main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Unreachable (Drama, OCs)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Revanfan1, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Prologue

Pain.

He felt pain deep in his chest. He knew, though he wasn't sure how, that he had at least two broken ribs. He groaned and tried to roll over onto his back, hoping to alleviate some of the pain. He grimaced–movement only made it worse. He wanted to open his eyes, but he already felt like he had daggers stabbing into them. If he opened them...he didn't want to think about that.

He felt more pain, in his abdomen, and in his legs. He tried to flex his fingers. They worked, and he felt no pain there. That was a relief.

He heard the sound of a gentle breeze blowing through tree boughs. It sounded relaxing. He smelled grass. From all external evidence, he seemed to be in some kind of paradise. It made him want to open his eyes even more.

Finally, he decided to risk it.

He gasped in pain as sunlight pierced his eyes, and closed them again instinctively. Finally, he forced them open again, and looked around. Indeed, he was in a forest, and it was beautiful. He glanced down at his body. His brown clothes were tattered and shredded...and a large gash traveled its way across his belly.

What happened to me?

He pressed his hand to his belly. There was no blood gushing from it; it was all clotted. That was a relief. It meant he wasn't going to die, anyways. He forced himself to sit up and winced; he could feel the broken parts of his ribs grinding together. He cried out aloud in pain and heard it echo through the trees. Finally, he got the courage to stand up.

He tried to remember what had been going on. But it was all a blur. He saw fire...red lights flashing. He heard screaming. He smelled burning skin and grass.

He blinked. He couldn't remember anything else. Nothing but that...and his name.

Kale Ortus.

Kale placed his hands on his hips. As he did, his left hand encountered a metal tube. Frowning, he pulled it from his belt and looked down at it. The shining silver tube reflected and distorted his face back at him...black hair, shoulder-length, parted in the middle; ice blue eyes; warm tan skin; stubble beginning to grow on his chin.

The tube was a lightsaber hilt.

Kale frowned and pressed the ignition switch; a cyan blade shot from the emitter. Kale remembered something else.

I am a Jedi.

But he didn't know where he was, or how he'd gotten here...or why he was injured. He deactivated his lightsaber and looked around. Well, wherever he was, he needed to find his way back to civilization. Maybe then, he could get some answers.

Clipping his lightsaber back to his belt, he chose a direction at random and set off, hoping that he was actually on an inhabited world.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    interesting beginning

AzureAngel2 and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    :D Fascinating. =D=

4. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    earlybird-obi-wan, Nyota's Heart, thanks, glad you liked it!

Chapter 1

Kale pushed his way through some brush and glanced around. He was in a clearing with a small, fresh-water pond. He stepped toward it. It seemed clean, pure. He pulled off his ripped shirt, threw it aside, and quickly rinsed off his wounds. He winced as the water ran along the deep scars. His fingers brushed them and he wondered briefly how he'd gotten them. Not a lightsaber wound, for sure; that would have killed him–and the wound would've been cauterized, anyways.

Unbidden, he saw the image of something sharp–gleaming–flash in his mind's eye.

Kale put his hands to his head as the memory disappeared just as quickly as it had first appeared. He breathed shakily and lowered his hands. He reached down, dipped his hands in the water, and took a drink. He didn't think he'd ever tasted anything so good. He sagged in relief.

What should I do? he asked himself.

For all he knew, even if he was on a civilized world, he could be headed in the exact opposite direction of any habitation. He might wander around until he died and never reach another living soul–but if he just stayed here, he may have water, but there was no telling what kind of creatures could live in this forest. Staying in one place might not be the best idea.

He picked up his shirt and stood, examining the tear in the fabric. No, this was no lightsaber wound. It was jagged, rough. As if a vibroblade or claw had sheared through it. He touched his abdomen and winced. If it had been a vibroblade, the vibration would've torn his internal organs to shreds and he would've bled out in minutes. It was either an unpowered blade or a claw, then.

Had someone tried to kill him?

