main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Attack of the Clones is the best Star Wars film in my opinion.
    -----------

this.

Alienware and Allana_Rey like this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    ESB is more similar to the prequels than ANH is. ESB shares the tragic tone, light side/dark side philosophy, etc. of the prequels while ANH has good guys and bad guys, an adverturous tone, and the theme of believing in oneself.

3. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Is this an unpopular opinion or just an observation? :p

4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    So do other Star Wars movies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Are you sure about this? These are the rankings from the most popular movie viewers site in Russia (kinopoisk.ru).

TPM - 8.05
    AOTC - 7.98
    ROTS - 8.15
    ANH - 8.08
    TESB - 8.10
    ROTJ - 8.13

AOTC actually has the lowest grade but they all average up/down to 8 out 10 (shocking!). I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case in other non-English speaking countries where folks aren't over-nostalgic over the OT.

Movies are subjective. It all comes down to whether you like something or not. A lot of people dislike Star Wars as a whole and have their own valid reason for it (things like dialogue and acting have always been the object scorn, going all the way to 1977). At the same time, people may look at the entire saga instead of PT vs OT and realize that every movie has its strengths and weaknesses and then decide whether they add up to something than bigger than the sum of its parts. Seems like it's a lot more common when folks don't have a strong attachment to the style of the OT (Yoda might have something to say about that).

xezene, JoshieHewls and GrimdarkRose like this.
  5. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    The telepathic exchange between Luke and Vader at the end of TESB is the best moment of the movie.

6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I think these implements are a brilliant idea! Simple but imagine all the uses for them? What do you think?

7. Daltonio

Daltonio Jedi Padawan

Nov 20, 2015
    I love and have always loved Jar Jar Binks.

8. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    I have always liked, and feel really bad for, the Trade Federation guys.

9. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    My wife and I just rewatched the prequels (on our way to starting the OT--gotta get ready for TFA!), and we were saying the same thing. I, for the life of me, will never understand the hate that Hayden Christensen gets for his performance. Is it Oscar worthy? No. No Star Wars performance is. But damn if I don't sympathize with the guy and understand where he's coming from (not that I'd be making the same decisions--I don't foresee myself killing my friends and children to supposedly save my wife/son). ROTS is definitely his strongest performance. In the first 30 minutes he's happy, he's having fun during battle, but still determined to accomplish his mission and save the man he considers a friend.

And of course the turn to the dark side, knowing that what he is doing is wrong but really not having another choice (he's responsible for Mace's death, of course) in his mind. His reaction is completely realistic to me, and the way that he's convinced himself that what he's doing needs to be done. And, of course, everything leading up to the duel.

Hayden gets way too much flack from fandom. I really wish that folks would reappraise his performance of what he's supposed to be instead of what they want him to be, and not blow things like "I hate sand" out of proportion.

10. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Every criticism I've ever seen of the Prequels can just as easily be applied to any other major film series, including the OT.

11. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    I love the "I hate sand" bit. AOTC has some awkward moments of dialogue, but that isn't one of them. It sounds exactly like something a frustrated teen in Anakin's position, with Anakin's life experiences, would say. I thought it was a clever line when I first heard it, and I still think so today.

12. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The Phantom Menace is better than A New Hope. I stand by this opinon with no shame.

13. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Christensen's performance in AOTC is not only good, but the dialogue in the romance scenes is spot on.

At this point in the timeline, Anakin is a 19 year old Jedi who has been obsessed with this woman for a decade. His entire teenage existence has been spent as a Jedi. He's never chatted up a girl. He has literally no experience with any of that. What he says, particularly during the fireplace scene, makes perfect sense when you consider that this is the first time he's ever made a move on someone and this person happens to be the woman he's been in love with from a far. So of course he comes out with really cheesy and awkward lines. By the same token, Padme has had a little more experience than him but not much. She has spent the last decade bogged down in politics, with no time for any kind of relationship. In Anakin,she sees a literal knight (the shining armour comes later) who is ready to sweep her off her feet, someone who would risk everything he's ever worked for to be with her.

