main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    Unpopular opinions:
    -I like ROTJ the best out of all the films. I'm not exactly sure why everyone considers it the weakest of all films. I admit the ewoks beating the stormtroopers was bad ( I wish it would have been wookies instead), but the rest of the movie is good.
    -Luke is my favorite character.
    -I like the Clone Wars Anakin better than the PT Anakin. Anakin's turn to the dark side never made much sense to me until I saw TCW.

2. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I think Durge is a underrated character.

He's not really a complex villain, but he does come across as one the most threatening non-force users. He's also few non-force users that can kill jedi easily, due for how difficult it is to kill him and many years of experience.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  3. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Samnz, Saga Explorer and darskpine10 like this.
  4. Darth Azerous

Darth Azerous Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2015
    My unpopular opinion: I don't mind the prequels. Come at me bro! :cool:

5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    You'll find around here that this is far from an unpopular opinion

Oh, Samnz , looks like you've got another fan

Saga Explorer and Samnz like this.
  6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I've never had a problem with the line, "I don't like sand. It's coarse, and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere." I grew up in a place with lots of sand, and I've never liked it, and the same way that I emotionally connect to Luke during the binary sunset scene, that feeling of longing to be somewhere else, I can understand where Anakin is coming from. Obviously it doesn't emotionally compare to the binary sunset scene, and it's not really meant to, but still, I understand how Anakin feels. Attack of the Clones is my least favorite film in the series, it's the only one I don't really like, but that one line always struck me as kind of an odd thing to nitpick.

7. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Not sure if this counts but I'm not that excited for Rouge Squadron.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Lucky for you, there is no Rouge Squadron.

Rogue, on the other hand...

9. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    I'm more excited for Rogue One than The Force Awakens

10. Darth Ukendt

Darth Ukendt Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2015
    Jar Jar Binks is one of the greatest characters in the saga.

Saga Explorer and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    The Clone Wars movie does not deserve to be rated at only 18% on the utterly useless Rotten Tomatoes site.

12. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012

At least a 19% come now.

13. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Fixed that for you.

It doesn't break new ground when it comes to storytelling, but it deserves more appreciation and a vastly higher rating for a number of reasons, chief among them being that it introduced us to the best new addition to the Star Wars character pantheon ever in Ahsoka Tano.

14. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013

I quite liked the Clone Wars film. It introduced us to Ahsoka but it was still a nice adventure film set in the SW universe.

Vizzy91 likes this.
  15. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Kevin Kiner's music is underrated.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  16. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002

Fixed that for you. :)

17. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I don't think AOTC is that bad of a movie.

This is coming from someone who has AOTC on the bottom of his star wars film list. Mainly for the love scenes and some cringe worthy dialog. However, I realized if you remove the love scenes its a fairly enjoyable star wars film. Out of all the prequels this one might be the one that's been growing on me the most. I don't even mind the Dexter Jettster and Droid Factory scenes despite being hated by some.

Cryogenic likes this.
  18. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Few points of the unpopular kind:

- Luke should have never been allowed to fly an X Wing and Snowspeeder during those battles. The fact that he is assigned his own aircraft, wears a uniform, and gains rank (proven by him giving orders to other pilots) speaks more about the decrepit state of the Rebel military than it does about Luke's skill as a pilot and soldier. Okay, so let him go do his ninja Jedi training with the galaxy dojo. But for somebody to become an essential component of formal Rebel military operations in such a short time like that, from being a small time farm boy on Tattooine, without having any formal military training, actual service, involvement in previous operations, and movement up in ranks, just because a few of his friends vouched for him, and because his then almost girlfriend princess makes it so, after which he is then allowed to take that aircraft as his own personal vehicle across the galaxy, again, is really cause to question the capabilities, professionalism, and overall legitimacy of the Rebellion. I mean at that point, Luke is no more than a mercenary soldier hired by the Rebellion to partake in operations alongside the actual military and granted field promotions as an executive order issued by Princess Leia.

- I don't like Carrie Fisher's acting in ANH. She is too snappy and quick with her tongue. She does not have the demeanor and characteristics of a seasoned galactic diplomat, but more the attitude and behavior of an entitled spoiled bratty teenager. She's arrogant with Vader and Tarkin. There's guys coming to rescue her and she starts chewing them out over how they're doing it. She's known a guy for an hour and is already kissing him. She entrusts a criminal smuggler to become a member of her military and gets mad at him when he doesn't, who she then gives a big shiny medal to at the end. She has the nerve to give the commands and the briefing to the Rebel pilots who will be conducting the assault on the Death Star, instead of allowing the appropriate Rebel officer to do that. But again, going back to my first point, could that also be a reflection of the poor manner in which Rebel military operations are conducted? Either way, Leia really annoys me in ANH.

- I am a huge fan of TPM and the PT altogether, not a hater at all. However, the scene where Anakin flies the Naboo Starfighter in that final battle sequence of the TPM looks like something straight out of a kid's movie and makes me cringe to watch and know that this is how the climactic sequence of the movie ends. To me, this scene, more than Jar Jar (who I am totally fine with), is Lucas' firm attempt at directly trying to appeal to kids. No other reason. Because at this point, Anakin had already been established as being special and his piloting skills already proven from the pod race. Anakin being the final hero like that was totally unnecessary and an insult to the other pilots involved in that operation that this kid can naively and comically pilot this craft and win the battle for everybody.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The appropriate Rebel officer did give the briefing - Dodonna:

"You're required to manoeuvre straight down this trench and skim the surface to this point..."

And as for Luke "giving orders to the other pilots" - I always saw that as simply him taking charge in a crisis when nobody else had the initiative to.

20. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

That is sort of the point though, isn't it?

Rellum Kire and Sarge like this.
  21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the TESB comic (based on, I think, a deleted scene) Leia is decidedly grumpy when Luke brings up the possibility of him going off for a while:

C-3PO: "Master Luke! It's so good to see you functional again!"
    Luke: "Leia ... wait! ... W-what would you think if ... I went away for a while? To another system ... a place called Dagobah ... I've got to --"
    Leia: "What? That's just fine! First Han, now you! I could get more loyalty if I recruited some of those ice creatures we've trapped!"
    Han: "Ah! She's being charming again. Hi, kid! You look strong enough to wrestle a gundark!"

22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    @Rellum Kire Well said indeed, sir! =D= Agreed on all points but particularly regarding Leia in SW. It's refreshing to see someone else annoyed with her and her inappropriate behaviour to basically everybody. Thank you for including Vader and Tarkin. Most here seem to applaud it and I simply do not understand why. It's poor form.

Rellum Kire likes this.
  23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    For some. For others, it's symbolic of her contempt for everything evil in the Empire.

One should be cautious before condemning her behaviour as poor form. It's the same logic as being cautious before condemning Tarkin's behaviour as ruthless.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    As you say for *some* not me and I am glad I am not alone in condemning poor form. I am not certain if you're implying I don't condemn Tarkin's very few bad acts via the film but if you are, you're mistaken.

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    You've said a vast number of times that you don't condemn anyone as people - only certain behaviours- and even then, that they might in fact not be all that bad if they're necessary to "stop the Rebels".

Maybe you could apply the same logic to Leia as you do to Tarkin?