main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    unpopular opinion:

Jedi use their lightsaber far too often in the PT,

they hear a noise a whip it out most of the time.

2. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    I love Hayden and Natalie and Ewan, I would love to see them come back for an Anthology film so we can see Anakin and Obi-Wan's friendship more, we didn't get to see enough of that in the films, The Clone Wars is something I'm not including, I'm basing it on people who just saw the movies and that's it.

If they had some better dialogue they would have done even better in the movies!

3. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004

Nothing against the PT, but I'd actually argue the opposite. Yoda in 1-3 is wise, but he also upholds the too-rigid dogma's of the Jedi Order. (I'm not anti-Jedi, but it seems pretty clear that they needed to be more flexible). It could (and has) been argued that Yoda was too aggressive in AotC's and RotS, with leading the clones into battle without really looking into how/why the clones were just suddenly available (I know there are answers to this, but it could still be argued that the Jedi don't investigate enough). He is also perhaps too proud and confident himself--his line in AotC's about how many Jedi are displaying this seems ironic, as I believe he also falls in this category.

In the OT, Yoda appears more in-tune with life and the force, he is more other-worldly and spiritual. PT Yoda is a blend of a diplomat, school headmaster, and ninja. OT Yoda is, although perhaps a little more jaded, more like a yogi, a spiritual leader (sort of like a prophet).

HevyDevy, Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

He learned the hard way that "wars don't make one great."

jc1138 likes this.
  5. NorseSith

NorseSith Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2015
    Unpopular opinion: I actually like III better than IV... Other than that: Boba Fett is greatly overrated.

Ewok Poet and WookiesCookies30 like this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Yeah, the sound of an exploding ship wouldn't be cause for igniting their Lightsabers in defense of their lives. What do you want them to do, use harsh language.

7. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    who said anything about an exploding ship??

anyway to use your example as a point, what exactly is activating your lightsaber gonna do if you hear an explosion?

in fact using harsh language (cursing) would probably be the first thing you'd do, so your analogy didn't quite work.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, that was a noise that caused them to draw their Lightsabers.

Because they're expecting the Battle Droids that were walking around the hangar and the corridors from rushing them.

[​IMG]

I'm referring to fighting.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  9. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't know why everyone makes a big deal about Anakin's "I hate sand" line.

I've always thought it was more of a character study. Anakin comes from this harsh, dry world and background while Padme comes from this beautiful and privileged world.

Also if you notice, he's using it as an excuse to touch her.

10. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    For me the "I hate sand" line pulled me out of the moment. I was no longer thinking, "Anakin Skwalker said that" and I was thinking "George why did you write that?!"

But that's just me.

11. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I have no idea what is an unpopular opinion because I think most fans love the prequels, so when people say things like that I just think they feel guilty for the media's idea that we all hated them.

I suppose mine that I know is unpopular is I don't like Chewbacca any more than Jar Jar. I think they're both pretty annoying and useless. They are there, and they are sidekicks, but I don't care about either. I think Chewbacca is hugely overrated. Yeah, he's a better fighter and he doesn't do the harm that Jar Jar does to "the good guys," but he's still not a character I think is that useful. He's just sort of there.

darskpine10 likes this.
  12. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004

Someone who agree's with you about Chewie: Roger Ebert.
    Someone who doesn't: Me.

(To each their own, however!)

13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Aesthetically I find Gungans more interesting than Wookiees.

Ewok Poet and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  14. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I am more interested in Gungans than Wookies too.
    Not all Gungans are idiots.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  15. WookiesCookies30

WookiesCookies30 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2015
    I feel like Han Solo is over rated. I mean I understand why he is so popular; he's the snarky bad boy that has all the jokes but I just never really bought into it I guess

16. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I agree. I like Captain Tarpals. I like him in TPM and in TCW. He's funny when he's critiquing Jar Jar and trying to save his posterior. He showed how brave he is in TCW.

17. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    Jar Jar Binks is a funnier character then Mr. Plinket.

18. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    He's certainly far less annoying.

19. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

I agree. Although I'm a critic of some of Lucas's decisions regarding the prequels, I'm not as harsh a critic as I used to be. Anyhow, the Plinkett character does make some good points, but I'm uncomfortable with the presentation. I know he wanted to pretend to be a serial killer and misogynist to get people's attention for the videos, but that seems a bit derivative. Plus, it offends and disgusts some people, and who can blame them? There is at least one version of his reviews without the killer/woman-hating aspects of it that squarely critique the prequels, and that censored version is still entertaining and interesting. Still kinda gonzo without being too creepy. Ya know?