He looked up in the sky. The little he could see of it through the trees was blue, partly cloudy. It was humid, here, but not too warm. How had he gotten here? Had he come here intentionally? Been dropped here? He couldn't remember. Then, he spotted something in the sky. A vapor trail–probably from a ship. He narrowed his eyes. The trail seemed to descend...

He couldn't tell direction, because he couldn't see the sun, but he decided that it would be best to head out in the direction of the vapor trail. If he could find a ship, maybe he'd discover what had happened to him. He started walking in that direction. As he did, he reached out tentatively with the Force. It was one of the few things he could remember. He sensed life all around him. Most of it was plant life, but he thought he also sensed animal life. Nowhere nearby, though.

He pushed past a tree and took a step, and tripped. He tucked himself into a ball and rolled, landing in a squat. The motion aggravated his wound, and he grimaced and held his abdomen. He glanced down at what he'd tripped over. It was a large chunk of metal, jagged and torn, planted in the ground as if rammed there at great speed. Slowly, he approached it. He could just make out a symbol, in blue, painted on the side, so worn as to be almost invisible.

The symbol of the Jedi Order.

Was this part of my ship? he wondered. Did I crash?

Maybe the vapor trail was from a search craft that was trying to find him. Kale wondered how long he'd been gone. Shrugging to himself, he turned and kept on toward the end of the vapor trail, hoping for answers. About half a kilometer later, he heard noises. Low, threatening growls. Worriedly, he slowly grabbed his lightsaber and pulled it from his belt, letting his thumb rest above the activation stud.

"Who's there?" he asked, his voice hoarse.

The only response was another growl. An instant later, Kale's Force senses warned him of danger. He ignited his lightsaber and rolled aside as a large, dark-furred beast leapt through the foliage, claws extended. Kale brought his lightsaber up. The beat was lean, with taut muscles. It had long, sharp teeth protruding from its mouth, and a whip-like tail. It growled deeply and lunged. Kale ducked under its blow and rammed his lightsaber up into its belly. The blade carved a long, burning gash along its skin, but did not immediately penetrate. Kale frowned. Lightsaber-resistant bones? What was this creature?

The beast leapt again, and this time it slashed with its claws. Kale swept his blade and cut the creature along its long legs. It howled in pain and pulled back. Kale advanced, and slashed his lightsaber down, finally killing the beast as he slashed deep into its neck. He deactivated his lightsaber and knelt, examining its teeth and claws, and then his wound. It didn't match up.

This beast did not make these marks.

He touched the beast's fur, and its name rose in his mind. Maalraas.

Clipping his lightsaber to his belt, Kale rose and stepped away from the maalraas. Well, dangerous though it was, it had nothing to do with his mysterious arrival at this place, or his injury. He began walking once again in the direction of the vapor trail.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  5. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Strange creatures and a piece of a ship. He sure is in trouble. I hope he will make it back

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Intriguing pieces of the puzzle. I hope whatever inhabitants there are are not the source of the attack /injury.

Gemma and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I was so glad to see this tonight. Tag me in. You've got my attention. Ouch broken ribs. I've had fractured ones front and back once -- I hope he can get someone to wrap them for him soon.

8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    earlybird-obi-wan, Nyota's Heart, Gemma

Chapter 2

It took hours, and lots of scrabbling about, to reach the end of the vapor trail. Kale, exhausted, dropped and sat with his back to a tree. By his calculations, the ship that had left the vapor trail should be about fifty meters ahead, through the trees. But he needed a rest first. He closed his eyes and tried to use the Force to take away some of the pain he felt.

Memories were slowly starting to come back; he remembered a few things from his early life. He'd attended the Jedi Academy on Dantooine. He'd been apprenticed to a Jedi Master named Zhar Lestin, a Twi'lek. He'd built his first lightsaber at age sixteen.

