn into cloned stormtroopers is a cool and original concept,
    and there is nothing in the OT that obviously and intentionally contradicts that they still are by then.
    (different height? twins can be different heights, or they cloned other dudes too,
    idle chatter? they're still humans that can be bored and talk about speeders and stuff)

Some people dislike this idea, and some of those people are even in positions where they can subvert it from within and misguidedly create canon that contradicts it (Filoni, you crook!), but I still think that it was always George's idea that the stormies were clones and it was a good idea.
    I would be interested in knowing why some people seem so against it.
    Not to say the Empire wouldn't use conscripts and elite 'ordinary' soldiers too, It's just that there's no use having them in the stormy corps.

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Filoni changed it not only for the show, but because it was going to match up to what's going on in the ST.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    I don't even know where to begin

Even though I'll concede the characters in the OT are more fleshed out and overall more relatable than the ones featured in the PT; they still annoy me to death, with the exception of Luke. All of their bantering just gives me a head-ache and makes them incredibly obnoxious.

As far as story goes, the prequels absolutely destroy the originals. I'm worried JJ is going to return the saga to that type of simplistic storytelling, which gives me great trepidation when it comes to the new trilogy(along with the incredibly corporate sounding title of Episode 7).

Attack of the Clones is pretty much the ideal pulp serial adventure film. I think it's the type of film Lucas set out to make when he first conceived the idea of Star Wars. It's got the zaniness, it's got the old-fashioned romance, it's got amazing action and spectacle, and most importantly it has the most engaging story in the entire saga to this point. It's flawed in the editing department and the score, other than "Across the Stars" is a tad underwhelming, but like with Batman '89, I'm willing to forgive these shortcomings, because the film as a whole beautifully captures the spirit of the genre.

George Lucas is a fantastic director. He has an amazing eye for visuals. It's a real shame these new films won't have much of his fingerprint on them.

Return of the Jedi is a lazy film from a storytelling perspective. A second Death Star was incredibly uninspired.

Jar Jar is actually a lot of fun. Strangely, like most, I use to despise this character. I remember seeing TPM for the first time when I was 12 and after Qui-gon saved his life, I was like, "Okay, that's great; go away now" and then he came back for the rest of the film. I was so in the dark about TPM. I loved Star Wars, but I was spoiler free for TPM - something I'm duplicating for the new trilogy; I haven't even watched the trailer - anyway, I'm getting off subject. Nowadays I just enjoy his humor; it's hard to explain. He's just a fun, goofy idiot. Tonally he works in the film and isn't really a detriment. He's a nice contrast to the regal semi-cold and detached nature of the main cast.

This actually might be a popular opinion, but ironically enough, as an unabashed fan of the prequels I would love for them to disappear from public consciousness. I would love to have them to myself and not have to hear all the constant whining or about the RLM reviews, which people have now substituted for their own opinions(don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware that people disliked the PT before them, but RLM seemed to eliminate any critical thought people did on their own in regards to the films. They let RLM speak for them, instead of actually debating topics.)

I find A New Hope and Empire boring. The Cloud City sequence, however, is one of the most visually pleasing and compelling sequences in the saga. If not for that duel, and of course Yoda, Empire has very little to offer. I just look at the OT and see wasted potential.

Lightsaber colors should be more expansive. I hate the mandate that they must be blue and green for the heroes(with the head-scratching exception of SLJ) and red for the bad guys. It's more visually tantalizing to have a smorgasbord of colors, especially when you have a high concentration of Jedi fighting at once.

Like I said, I'm staying spoiler-free for Star Wars 7,8, and 9, but I absolutely abhor the idea of Stormtroopers or the Empire for that matter existing beyond ROTJ and can't imagine any scenario where that would be okay in the slightest.

Dexter Jettster should have been the Chewbacca of the PT. He's a lot of fun, and him and Obiwan had a wonderful rapport.

Qui-gon not being in ROTS is detrimental to the saga. Really needed the scripted scene to provide closure to the force ghost mystery. It could have been a powerful scene, and Yoda mentioning it to Obiwan seems like an after-thought and reduces the most important revelation in all 6 movies to a minor footnote.

That's all for now.

19. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Jar Jar is the funniest SW character

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The whole franchise is horrible. Puppies are horrible. Kittens are horrible.

-Jedi Joe- and Cryogenic like this.
  21. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

Without a doubt, yes. That's one "special edition" I still long for.

22. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Return of the Jedi feels very disconnected, padded, and rushed. The Jabba the Hutt scenes feel very out of place in terms of the rest of the story and after the Jabba the Hutt sequence, Han and Leia both come off very underutilized. Their roles on Endor, and the Endor sequence in general, feel very unnecessary to the overall plot and could be easily written out if the Death Star scenario wasn't rehashed. The only intriguing plot-line of the movie is Luke's desire to save his father and his personal battle with the darkside of the force. And while rehashed, the battle over Endor is still the best space battle the saga has produced.

That all being said, I really do love the Jabba Palace scenes as I see it as the "Catina Scene" 2.0 from the original movie. All the designs on the creatures, and especially Jabba the Hutt himself, are top notch. From the monstrous rancor and sarlaac, to the dancing twi'lek dancer Oola, Jabba's Palace impacted the way we visualize and ascertain the saga we all know and love. I just wish it had more impact on the film it was in, and that the rest of the film itself added just as much to the saga as Jabba's Palace did.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They did have a Qui Gon scene, but it was awful.

24. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I hate Chewbacca. And wookie's in general they are like the Gungans. (I don't mind them because they brought down grievous)

25. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014

Bits of Jedi are brilliant but you're right that it's flawed. I wish Spielberg had directed because it's hard to imagine him not just nailing it. David Lynch would have been my absolute dream, though... would have loved to have seen his visual interpretation of the Emperor and the throne room. Great mood director.

Thoix Heoro likes this.