What Anakin and Padme have is really intense, really emotional teenage puppy love that they never get a chance to grow out of. It's never allowed to mature into a proper relationship because the war breaks out and also because they have to keep it a secret.

14. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Prequel Trilogy>Original Trilogy

Say what you might but I got my reasons.

15. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    General Grievous is better in TCW and RotS than in the 2003 Clone wars series.

16. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    We need a KOTOR 3.

ROTJ is the best movie of the OT.

AOTC is the best movie of the PT.

The new Battlefront game should had been an actual Battlefront 3 instead.

17. DaveyWanKenobi

DaveyWanKenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 4, 2015
    Some of these opinions certainly belong in this thread, as I literally couldn't be bribed to pretend I agree with some of them(Won't name anyone, I'm enough of a jerk already). THIS however is NOT one of those. I think almost everyone would've liked KOTOR 3 more than that crappy Old Republic MMO. I don't think that is an unpopular opinion.

I still remember how disappointed I was when I first heard the 'canon' that followed KOTOR 2. Would've MUCH preferred a third game where you search for Revan & The Exile/Meetra(sp?) Surik in the unknown regions/Kick Emperor Whatshisname's arse. I hated the whole idea of Revan being imprisoned agelessly for hundreds of years just so some nameless character can free him and get a short meaningless scene with Exile's force ghost only for Revan to die again. IMO the only character worth crap from The Old Republic was Satele Shan, and her epic cut-scene duels,and I STILL think she would have been better if she was the DIRECT descendant of Revan&Bastila. She could have been their unnamed unborn child mentioned in KOTOR 2 or something.

KOTOR 3 could have been epic. I would have loved to see how the Jedi Order recovers from almost literal complete extinction to become what they were in the Old Republic MMO timeline (Or even the movie timeline, since this presumably would replace The Old Republic MMO entirely). I mean, after KOTOR 2 was over were any Jedi left at all? I don't even think Atris counted anymore by the end. I think the only ones NOT confirmed dead were the few party members from each game that happened to be Jedi (Along with Revan & The Exile).

Seagoat likes this.
  18. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    The political aspect of the prequels is one of the best things Star Wars ever did. Then again, I love history and find politics on war or conflict to be fascinating.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I rather enjoyed that myself.

20. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Yeah, I honestly never minded the political stuff. I thought some of it was half-baked and poorly explained, and I thought there were some jarring tonal issues (especially in THE PHANTOM MENACE) when you’re cutting between the political intrigue and the antics of Jar Jar Binks, but I never found the presence of political elements to be a problem.

only one kenobi likes this.
  21. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Im okay with some things being questionable or unexplained. It either creates an idea that I can create on my own and I've never had any problem filling in blanks on my own. I guess the unpopular opinion for some reason is to include politics in general. I assume some don't like poltics? Which is fine but this is a Republic and the Senate is said to exist in A New Hope. I find those parts really interesting now that I'm older.

22. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I wouldn’t mind it if some elements were deliberately left ambiguous/mysterious, but with the prequels, it feels unexplained in a random, clumsy, and poorly thought-out way than in a deliberately ambiguous way. For example, I still have no idea why the Trade Federation willingly went along with the Emperor’s plan…even after his plans sent them to prison. I certainly wouldn’t have gambled my entire business operation on the plans of some mysterious, evil, hooded hologram whose face I’ve never seen and whose name I don’t know. Not to mention that all the political machinations eventually just got so convoluted that most of them were eventually dropped by the time of REVENGE OF THE SITH.

