main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unreality (Ani/Ami Vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obaona, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Thank for clicking! :D

Title: Unreality
    Summary: A fic about cloudy days, hearts, and minds. (doesn't that sound poetic? Tell me if you know what it means :p )
    Rating: G
    Author's Note: Amidala_Skywalker and myself fought over this title. There was much threatening to edit. ;) She kindly, however, agreed to let me have it. *curtsies to Empress* Unbeta-ed (though it probably should be :p ). This is kind of an odd fic, and it's supposed to leave you with a sense of . . . well . . . unreality. ;) Hope you like it. :)

On with the story.

Days like these feel so dreamy, as if the clouds took the harsh light of reality away, and leave nothing but the lingering of reality in the faint shadows. Some days I treasure days like this, and I take long walks along the streets of Naboo, breathing in the fresh air, heavy with the scent of rain. Other days I see those shadows, and am reminded of what I?ve lost.

Some would say it?s ironic, I suppose, that today is a day with clouds. Palpatine is dead; the New Order is in chaos. Today is the day it is official declared that the ?Old? Republic lives again. I suspect the New Order won?t disappear entirely ? there were too many that followed its ways, too many worlds that would have to be punished, too many people that would have to die for their crimes. It is a pessimistic thought, but I know it?s true. My idealism . . . my optimism . . . are lost to me, as are so many other things.

Obi-Wan is surprisingly understanding. I think he knows more than I had thought he did about the events in my life, when he was not there. When I first told him my thoughts, my fears on what the future could bring, there was no surprise in his eyes. He agreed that the New Order would not disappear, that there would still be battles to fight ? except this time, not always in the battlefield of life and death, but in ideas and law.

And when I avoided speaking of a certain politician known for her integrity and honor, he said nothing. He merely touched my shoulder, felt the spot where my Padawan braid had once hung with his thumb, and nodded sadly. I could see the sorrow in his eyes, and at that moment I realized that somehow, he knew of me and her. And he grieved for my loss.

I am not celebrating our success. I suspect I am not the only one. This war has cost too much, taken too much, for many of us to simply bask in the joy of victory. Those losses stay with us, are quiet whispers on our shoulders, reminding us of our grief and our reason for going on.

I treasure those little whispers in my ear. They are the voices of my dead family: my mother . . . my wife.

I remember holding her in my arms, her head lying on my shoulder. She looked up at me, and she was quietly gasping for breath. It seemed so silent, as if the world held its breath. I looked into her eyes, those soulful brown eyes, and saw the clouds reflected in them. She couldn?t speak. The wounds she had suffered from the surprise ambush near the Senate building were so severe she could not summon the breath. I could not look away from her face. I did not want to look away.

I once claimed I would defeat death. But as I held her in my arms I knew I couldn?t, and that I never would. Her death just seemed to come in an inevitable slide. So I looked into her eyes, that brown touched with gray, and told her I loved her.

I told her I had pledged my life to her . . . and that I had also, in my heart, pledged my death to her. It was all I could say, the only way I could express how much she meant to me. And I think she smiled for a moment. It was hard to tell, through the blur of my tears.

There was no sudden loss of life in her eyes. It was a gentle subsiding, like a breeze slowly fading. You don?t know it?s truly there until it?s gone.

I had given everything for her, for my Padmé. I had pledged my life and my death ? and that did not mean I would die to b

2. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    This was a beautiful piece.

It was a gentle subsiding, like a breeze slowly fading. You don?t know it?s truly there until it?s gone.

Wonderful imagery.

3. purpleMonkeeForceUsa

purpleMonkeeForceUsa Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2002
    oh I loved that line too.
    great post.

4. Lady_Moonbeam

Lady_Moonbeam Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Aw, oba, that was a beautiful vignette. And for an AU, you chose such an interesting turn--Anakin staying on the Light and being Padme's voice after she's gone. I really liked it--the imagery was fantastic, and it did give me a sort of floating dreamy feeling when I was reading it, particularly the beginning.

5. GunraysLawyer

GunraysLawyer Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2003
    Wonderful, simply wonderful.

You have captured something about Anakin that not many authors do catch...He is devoted and devotional by nature. The behavior that you outline is what I would expect of him. After all the revenge motive is only this turned slightly askew. Further, you give him the revenge he'd seek, but against Palpatine....

Again, Wonderful, simply wonderful.

6. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Lovely, oba. Beautiful imagery, lyrical writing, and perfectly believable. Wonderful job. :D

7. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    All I can do is echo the sentiments of everyone else. This is beautiful in the way it captures Anakin's true nature. Sad and yes unreal but in a very stylish way. Excellent job obaona, very well done.

8. Lando_Plenty

Lando_Plenty Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    Beautiful Piece! So sad, and peaceful.

Interesting, that her death brings him peace. And also believable. Then there's such great imagery.

I especially liked the way you wrote the ending (the last 2 paragraphs.)

9. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    *charges in with her trusty musket* *grins*

Great story, oba. Really? ?unreality?. It makes the reader feel disorientated in a good way. Very poetic.

