main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    If they felt it would bring about peace

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Personally I think Jello said it best, regarding the "Compared to the galaxy's population that of Alderaan is a drop in the ocean" argument:

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    And you don't get it. The Empire was formed because Palpatine started a war so that he could bring about his peace. His way, not the will of the people. There was peace before Palpatine came about. His definition of peace is to enslave people so that they don't do anything other than what he says they should do. That's not peace. That's slavery. That's tyranny.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    New "Unpopular Opinion" - Karen Miller, even when writing slightly "hurt/comfort-fic-ish" stories, is still a very good writer.

5. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Excuse me?

You're in no position to tell me what I do or don't understand.

Let's just drop this before it devolves any further, shall we? This conversation really belongs in a thread of its own

6. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    unpopular opinion maybe

Leia is rude
    Luke is more interesting than Han Solo and Leia
    Wedge is over rated

7. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    People must be blind if they don´t see how careful, well-thought-out and moderate Episodes I, II and III are in their use of both CGI and practical effects.

8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It's not necessarily blindness, no but for many it be unawareness. We aren't all wired the same after all. :)

smoothkaz likes this.
  9. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    It IS blindness.

10. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    It's perception

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  11. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    From a certain point of view...

12. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Ahsoka Tano is the best female character in all of Star Wars (canon-wise).

Vizzy91 and darkspine10 like this.
  13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    For the Legends Tarkin, his ruthlessness was seen as early as the Ghorman (sp?) massacre when he landed a ship on top of protesters. I wonder how ruthless Tarkin currently is, apart from his ordering Alderaan's destruction, of course.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wilhuff_Tarkin/Canon

Early military career

Tarkin joined the Outland Regions Security Force, a force dedicated to protecting Eriadu and the Greater Seswenna sector in the absence of a Republic military. As part of this organization, he made a name for himself by outwitting and brutally suppressing a group of pirates known as Q'ana's Marauders. After decoding the pattern in the pirate leader Q'anah's attacks, Tarkin captured her ship, launching her and her crew on a slow course into a sun. The Outland ships broadcast the suffering of Q'anah's crew on her group's comm network, and destroyed any ships that came to her rescue.

Rise of the Empire

In the early days of the Empire, Imperial forces targeted former Separatist worlds in order to pacify any remnants of Separatist rebellion. With Tarkin being assigned to make an example of Antar 4, he made no attempt to sort Separatists from loyalists when he carried out mass arrests, executions, and massacres. When word broke out the media dubbed the event as the Antar Atrocity. To distance Tarkin from the controversial event, the Emperor assigned him to pacification operations in the Western Reaches, before ultimately assigning him to oversee the construction of the Death Star from Sentinel Base.

15. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Okay, thanks. Different crimes, same brutal mindset.

SithLordPat and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Same typical narrow presentation, figures. :p

Random Comments likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Keep in mind that Luceno (writer of Tarkin, where those scenes take place) specifically doesn't see Tarkin as having "full-bore psychopathy":

Luceno also had some interesting things to say in a Star Wars Insider 153 interview.
    A few of the more notable of the questions answered:

Q: How does Tarkin differ from the other main villains in the Star Wars pantheon?
    A: Tarkin's skills don't derive from the Force, but from the power of his intellect and his long years of military indoctrination. His sense of loyalty is not undermined by naked ambition. His seeming heartlessness is rooted in the belief that order is preferable to chaos, and that laws are what separate true sentients from beasts. For Tarkin, morality is situational, and compassion is little more than misguided sentiment.

Q: When writing the novel, what surprised you about Tarkin's character?
    A: Tarkin kept demonstrating his analytical abilities and tactical skills. He's anything but playful, but he enjoys a good joke or an inspired prank. He is an oligarch of the most extreme sort, and believes that life is, at its core, violent and predatory.

Q: A New Hope portrays Tarkin as a prim and polished technocrat who hides a nature so savage that he feels no guilt when it comes to annihilating whole planets. What from his background did you imagine made him so ruthless?
    A: The question goes to the heart of the novel. Tarkin's world view is shaped by a series of challenges and what amount to initiations that commence when he is eleven years old. To a degree - in that many of the trials are imposed on him - he is "created" to be the callous commander that he eventually becomes.

Q: While reading the novel, one can't help but hear echoes of Tarkin's famous line from the first film: "Fear will keep the local systems in line. Fear of this battle station." Why does Tarkin believe fear is the supreme means of control?
    A: Even with the military might the Empire has amassed, its ships and forces can't be everywhere. Fear, then - of brutal reprisal - substitutes for force. This is Tarkin's true purpose in destroying the planet Alderaan: the far-flung worlds need to be on notice that none enjoy special privilege; that none are indispensable. Strict adherence to the dictates of the Empire is all that matters. Stray at your own peril.

Q: When tasked to pen a novel about one of the galaxy's cruelest villains - a man who ordered planetary genocide without hesitation - there is a a danger of making such an evil man seem sympathetic. How did you strike the right balance?
    A: I've found that the only way to do this - with Tarkin, Vader, the Emperor, or Darth Plagueis - is by creating a grayscale background against which events swirl, and about which the narrator is largely nonjudgmental - almost scientific in his dispassion.

18. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I've seen those before thanks, IL.

19. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    Human perception is distorted by preconceived ideas much more than we realize. It's the placebo effect. All people here is that the PT is all CGI, no practical effects, so since everyone says it, they don't see any reason for it to be wrong and thus their brain genuinely doesn't see the practical effects. It's the same as when people are given blind tests of lossless audio vs MP3s. When told the MP3s are lossless, or vice versa, they thought it sounded better.

I suppose that could be considered blindless, but it's common to most if not all people.

Iron_lord and L110 like this.
  20. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Well, watching the PT again, I noticed that a lot of the CGI is much more distracting than when I was younger. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with Blu-Ray quality...

smoothkaz likes this.
  21. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Darth Vader ( as a villain ) is overrated . Many people say that he's the main villain while it's clearly Darth Sidious .​
    Hoth as a planet isn't more interesting than any other planet in the Saga .​

22. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Speaking of planets....

Utapau is a very interesting planet and I wish we could have seen more of it. I love the designs of the architecture and the topography of the planet itself

23. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I wish the Utapau arc had been completed. :(

24. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    What was left out? Are you referring to TCW? Just wondering.

25. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I was referring to TCW. Nothing was left out, but the animation was not completed. Everything else, the voice acting, the sound effects, the designs, the story, wer complete. The music, while it may have had new pieces, I noticed some reusing of tracks from older episodes. Not that that's too much of a problem.