main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Unrequited **04/01/03**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Herman Snerd, Jun 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Hey I want more posts!

2. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Jaina Solo was still more than a little miffed by the time she reached New Republic Intelligence HQ. Although her sense of having been wronged was still as strong as before, her mother?s chastisement still burned in her ears. So it was understandable that the young woman didn?t exactly leave a trail of happy faces in her wake as she cut a path through the bureaucratic layers of secretaries and middle managers to get into the office of the Director of NRI, Farx Leiter. It didn?t help when she was ushered into the middle of a meeting between the Director and someone she already knew very well.

?Hello Jaina. I didn?t expect you to react this quickly,? Jedi Master Luke Skywalker said from his seat in front of the Director?s desk. If Jaina Solo had been holding out any hope that she could cajole her uncle into changing his mind, it fled instantly at the sound of his voice. Worse yet, Luke hadn?t even turned to look at her before he spoke.

?Why me?? Jaina asked petulantly, not knowing exactly how to begin. ?Can?t somebody else do this??

?Ms. Solo, won?t you please have a seat,? the Director offered, gesturing to the empty seat next to the one in which Luke sat. Wishing she could walk back out of the room, Jaina?s pride spurred her forward to the indicated chair. After she was seated, Jaina threw the Director a quick smile as thanks for his kindness in including her in this discussion as an equal. That same smile withered and died when she turned to look at her uncle.

Before she?d left her mother?s office, Jaina had never considered defying one of Uncle Luke?s wishes, and as she looked around that imposing room, she began to wish she?d left that untainted streak alone. It was one thing to think the Jedi Master was wrong for what he?d done, but it would be something else entirely to sit in his company and say so. So instead of speaking up immediately, Jaina spent those first few tense moments wondering why the Director kept such uncomfortable chairs in his office.

?Thank you for coming so quickly Ms. Solo. As Master Skywalker already indicated, we weren?t expecting anyone to respond quite so promptly,? Director Leiter began, dividing his attention between the two Jedi before him.

?I came as soon as I heard,? Jaina said flatly, struggling to recover some of the ire she?d had when she entered.

?Yes. Well anyway, just a moment ago Master Skywalker and I were discussing how we were going to integrate the Jedi Knights in with our Intelligence officers. We both feel it would be best to combine talents by having you work in pairs. Perhaps it?s fortuitous that you have arrived, I?m interested in hearing your thoughts on this.?

?Partners?? Jaina asked incredulously. As far as she was concerned, her current situation had just gone from bad to worse.

?Precisely,? the Director confirmed, apparently glad that Jaina was catching on. ?In light of some recent events we?ve concluded that we need to make some changes in our methods of gathering information.?

?What recent events are you referring to,? Jaina asked. Rather than answer himself, the Director cast a questioning look at Luke.

?Three weeks ago Mara and I stumbled across a plot to assassinate the Chief of State. Using that knowledge, New Republic Intelligence was able to arrest those sent to carry out the mission before there was any real danger. What troubles us is the accidental nature of our discovery. This plan was well thought out and almost flawlessly executed. In the future, we can?t afford the luxury of depending on dumb luck to safeguard the lives of our leaders. Therefore, I decided that it might be necessary to augment the current intelligence gathering forces with Jedi Knights. After all, we have ?advantages? not available to the ordinary intelligence agent.?

?There are some, however, who are concerned that this intervention by the Jedi could eventually lead to the NRI becoming dependent on the Jedi Order, or possibly even controlled by them? Director Leiter continued. ?This is why every Jedi Knight assigned to us will have a par

3. Jedi Master Nejaa Halcyon

Jedi Master Nejaa Halcyon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2000
    Amazing post Herman...
    I really like the descriptions of the characters feelings... can't wait for more :p

4. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Yes! A post! Like always, superb work Hermie!

5. womp_rat208

womp_rat208 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    LOL, when I first saw the name Farx Leiter, I translated it to Felix Leiter, one of James Bond's American liasons. ;)

Luke's favorite niece? Don't you mean, only? ;)

That post had some excellent discriptions in it. Keep up the work!

6. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Hey womp_rat208, good catch there.

I figured that with a story involving spying, I just had to 'borrow' something from 007. :)

7. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    OoOOooo nice post Hermie! Poor Jaina, Uncle Lukie probably thinks he's doing her a favor.. :D :D post more soon!!!

8. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    Wonder who her partner is....

Great post!

9. starwarsfan1000

starwarsfan1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2000
  10. womp_rat208

Nov 8, 1999
    So it was supposed to be Felix Leiter? Cool. ;)

11. Jedi-Jade

Jedi-Jade Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 1999
    Hey great post! Here are some more cupcakes? So where's the next post?

12. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Great post, Herman. :)

13. Maeve Nadia

Maeve Nadia Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2000
    Very cool, Herman!

14. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    That's right womprat.

For catching that reference you get a
    [image=http://www.kesselmedia.com/iconscans/goldstar.gif]

15. Jedi-Jae

Jedi-Jae Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2001
    Intriguing start, Herman! I don't usually read NJO stories, but you've really caught my attention.

16. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Good post! :)

17. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Waiting for more. Who's the partner?

18. womp_rat208

Nov 8, 1999
    Hey, I got a gold star. :D

So, when's the next post?

19. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    Ah, so refreshing to see Luke asserting his authority a little bit by not taking any guff off of Jania.

"...Jaina spent those first few tense moments wondering why the Director kept such uncomfortable chairs in his office." I just LOVE that line! :D

20. IellaWessiriNRI

IellaWessiriNRI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2001
  21. Artemis

Artemis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2000
    Yay for the Falcon's entrance, yay for that chair line, yay for all the lovely characterization, and yay for Herman for posting another story! The whip is cracking and cupcakes are being offered -- so get this done before we die of suspense over your durn opening cliffhanger!

I have a guess who dies, but it's probably too obvious. I really like this new occupation for the Jedi. I had some other comment, but I forgot. You should repost your older stories!

I'm rambling! I should go to sleep! ttfn, and I'm looking forward to the next installment!!

22. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    *Offers brownies along with the cupcakes* Anything to make you post more, and soon! This story's got me hooked; I can't wait to see who dies... Let's see. If they're putting the Jedi in pairs, it could still be Jacen or Zekk... or Ganner, Kyp, Corran, ummm... Ooh, please let it be Kyp! Die, Kyp, die! Um. Anyway. Yeah. Post more soon!

23. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    Hey Artemis, want to start a campaign to get Herman to repost "Journey's End"? :D

Hmmm. Herman's not posting for cupcakes or brownies. How about Oreos...

24. womp_rat208

Nov 8, 1999
    How about a nice, big, cheesy pizza? I know that'd get me going. :D

25. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Will Post For Beer

I seem to be posting every other day, so unless I reall get cooking or get behind, that's probably what you should expect.

Before the Director could say anything further, the comm unit on his desk chimed. While he took the call from his assistant, Jaina wondered about this dubious ?honor? that was being bestowed upon her. From where she sat it felt more like a punishment. It had taken some time, but she had finally gotten past some of the resentment a few of her fellow Rogues had initially had at her becoming a part of their unit. To them, Jaina?s abilities were attributed to her affinity with the Force rather than any inborn talent as a pilot, and now it seemed that just when she?d come to be accepted as part of the group, it was all being taken away from her.

?If you two will excuse me for a moment, it seems there?s a bit of paperwork that requires my attention.?

The door slid silently shut behind the Director, and for almost a minute there wasn?t a sound in the office. During that time, Luke Skywalker studied his niece, who was doing her best to nonchalantly avoid his gaze. Finally tiring of waiting, Luke broke the uneasy silence.

?Why don?t you just go ahead and say it Jaina??

?It?s not fair!? Jaina shot back at the invitation. ?I was finally making a name for myself, all on my own, before you had me dragged back here.?

?This assignment is important. You weren?t doing anything that couldn?t be interrupted,? Luke answered calmly. Fortunately for Luke, he was immune to the daggers Jaina shot him with her eyes.

?How can you say that? Rogue Group is the premier fighter group in the entire New Republic Navy. We take assignments no one else can handle and fly home without a scratch on us. If Rogue Group isn?t important, maybe you should use your influence to get us disbanded,? Jaina challenged.

?That wouldn?t be wise,? Luke countered. ?Rogue Group is too important to the security of the New Republic.?

?But you don?t think I?m important to Rogue Group,? Jaina finished for her uncle.

?Not as important as you are to us,? Luke clarified, leaving no question that the Jedi Order was the ?us? he was referring to. ?There are thousands of pilots for every Jedi Knight. The Rogues can replace you more easily than we can.?

?Why me?? Jaina asked, repeating the question that she?d asked when she first entered the Director?s office. ?Why not Jacen or Anakin??

?Your brother Jacen is about to undertake his first apprentice. Anakin is in the middle of an extensive course of advanced training. Which one of them would you ask to take your place??

?You make it sound like I?m being so selfish,? Jaina sullenly accused her uncle.

?Aren?t you?? Luke asked simply, yet forcefully. To further emphasize his point, Luke held Jaina in his stern gaze for a few uncomfortable moments before continuing. ?Service to others means more than just doing what you want.?

?Now you sound like my mother,? Jaina remarked.

?For the sake of argument I?ll assume you meant that as a compliment,? Luke replied with a half smile.

?I apologize for the interruption,? Director Leiter declared upon his return, which effectively ended Luke and Jaina?s discussion. ?I sometimes wonder how this place manages to function. Anyway, I believe before I left we were discussing how the Jedi Knights were going to work with our Intelligence officers.?

?You had mentioned us working in pairs,? Jaina reminded him.

?Yes. Well as it so happens the young man we had in mind to be your partner is here today. Would you like to meet him??

?That sounds like a great idea,? Luke interjected to head off the retort he sensed was brewing in the back of Jaina?s mind. Even though he knew she wouldn?t have said it, Luke decided that it was time Jaina began to accept her fate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.