His trail of memories broke off as he heard a sound farther in the jungle. Opening his eyes, he glanced in that direction, and saw nothing. Slowly, he pulled himself to his feet. Best to keep moving. He walked toward his destination and pushed through a couple of low-hanging boughs. What he saw chilled him down to the bone. It was a Republic Aurek starfighter, commonly flown by the Jedi. It traced a long furrow in the ground, suggesting it had crashed. He tightened his jaw. This was his starfighter.

And surrounding it, stripping it for parts, were four Mandalorian warriors.

Kale grabbed his lightsaber and, without warning, leapt into the clearing, igniting the weapon. The Mandies were good–they whirled and raised their subrepeating blasters, firing them before Kale hit the ground. The Jedi parried the bolts, leapt again, and landed right beside the closest Mandie. He slashed his lightsaber out, carving a deep furrow in the Mandalorian's chest plate. The Mandie groaned and dropped. The other three flanked Kale and continued firing.

Kale pushed himself forward and slashed the next Mandalorian's blaster in half, following it up with a Force push that sent him flying into the tree line. The other two continued firing. Kale rolled aside, but took one bolt to the bicep. He winced, locked his lightsaber on, and hurled it, using the Force to guide its path. It slashed through both Mandies and returned to his hand. Kale turned and walked toward the Mandie he'd thrown into the trees.

Before he could reach him, the Mandalorian had already activated his jetpack and rocketed away. Kale sighed, turned, and began inspecting the crashed starfighter. It was shredded, as if he'd been shot down. Kale frowned, wondering how, after the crash, he'd awakened so far from his starfighter. He clambered into the cockpit and looked around. He found several items inside–water, rations, a blaster. He quickly took them and tucked them into his belt. He was about to leave the cockpit when he saw a glimmer of metal on the floor. Reaching down, he picked it up. It was a golden locket with a holo-activator. He touched the button.

An image of a woman appeared. She had short, black hair, and the kindest brown eyes Kale had ever seen. She was truly beautiful, and she radiated a kind of peace and joy that Kale had seldom seen before. And he knew, instantly, though he could not recall her name, that he loved her.

"I will find you," he said to the image.

He shut it off, put it in his pocket, and sat down to think.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ah, so some of the mystery is solved, but the biggest part remains: how did Kale get so far from his downed fighter? [face_thinking] Love the locket and the image it holds. A beautiful, sweet lady-love. Someone worth returning for/to. :)

AzureAngel2, Gemma and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I sort of based the lady off of Ginnifer Goodwin, who played Snow White in Once Upon a Time. At times, in the show, there are scenes where she practically oozes sweetness and love. She's probably the only actress I have ever truly had a crush on. [face_love]

[​IMG]

AzureAngel2 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I hope he will find her and is allowed to go with her

12. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I love the locket. I had to look up Ginnifer Goodwin --- her currect IMDB photo has her hair shorn really short - but I think she' pretty with either long or short hair. Maybe Kale ejected from his ship?? Or maybe it's not his ship -- just because the locket was there doesn't have to mean it's his ship.

13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Actually the really short hair is what she usually looks like in the "modern" parts of Once Upon a Time. I'm not sure which one I like her better with. As to the ship...we'll see! I'll write an update later today, because I'm cramming for a science portion of an ACT test I have to take on Wednesday so I can get into college! [face_nail_biting]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  14. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    * laughs Rumpel-like laugh

Because I am ill at home and in agony PLUS you are inspired by a character one of my favourite TV series, please put me on the up-date list!

* hopes RL duties and the return of her husband will leave her time to devour so much fanfic

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Revanfan1 - MTFBWY for your test on Wednesday.

