main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Hilal

Hilal Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 2, 2015
    [quote="TheMoldyCrow, post: 52832462, member: 1405071
    • General Grievous is an incredibly pointless character.
    [/quote]
    Like a lot of ep. III, Grievous is more a piece of art than important to the story
    Obi-Wan walks away from the burning body of Grievous, foreshadowing him walking away from the burning body of Anakin

2. Hilal

Nov 2, 2015
    I joined 2 days ago, can an experienced member tell me why my post was messed up there?

3. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013

I think it's because the end part of the bracket ( ] ) was missing from the first line of the quoted material

Edit: and welcome to the JCF!:)

Dandelo likes this.
  4. GremlinOfTheOrder

GremlinOfTheOrder Jedi Padawan

Oct 22, 2015
    Return of the Jedi is the best of the saga. Not only that, I think a vast majority of the hate it gets is pure and simple bandwagon revisionism for Lucas and PT haters.

No, I'm not saying that everyone who dislikes it is doing for insincere reasons-but I do feel a LOT of them are.

xezene, Sarge and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree with you about ROTJ, but let's steer clear of speculating why other people might not.

6. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I think Attack of the Clones is the best movie of the PT.

7. Hilal

Nov 2, 2015
    I think Empire is way overrated. If LOTR is "a movie about walking" then V is "a movie about flying." Just a big game of chase for two hours, running from Vader, Vader catching up, then some of them escape anyway.

-NaTaLie- and Slicer87 like this.
  8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    - Geonosis is a cool planet.
    - Grevious has a cool appearance and voice.

9. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    *peeks out of his flame war resistent fortress for a second*

I think A New Hope and Empire are the most mercilessly boring movies I've ever seen.

-NaTaLie- and ezekiel22x like this.
  10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Haha, Empire did mostly bore the crap out of me when I was a little kid. Back then my take on Star Wars was Star Wars, Return of the Jedi, and the other one. Strangely enough, though, what I liked best about it were the mundane walking scenes through Cloud City, because it reminded me of the preschool I went to.

DBPirate likes this.
  11. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I think A New Hope and Empire are the most mercilessly boring movies I've ever seen.
    --------

so you haven't sat through the joys that is The Golden Compass, Enders Game and Blood of Dracula? I envy you :p

ekrolo2 likes this.
  12. Hilal

Nov 2, 2015
    I'll tell you what, I agree with you, it's my favorite as well.
    Perhaps this is controversial though: it shouldn't be my favorite - it shouldn't be anyone's favorite. In nearly 40 years neither the creator himself nor other people haven't been able to top it... and that's horrible, because it means the following five movies were a downhill slide. And that sucks.

*I still enjoy all 6 movies don't get me wrong.

13. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    • Bail Organa gets way less credit than he should
    • Lucas should have stuck with his original idea for TPM
    • The KOTOR era is the most overrated era in the entire EU
    • The Imperials are way more interesting than the Rebels
    • Jar Jar gets way too much hate
    • The Prequels are good movies, even with all their flaws
    • The story of TFU is awful
    • Qui-Gon, Maul, Dooku, Watto, Shmi, and a few of the side characters are the only good characters that originated in the PT.

ekrolo2 likes this.
  14. DaveyWanKenobi

DaveyWanKenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 4, 2015

This. I am of this exact mindset, and it is certainly unpopular to say so here. Literally zero bleeps given on what Disney says is and isn't canon (Or Lucas before them for whatever that's worth).

TCW and Rebels are 'what ifs' to me. Along with all video game stories, comics, and novels. Don't get me wrong, I legitimately like or even love some of them, but as far as I'm concerned only the films are canon. (And, just for clarity's sake, I do NOT include The Clone Wars cartoon movie when I say that)

I am curious what I will think after they add the anthology films though.........man I REALLY hope they don't suck....

Sarge likes this.
  15. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Anakin Skywalker was created by the Midichlorians to kill the Younglings and bring balance to the Force

16. GremlinOfTheOrder

GremlinOfTheOrder Jedi Padawan

Oct 22, 2015
    I'm fairly new to the forums, so I'm not sure of there is more Prequel acceptance here than other places so maybe this opinion may not be as unpopular here as it is everywhere else.

I don't hate the PT at all. Granted, a lot of my affection for it is pure nostalgia but I don't think they are the pure cinematic abominations the internet likes to say they are. I got into Star Wars in 1999, the year of Phantom's release. I have a lot of fond memories of the media blitz that was The Phantom Menace. I was the perfect age for it at the time. I got swept up like crazy. I loved the film when I saw it in theaters. I loved it a lot. It did what Star Wars was meant to do-capture my imagination completely. The same with Episode 2 and 3. Now, around the time Episode 3 came out I was morphing into the film geek I am now, and had more nuances opinions-but I still enjoyed it to death.