Anyhow, yes. I think that Jar Jar is quite funny for children in the prequels. He's written more for older teens and young adults in TCW. Overall, as character, Jar Jar is all right. Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Padme, and everyone else was so darn serious in TPM that you needed someone that funny to bring some levity. Qui-Gon and the others are rarely dry or sarcastic. (Goes back to my usual argument that movie characters come off as more intelligent and better written in EU material than in the films.) And the idea of Palpatine tricking Jar Jar into giving him emergency powers is a good idea. It just wasn't executed well, and Padme never expresses disappointment with him over misrepresenting her intentions...out of his naivete. I can actually see Jar Jar being duped into being one of the loyal supermajority to Palpatine post-ROTS, but perhaps even he, the post-TCW Jar Jar, might figure that being loyal to the Empire would get him money and women on the side. We saw a little bit of those naughtier and shadier aspects of him in TCW, as well as the noble and loving parts of his personality. He's a mixed bag like anyone else, just a very physically and politically clumsy one.

Well, now back to the topic of unpopular opinions. I'd say that I feel the Special Edition change I like the most is changing the Sarlacc's appearance. I don't mind the beak or tentacles. Yes, there were some mistakes made with the SE and DVD changes, but there were quite a few improvements, as well. This is why I say I'm neither a Lucas-basher nor a Lucas-gusher. I'm in the middle. Some of the changes and oddball ideas of Lucas actually are pretty or really good. He's not always trying to dumb things down and make things child-friendly. I think he works best as collaborator: one of many writers or one of my editors working on a story. That's how it was with TESB, and that's how it was with TCW IMO.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120928215348/starwars/images/a/a9/BobaFett_Sarlaac.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0t71mkA.jpg

I also would say that I liked the 1997 Jabba CGI that talked to Han better than the 2004 version. Sounds weird, but I do. The 1997 CGI rendering was more like the original Jabba puppet, and it was good was for late 1990s movies. The 2004 version looks more like the TPM Jabba than ROTJ Jabba, but it's not as good as either. (Part of the reason the CGI for the classic and prequel films isn't always good is because Lucas just can't see that some of it looks a little fake or less convincing to the rest of us. Don't hate on him for not being able to see well. He's doing it for himself more than for the audience. TPM is the only SW film where all the CGI is convincing and good.) However, I definitely would take Jedi Rocks out of ROTJ if I could. I don't hate the song. If I were isolated on a soundtrack for kids, that would be okay, but it is inferior to the moody song it replaced. It jinxes the scene and the atmosphere of Jabba's palace. But feel free to say if you like that song in the film itself. That would be an unpopular Star Wars opinion. Lol.

Finally, I'd say I have no problem with the Imperial officers having British accents, with Jar Jar having a Caribbean accent, with Watto having an Arabic accent, or with the Neimoidians having Thai/Asian accents. I do impressions of Watto to the Muslims at Zonga's in North Richland Hills, and they think it's amusing and accurate. I've done impressions of Nute Gunray and Rune Haako for my Vietnamese and Lao friends around town, and they like it. They think it sounds hilarious. I'll say it. I don't think Lucas is racist! I think he was just trying to make the galaxy have eclectic accents. Most unpopular opinion yet: I like Nute Gunray. Yeah, he's not as bright in the prequels nor creepy as he can be sometimes in Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter and TCW. But he's hilarious. It's fun to mock a coward like that who could used by Sidious repeatedly. I think he's a corporatist tool--a tool!

Sarge likes this.
  20. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Wut. Yoda is way wiser in the OT

21. Jangounchained1990

May 31, 2015
    Ever noticed how Gunrey is the only character who changes in these film while still remaining a villain?

Ewok Poet and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  22. mes520

Nov 3, 2012

What do you mean? Appearance? His character?

23. Jangounchained1990

May 31, 2015
    Character. Originally he just wants power and money but afterwards he develops this personal hatred towards the queen.

SateleNovelist11 and mes520 like this.
  24. mes520

Nov 3, 2012

Agreed.

Though I think all the Separatists wanted money/had some sort of agenda in AOTC and were ready for the war to be over by ROTS.

25. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    All of the Separatist leaders (of the mega corporations) had their own greed for money and power, but they also had different political aspirations and agendas. It's only when you get to the Separatist Parliament and the common people in the CIS that you find that they were all not that different from the Republic.

And I agree. Nute does has character development. It ain't anything deep, but at his age, people don't change that much. They sometimes get worse.