You?re lucky I allowed you to get away with this title ;). ?Much threatening?, indeed. Although, as I said in chat, I?m just an innocent, sweet girl caught up in your evil circle.

Am [face_love]

10. diamond_pony2002

diamond_pony2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    Beautiful. Simply beautiful. Too many words to describe this, yet there are not enough! GREAT VIGGIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Second try. Power better not cut out again. :mad: 8-}

Gina: Thank you. :) When I got the idea for this story, the imagery was one of the first things that came to mind, and I think it?s most of what gives the story that dreamy feel.

purpleMonkeeForceUsa: Thank you. I do my best. ;)

Lady_Moonbeam: Thank you. I had quite a long reply to that, but the power went out and away it went. *sigh* Anyway, I thought it would be an interesting twist. Most stories present Anakin staying in the light because of something Padme did, or she lived, etc. I thought it might be interesting to have him stay in the light because he wanted to honor her.

GunraysLawyer: [face_blush] I agree with you on Anakin ? he seems very much like a person who devotes himself fully, when he feels whatever he?s devoted to is worthy of it (I think he has doubts about the Jedi, sometimes). And who would Anakin feel was more worthy than Padme? I?ve also always thought that Anakin didn?t have to turn, or leave the Jedi Order, to kill Palpatine or be involved in his defeat. So, thank you. :)

Gabri_Jade: Thank you. ;) You know, I told Am after I wrote this that you would laugh - not because the story is funny, but because I wrote something that isn?t quite happy, but isn?t totally gut-wrenching either. And don?t say it?s totally sad. :p

JDH3: Thank you. I?m glad you think I caught Anakin?s character ? I find him interesting to write, but not always terribly easy. And I wrote something stylish. :cool: :p

Lando_Plenty: I don?t think it was really her death, as much as the consequences of her death (I think that?s what you meant ;) ). It is because of her death, and seeking to honor her, that he acts the way he does, and in doing it, he finds it?s actually the right thing. I was actually reminded of a scene (was it cut?) where they discuss politics, and Anakin said democracy didn?t work, and Padme disagreed. I?m glad you liked the ending especially ? I thought it was rather odd, myself. :p

Am: Why, thank you. ;) *eyes musket* What?s that for, anyway? I?ll let the ?innocent girl? thing pass. Since I must. *sigh*

diamond_pony2002: Thank you. :D

12. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
  13. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Don?t question the all-mighty musket :p.

Am [face_love]

14. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    :p @ you. :p

15. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
  16. AnakinPadmeSkywalker

AnakinPadmeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2003
    That was breathtaking. It even made me shed a few tears..Amazing!

17. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I quirked my eyebrows at the end, and i had a funny little grin on my face. A good reaction? 8-} :D

Aw, the stuff of melancholy. I just love Ani/Ami stories :D Such a tragic couple, even if its more so in idea than in the actual movies...

:::does not like the way GL handles A/A relationship:::

Anywho... :)

Beta-schmata, oba, it was a lovely, wistful piece all on its own. Very fun. I adore stories like this, and i love the idea of Anakin carrying on in Amidala's memory.

::Windstar Out::

18. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    A lovely fic, oba. It was so bittersweet, and touching to see how Anakin was going to try to carry on Padmé's legacy. I especially liked the part about her whispers in his ear. Great job! :D

19. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    AnakinPadmeSkywalker: Thank you. [face_blush] *hands tissue* :p

Bri: Um, that's an okay reaction. ;) It's meant to just be kind of . . . weird? :p Wistful and tragic. Two words you used - I think you're right. ;) *babbles* :p Thanks! :D

LianaMara: Thanks! :D I wasn't sure about the last part - it seemed to be really weird - but eh, I included it anyway. :p I thought it'd be interesting if Anakin continued Padme's legacy rather than turn and murder her killers. Not that it was something I'd thought of before, it just kind of came when I wrote it. 8-}

[/end_babbling]

20. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    This was very beautiful. I must say that I love the title in reference to it- just haunting. To think that Padme's death could result in Anakin staying to the light, as opposed to her death being a catalyst for his fall is truly interesting. And I loved the relationship between him and Obi-Wan.

Nice Job! I would really be interested in your feedback on my 1st Ani/Ami vignette, The Will of the Force, if you've got the time. :)

21. LadyAnakinSkywalker

LadyAnakinSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 6, 2001
    This was a beautiful story. I believe the tears starting welling up around this line:

Those losses stay with us, are quiet whispers on our shoulders, reminding us of our grief and our reason for going on.

Simply amazing, you're a fantastic writer!

22. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    RebelScum77: Well, who knows how it turns out, but I thought it could have very well gone the other way. Actually, this fic started out as me just wanting to write something dreamy about clouds. :p I'll try to stop by your fic, but as a note, it's generally not done to advertise your fics on other people's thread - not without telling them first, anyway. :p

LadyAnakinSkywalker: [face_blush] Thank you. :D Thanks a ton! :D

23. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    This story was accepted at the Archive. :)

Uppin' because I'm :D .

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.