As I and the films get older, I totally see the issues they possess. Many of the critiques are not wrong at all. Poor acting, stiff and bland dialogue, artificial looking CGI effects...all criticisms I share. But I do think as spectacles, the films work well. While the acting is largely cheesy, boring and flat out bad...the scripts at least make the effort to tell a human, dramatic story. The heart of the franchise, I feel, is there even if Lucas needed help with dialogue and casting. So while many aspects of the PT do not work, I do feel that they ARE TRYING and not soulless endeavors many people call them.

I would call all three of them, objectively, mediocre films. Not terrible, not great. But mixed bags I still enjoy due to nostalgia and due to, personally at least, feeling like they try.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Welcome to the forums. :) I think there is more prequel acceptance here, and you should check out the PT forum as well as hanging out here in Saga.

18. S2N2

S2N2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 29, 2015
    That the PT acting and dialogue is well done and serves the purpose of the story.

The PT was an age of opulence and abundance. This was reflected in its architecture (Naboo, Coruscant), Its big business and money transactions (Trade Federation, Count Dooku), and the way people speak to each other. I almost think of the Victorian era how everything was flowery and theatrical. The PT era is the same way and the kind of "over the top" dialogue that we hear, especially between Anakin and Padme, to me, reflect the times AND their characters. Remember, most of the main characters of the PT are among the elite of society. Jedi, senators, business executives. Just like in our own society, the elite do not typically speak like the "commoners". In the OT we mostly have commoner type characters: Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, the Rebel Alliance etc.

Also about the "wooden" dialogue. Again, its a guided age with mostly elites as our main characters. But besides that, we have many jedi as prominent characters as well. They are essentially monks who devote much of their time to meditation and introspection. I would imagine those types of people are not going to be as quick witted and snarky as a Han Solo. You see they are not robots. They have a sense of humor (Obi Wan at the start of TPM, "The negotiations WERE short", Yoda in AOTC, "Master Kenobi lost a planet, how embarrassing!" They are just more stoic and less animated in their expressions. I think it is realistic and true to their characters.

Buy hey, those are just my opinions :cool: Most people on the internet would violently disagree with this opinion though, so that is why I have posted it!

19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I like the Ewoks.

Sue me.

20. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
  21. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Obi wan is a jerk
    Watto is a great character
    Anakin's theme in TPM is a great piece of art

22. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    What? o_O

23. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

Some people say that Obi-Wan is a jerk because he didn't tell the truth about Vader to Luke in the first place while he was going to fight him.

Nope, I agree with you.

That was the feeling I had when watching the prequels recently in my marathon, especially with Attack of the Clones. Even if the lines about "sand" still makes me scratch my head, for the dialogue in the fireplace scene, I'm certain that Lucas and Jonathan Hales took their inspiration from classic, romantic poems and drama plays which were written, or made references to, during the 17th or 18th century. The problem with those types of writings is that it is extremely hard to play or act with it as I described it in my review: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...rs-thoughts-and-views.50033269/#post-52682669

I don't think that in that case you can blame the acting or the writing of George Lucas, maybe just the directing since it's just a monumental and very difficult task to get through with those types of dialogue and lines. I tried to understand those types of writings myself during my classes of literature and it was already impossible for me, even if I had a teacher on my side.

But on the other side, I think that it is also a problem with the audience who can not stand too honeyed and romantic scenes in general, especially in a sci-fi geek movie like Star Wars. I remember that when watching Attack of the Clones and The Empire Strikes Back for the first time when I was a teenager, I could not stand the romantic scenes between Anakin and Padme, and between Leia and Han. Maybe today, as an adult, I've become more tolerant and more understanding over these sort of things.

24. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    "Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic life form?"

25. Italian Ackbar

Italian Ackbar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2015
    Let's see...

- ROTJ was my favourite when I was a kid, and I still think that it's a great movie. Ok: recycling the Death Star wasn't the best idea, Ewoks are inappropriate and Boba Fett's death is ridiculous... but I love Jabba's palace sequence and the battle in the end. The scenes with Luke, Vader and Palpatine are probably the most powerful in the entire saga.

- I really like The Empire Strikes Back, but i'm not sure it is the best movie of the saga BY FAR.

- My favourite part of A New Hope is the first one, until they leave Mos Eisley. Then i like very much the Death Star part too, but the battle of Yavin in my opinion is the weakest part of the movie.

- Character's development in the Prequels is very weak, and you'd probably agree, but here's the unpopolar part: I think the same about loved characters like Qui-Gon and Windu. All the characters do something because they have to, from a certain point of view Prequels are like an history book about the Republican times of SW's universe.

- I don't know which movie between TPM and AOTC is better, I think that the second one has a more interesting plot but is really boring in some parts.

- I like Watto for no reason.

- I think that the PT has a very unbalanced and fractured structure: in The Phantom Menace we see a Jar Jar's gag and right after a long political discussion. Politics in the Prequel didn't bother me so much (Asimov is my favourite writer, so...), but i really didn't like the mix between so different tones in the movie.