main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    The Anakin and Obi-Wan friendship was well portrayed in the PT. Despite some tensions I had no problems believing they deeply cared about each other. The underlying love in their student/master father/son brother/brother three dimensional relationship was something I recognized as surely as the air I breathe. I didn't have to dig at all to see it, that impression just flew effortlessly at me.

Obi-Wan's 'He was a good friend' in ANH was not destroyed for me by the PT-it VALIDATED his statement to the contrary. I don't think a more added scenes with Anakin and Obi-Wan would have magically changed the way their friendship was portrayed.

wobbits, QuangoFett, Seagoat and 4 others like this.
  2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Oh, yes. They were sometimes at each other's throats a little, but I didn't need the director shirking from his duty to tell the story in a more rounded, mature way, or throwing in tons of buddy-buddy stuff, to beat me over the head with the idea that they were friends. It as, as you said, a three-dimensional relationship, and one presented very matter-of-factly, and that is something I much admire about all the relationships in the PT, personally.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It's not about 'beating over the head' and I think many see just fine the relationship is layered and mufti-demensional . It simply isn't readily clear they are 'friends' to everyone in the PT. Like me.

No, more O & A scenes wouldn't guarantee any better result but the potential is possible. Nothing to do with 'magic'.

4. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I knew that that would provoke a defensive response. "Friendship" is a multi-layered concept. I was writing about a particular conception that I'm glad Lucas chose not to unduly emphasize.

I think the more underlying point -- though the other poster can clarify -- is that Lucas had something different in mind to what some fans wanted, and no matter how many scenes you add, you can't change the core of their relationship to fit a different template.

5. Lord Gaos

Lord Gaos Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 24, 2014
    - Lucas did NOT destroy my childhood by "updating" the Original Trilogy. Movies I saw , BTW, in theaters when they were first released in '77, '80 & '83.
    (I am 43 years old)
    - I actually enjoy most of the changes (my only real issue is HAN SHOT FIRST and I LOATHE Jedi Rocks)
    - I have no problem with Hayden's Force Ghost and do like the way it kind of ties the trilogies together
    - I love ALL six movies
    - There are small parts that I find slow and fast-forward through in all the movies as I think they ALL have some (albeit minor) issues, not just the first three.
    - If I was totally honest with myself, Empire would rank third if I rank them from favorite to least favorite (ANH is first, always will be with Empire falling just shy of RotS)

Darth Schlotkin and ezekiel22x like this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Slave I is an ugly ship and it looks stoopid.

7. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    On the topic of ships, I think the Falcon is overrated

I love the ship, I'd definitely take a ride in it (assuming it isn't having problems like in TESB) but I just don't understand the big deal behind it

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The character of it. Having it in all 3 OT movies makes it feel like home. Also its just like cars back here. Cars break down or have issues just like the Falcon.
    When Han was getting the Falcon started during the escape from Hoth and he it and it started reminds me of technology these days. Who hasn't their tv at least once?

Sarge and Lord Gaos like this.
  9. Darth Maaliss

Darth Maaliss Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 19, 2014
    On the subject of ships....

TiE Fighters over X-Wings

10. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I prefer X-Wings but I respect one that sticks to their views no matter the trends of fandom. :)

Darth Maaliss likes this.
  11. Darth Maaliss

Dec 19, 2014
    Their sound is awesome, plus I had the Darth Vader TiE Fighter as a kid while my brother had Luke's Snowspeeder. :)

12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Nice. :) Cushy has wanted a mini realistic model of Red 3's X-Wing because Biggs was my fave character a long time.

13. Darth Maaliss

Dec 19, 2014
    Just posted on the Lightsabre thread for TFA and thought I'd post this unpopular opinion here.

There wasn't enough Lightsbare action in the OT. Infact, if Yoda @ 950+ can leap about etc in fighting Palpatine and Dooku, I'm sure ObiWab could have managed a bit better against Vader in ANH. (Ps I love Alec Guinness).

14. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I prefer the breezy character development of the films. I like having the Skywalker/Kenobi relationship defined with brevity. Anything more is unnecessary in Star Wars.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    lets see
    I like Jar Jar
    I dont mind any of the changes
    I would rather have the original theatrical version not realized of the OT.

16. Darth Maaliss

Dec 19, 2014
    Jedi Knight Fett (nice mental image comes to mind with your nom de plume. Lightsabre + Mandalorian armour + Bounty Hunter + Jedi/Sith = Win :p )

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

You convinced me to change it back.

18. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2013
    Exactly. Nowadays the only 'friendship' expressions that seem to get on-screen are excessively sentimental 'touchy-touchy-feely'. We have to hear characters with no 'friendship chemistry' stating that they are friends, constantly hugging and professing their loyalties to the moon rather than having a good presentation of strawberries and oranges meshing. A common modern friendship cop-out from writers is having the leads bond over their shared experience rather than how well they can 'complete' the other or how natural are their interactions. How it goes is that way: A-'I have suffered a loss' B-I have suffered a loss too! *kisses* A-'My loss is far bigger than yours!' B-'NO, MY loss is bigger than YOURS!' *clashes for X minutes* A & B now bond over their losses as if they are the only people in the universe having gone through the same thing. Slightly hyperbolic representation, but that's how fake most superhero/sci-fi/etc friendships appear to me. I could not buy the Guardians of the Galaxy or Abrams' Star Trek friendships. Sadly, Abrams has(according to rumors) stated Force Awakens will be about 'loss and friendship', so I am fully expecting yet another shallow bonding between Rey,Finn and Poe.

This is precisely what I was saying. I often hear that the biggest problem in the Obi-Wan and Anakin friendship is the tensions between them, yet the solution proposed is some more scenes of Anakin-Obi-Wan bantering. I just don't see how more 'joking around' scenes would erase the existing tensions? There was after all scenes of bantering present in the PT, and they did not erase the tensions so why the addition of more would change(suddenly=magically) the deep core of their relationship? Unless what is actually suggested would be to completely change their core, but then they wouldn't be Anakin and Obi-Wan then, but (from what I can gather), Han2 + Luke2. Because if you take out Anakin's inner turmoil & prickliness and Obi-Wan's nagging, Han+Luke is basically what you would get(again). Or am I just missing something really(apparently) obvious to most?

19. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    TESB is my least favorite Star Wars film :eek: .

ezekiel22x and Team Padme like this.
  20. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

I think it's a bit more "master and apprentice" in the PT than was perhaps suggested in the OT by Obi-Wan's warm references to being 'good friends', i.e. the relative equals as originally intended. One can say that there is a friendship there nevertheless - and there is - but it doesn't quite fit with the bittersweet moment in SW/ANH when Obi-Wan smiles sadly and says, "and he was a good friend".

TCW aside (which develops this friendship far more deeply) Anakin wasn't a particularly good friend to Obi-Wan from what we saw in the films, he was a pain in the arse. A talented, brilliant student, and probably a somewhat rewarding experience for Obi-Wan until he, well, you know - but he was still his apprentice, and a difficult one. Talking back, disobeying orders, and even trash-talking his master to outsiders behind his back. More like a difficult child, or younger brother, than the comrade suggested in SW/ANH and ROTJ. Anakin's own behaviour and comments about Obi-Wan in the PT reinforce this view of a more difficult and disparate relationship.
    It fits in well with Anakin's fall to the Dark Side, and the reasons are thoroughly established by what we see in TPM and even hear in ROTJ - but unfortunately, it's yet another element of Obi-Wan's now-notorious recollections from SW/ANH that simply don't match the rest of the story.

"From a certain point of view", of course...

Iron_lord and Darth Maaliss like this.
  21. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    When you get older, you will find time softens some memories.

22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I actually like Daala, more in Fate of the Jedi than her early appearances.

23. Darth_BDO

Darth_BDO Jedi Padawan

Jan 15, 2015
    The Jedi are just as evil as the Sith. The Sith are just more upfront about it.

wobbits and Darth Maaliss like this.
  24. Lord Gaos

Nov 24, 2014
    Like X 1000
    The sound effects of Star Wars are one of the many things that sets these films apart for me and while I do love me some X-Wings, the TIE fighters are so much cooler because of the sound they make. Ironic considering you wouldn't actually hear anything unless they're flying in atmosphere....LOL

25. Lord Gaos

Nov 24, 2014
    Oh, I almost forgot...another unpopular opinion.

Boba Fett, whilst I'm sure an awesome bounty hunter, is by far the most over-rated character in the saga and, dare I say, in the history of cinema. OK maybe the last bit is a tad much but seriously, I do no get all the hype. He is probably one of my least favorite characters. I am really hoping that one of the new stand-alone films is NOT exclusively about Boba Fett because it may be the first Star Wars movie I do not see in theaters.