As I said, I don’t necessarily mind the presence of political elements (after all, it is the story of how a Republic becomes a fascist Empire), but I would’ve preferred it had they been thought out and explained better. Look at GAME OF THRONES. That stuff has alot more political crap than the STAR WARS prequels have, and it’s arguably even more convoluted, but while certain things (especially involving Varys) are left mysterious, I never found it overly confusing. I never felt the need to rack my brain to figure out what the hell was going on like with THE PHANTOM MENACE. There was never any, “OK, so I guess we’re just supposed to assume…”.

only one kenobi likes this.
  23. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Yeah I understand where your coming from. I mean with a franchise like Star Wars, it's understandable things may not seem clear. Idk I never saw the problem with it even when it got confusing. It somewhat works out for the Trade Federation in the end since between the films he's part of the Separatist Alliance. Hell, I like the little subtleness of the Clone Wars where the basic space opera trope of interstellar empire vs rebel freedom fighters was inverted with the Republic, predecessor of the Empire, are the good guys and Separatist Alliance is sort of a precursor to the Rebellion, who are evil in the films. The Trade Federation I think was ambitious at first. I mean why wouldn't they? There hadn't been a major conflict in a while and the Republic didn't have a strong military force. I think they probably had their doubts but I assume they still continue with the plan because they are afraid of Sidious. Not to mention Darth Maul is sent to "advise" them, probably to make sure they don't back out. There is evidence of the Trade Federation's implied fear of the Sith, whether or not they knew Sidious was a Sith. Theyy at least new his name though as Nute Gunray namedrops Darth Sidious' s name. I believe it was Rune Haako who says, "Now there is two of them!" Once again it's speculation but I don't lose sleep over it the same way I don't lose sleep when 500 stormtroopers can't kill or capture 2 droids, an inexperienced farm boy, a smuggler or princess on their own turf. Either way, I think it gives a more 3 dimension to the universe whether or not it was executed well in some opinions. For me, I wouldn't change a damn thing.

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    You can't seriously compare 3 family friendly movies with not so family friendly multi season miniseries based on the doorstopper books.There was more politics in the drafts and deleted scenes of AOTC and ROTS. My guess is that Lucas didn't want to bloat the movies or invite more rants against the boring political scenes after TPM. The basic idea - of taking over from within through the manufactured crisis - still comes through.

Darkslayer likes this.
  25. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Honestly, the fact that they still listen to this guy even after he’s already played them for suckers makes even less sense to me. Before REVENGE OF THE SITH came out, I just assumed that they didn’t know that Christopher Lee and the Emperor were in cahoots, especially when he says, “The Viceroy of the Trade Federation was once in league with this Darth Sidious. But he was betrayed—10 years ago—by the Dark Lord. He came to me for help. He told me everything.” I always just assumed that Lee was telling the truth there. After the whole invasion fiasco in THE PHANTOM MENACE, the green trade aliens just went crawling to Christopher Lee, begging for his help (not knowing he was in league with the same exact person who’d previously betrayed them), and he obliged in exchange for their droid army.
    Well, they knew an obvious pseudonym, but they didn’t know his real name. He might as well have called himself “Baron von Evil”. They’re aware he’s a Sith, but why even listen to this guy in the first place? It’d be like if I Skyped the CEO of Citigroup with some sort of scheme to help them avoid taxes or something, and then, when they asked me who I was, I said, “My name is not important. Just obey my commands!” They’d hang up right away.

To me, the prequels represent a fascinating insight into the creative process of George Lucas. It’s clear that the man has some brilliant, creative ideas, but it’s also clear that he doesn’t work well in a vacuum. He needs people around him to tell him which ideas are good, which ones are bad, and which ones have potential but need refinement. That’s how we got the final version of the original STAR WARS film. He constantly had all of his friends (Francis Ford Coppola, Steven Spielberg, John Milius, etc.) critique the script, and he made constant revisions to it until he got it right. With EMPIRE and JEDI, he surrounded himself with people like Irvin Kershner and Lawrence Kasdan. On the INDIANA JONES films, he surrounded himself with the likes of Spielberg and Kasdan. That didn’t happen with the prequels. He tried to create those in a vacuum and the result is a frustrating mess with some brilliant concepts and great potential that needs alot of refining.

only one kenobi and Sarge like this.