Revanfan1 and AzureAngel2 like this.
  16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Revanfan1 -- best wishes for your ACT exam and all that follows, but :eek: I've been a JC-er long enough to know college swallows writers up whole oftener than not. :( So I will totally relish your stuff while I can LOL

@};-

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Nyota's Heart, Gemma, thanks for the well wishes! AzureAngel2, earlybird-obi-wan

Chapter 3

The entrance flap to the Jedi command tent blew open with a chilly breeze and three beings entered. Sitting on the floor, cross-legged in meditation, Allie Ortus looked up at them. Allie stood slowly and bowed at the waist. Short, with close-cropped black hair and brown eyes, Allie was a Jedi healer from Tanaab. The three beings who entered contrasted strongly with her–all three cut imposing, almost intimidating, figures. The leftmost figure was a woman in brown, light-skinned, with brown hair and ice blue eyes. The rightmost was a very tall man in red, bald, with blue eyes and light blue-gray tattoos on his head.

The middle figure, despite being the most physically average of the three, was without a doubt the leader. Of slightly below-average height, he had long black hair, combed back, and piercing brown eyes. He wore brown robes, and under one arm he carried the helmet that was more his face than the flesh one. His presence itself was inspiring, and he radiated a confidence that had made countless Jedi and soldiers want to follow him.

"Revan," Allie said, bowing her head. "General Surik, General Malak."

Revan nodded. "Master Ortus."

Meetra Surik gave her a sympathetic look. "Has there been any sign of Kale?"

Tears stinging her eyes, Allie shook her head. "No."

Revan's eyes hardened. "The Mandalorians will pay. Kale was a good man, worth more than any ten soldiers."

"Please, Master," Allie replied. "Kale would not wish to hear you talking in such a manner. He would not see you succumb to anger."

"Perhaps," Malak replied, "anger is needed at this point."

Allie knew she did not fit in here. Meetra, and many other Jedi amongst the Revanites, had asked her over and over again why she'd joined Revan's unsanctioned war against the Mandalorians. The Jedi Council had spoken against such a crusade, but Revan and his followers had fought on anyways. Unlike most of them, Allie was not here because she wanted to fight the Mandalorians, though.

She was here to be a healing presence. There were too many warriors in this group, and not enough healers. Allie was here to provide light to a group perilously close to the dark. Even when she could not heal medically, she had been able to heal mentally, even by just being friends with the soldiers. She was, basically, a morale officer and a chief medic wrapped up in one. It was her duty, and she was proud to do it.

But it was hard, when she was thinking about Kale.

"Peace, Malak," Meetra said. "This discussion is pointless at this juncture. The Mandalorians push through the jungle toward us, flanking us. They will soon cut us off from the other Republic camps. We need to advance, and break their lines."

Revan nodded, and he and his generals gathered around a holomap of the jungle. As they talked, Allie slipped quietly from the tent. She had no wisdom in battle strategies. This was not her specialty. No, she was needed elsewhere. Allie knew where she fit in, and she knew many–like Malak–who would've preferred she not be here at all if she wasn't going to fight. But she did serve a purpose. And so, Kale or no Kale, she would continue to serve it.

But at the same time, she would pray that he would be found alive and well.

"Come back to me, my love," she said softly.

And she went to work.

Gemma and AzureAngel2 like this.
  18. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Revan nodded, and he and his generals gathered around a holomap of the jungle. As they talked, Allie slipped quietly from the tent. She had no wisdom in battle strategies. This was not her specialty. No, she was needed elsewhere. Allie knew where she fit in, and she knew many–like Malak–who would've preferred she not be here at all if she wasn't going to fight. But she did serve a purpose. And so, Kale or no Kale, she would continue to serve it.

But at the same time, she would pray that he would be found alive and well.

"Come back to me, my love," she said softly.

And she went to work.

That was a special moment. Thank you for it!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Love being introduced to Allie and will really enjoy reading more about Revan. ;)

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I hope Allie will go after her love and find him

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I am looking forward to reading and learning more about Revan.
    Revanfan1 I know that college will probably consume you for a while, but after you emerge, I hope you will let us know where you landed in your aspirations so that we can still enjoy your work --- be it through journalism or pro writing. To me your writing is of pro quality now - actually maybe even better.

Revanfan1 and Nyota's Heart like this.