main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I wouldn't like it. I like seeing the relationship between force-sensitives and muggles.

2. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Chris Lee as The Emperor in the OT. Hmm, you could be on to something there!

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Some jurisdictions, it isn't black and white.

Some places, "self defence" is viable, but if the police feel like it, they can decide you used "unreasonable force" - especially for martial artists or boxers (for whom a single punch to stop a crim, might actually take 'em out).

But we are getting away from the thread subject: The Rebel Alliance was not a legitimate force, though it may have been in some places around the galaxy, where various planets joined it.

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    So because they don't follow the rules of military conduct, the Alliance is a mess? Luke being given command bothers you, but not Han and Lando who had a higher rank than Luke?

Padme was a diplomat. Leia was a soldier.

Tarkin, Vader and Palpatine would disagree.
    No rebellion is legitimately authorized. It's been that way for years. They only become that way after the fact.

5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Darth Simister, what you said, was what I was trying to explain to Rellum.

6. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Given my opinion about Luke in this context, my opinion of Han and Lando also being granted rank is obvious to the point I didn't even find it worth mentioning.

And as I said, I could see the Alliance not strictly following rules of military conduct by being open to volunteers, I could even see the possibility that one of these volunteers could eventually rise up and be in a position of rank. But so soon after Luke joined them did be become essentially the most crucial element of their pilot corps and was able to give commands to other pilots, which indeed makes me question just how formidable of a fighting force they are. Because in any respectable legitimate military that would simply just not happen, no matter how good that particular volunteer soldier is.

If Leia was a soldier than she still should have acted more diplomatically than like a spoiled brat.

While perhaps not entirely legitimate in the manner that nations have standing armies in today's world, being that there were mercenary elements within the Rebel Alliance, the majority of it was still comprised of legitimate governmental, official, whatever you want to call it elements to consider it so, as opposed to say an insurgency like we have also seen in today's world.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    My bold, I don't remember that, can you be a bit more specific?

Can you give examples?

My bold, can you give examples? I am not certain what you talk about

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Luke blowing up the Death Star
    Leia chewing out Han and Luke
    Mercenary elements being guys like Luke and Han (mercenary as a description, not in the literal sense)
    Official government being the Royal Award Ceremony

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How do that make him "essentially the most crucial element of their pilot corps"?
    Why do that make her act as a spoiled brat?

Are we talking about the medal presentation ceremony at the end of A new hope? If so: huh, I did not know it was called Royal Award Ceremony.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm done with the nitpicking. Just read my previous posts on this thread. This is a thread for unpopular opinions, there are no objectively right or wrong ones and its all based on one's own individual perspective.

11. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    This is a thread for unpopular opinions, there are no objectively right or wrong ones and its all based on one's own individual perspective.
    ----------

got to admit I was thinking this too :p

it's turned into "you're wrong to have this unpopular opinion" which to say the least is ironic to debate about.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am not trying to nitpick or saying that your opinions are wrong, I am just trying know what you mean. And the simplest way of doing that is to ask questions, so that is what I do. [face_peace]

13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I find it very odd that most here seem to find it inconceivable that some see Leia as bratty, particularly in SW.

*Edited for clarity.

Rellum Kire likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I can understand bratty but I have problem grasping the "spoiled" part[face_dunno]

15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Likely linked reasons of the fact she shows Tarkin and Vader *zero* manners.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's spoiled? I thought the term for that kind of manner was spirited, or something similar

17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    People don't always associate the same term the same way, Gamiel.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I wouldn't be polite to Tarkin or Vader either.

19. obiwopkenobi62

obiwopkenobi62 Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2015
    Here's an unpopular opinion I usually bring up at work about world events, that could definitely apply here. I say the following because I'm retired Air Force and have seen a lot over the years. During a war both sides think they are the good guys. It really just depends which side you are on. What if the Empire are the good guys and the rebels are the bad guys? If you look at world history there are many times where there were rebellions. Think of George Washington. By today's standards he would actually be considered a terrorist. In Star Wars even though the Rebellion thought of themselves as the good guys they did kill many people who were not so called bad guys.

DarthIshyZ and Tommytom like this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Hmmm...to me, if you participated in an one-sided war or a controversial bombardment, you're a terrorist and I don't care if the international community supported it. Same goes for GFFA.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Tommytom

Tommytom Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    Unpopular opinion: I enjoyed the last bits of the first Force Unleashed story. Thought it was decent.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There's three years between ANH and TESB. In that interim, Luke had enough time to earn his rank of Commander and to become Rogue Leader. There were many missions wherein Luke proved himself over and over. Han had done the same with his tenure in the Alliance between the first two films. Given his experience and his valor in keeping Leia safe, he had earned his rank. Also, take note that Leia doesn't think that anyone was crazy enough to lead the strike team which is why she's surprised to find out that it was Han. Likewise, Han is surprised that Lando was given a promotion and he himself feels a bit surprised at that.

Why would Leia act diplomatically when she's being held captive and will be tortured and executed for her crimes? Why would she be pleasant? Many soldiers that have been captured have behaved far worse than she has.

Lucas based the conflict on historic wars such as the American Revolution, the American Civil War, the Vietnam War, the various conflicts within Rome and even the Napoleonic Wars.

He was the only one left. Everyone else was dead, that's why there were only about three fighters leaving with the Falcon. Biggs trusted Luke and so did Wedge.

Because they're a couple of **** ups who didn't have a plan. Even Han admits as much.

LUKE: "There isn't any other way out."

HAN: "I can't hold them off forever! Now what?"

LEIA: "This is some rescue. When you came in here, didn't you have a plan for getting out?"

HAN: "He's the brains, sweetheart."

LUKE: "Well, I didn't."

To Leia it was like dealing with the Marx brothers. How that makes her a brat is beyond me, considering Han also trashes Luke.

Han was the mercenary. Luke was Obi-wan's Padawan Learner who was doing it because it was the right thing. And mind you, Han changes his tune.

LEIA: "Hey, I knew there was more to you than money."

What?

Ewok Poet and Iron_lord like this.
  23. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    The implications behind it. There being a Royal Award Ceremony put on by governing officials and with a standing army in attendance indicates the presence of an official governmental type body behind the Rebel Alliance.

24. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Just saw something funny. I'm watching Lego Star Wars: Yoda Chronicles and they made a reference to Leia's attitude. Basically they're running from an Imperial assault, Leia is chewing them out again, Han turns and says "Ya know you really should be nicer to people who are trying to save you!" I thought it was funny and a pretty specific reference.

25. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I love Lego Star Wars: Yoda Chronicles!

the only thing "star wars tv" I can abide to watch

was that just another unpopular opinion I just admitted? [face_whistling]

Emperor Ferus and MotivateR5D4 like this.