main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Unsaid -- Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon one-post -- Monday Mush

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: Unsaid
    Author: ardavenport
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I, pre-TPM
    Genre: drama, mush
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn
    Keywords: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi code
    Summary: Obi-Wan learns a few of the subtleties and hard contradictions about the Jedi Code and the Council.
    Notes: Typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers do not catch being my speciality - if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters and the Star Wars universe belong to George and Lucasfilm; I am just playing in their sandbox.

The gorgeous orange sun set over the vast city-plain of Coruscant. High up on the balcony beneath the apex of the Council spire of the Jedi Temple, Obi-Wan Kenobi stared at the fiery primary star of the planet, dimmed and reddened by the atmosphere, half of if already sunken below the horizon line.

Leaning on the balcony's railing, he breathed in halting gasps and sobs. Finally alone, he could release his anguish and shame to the uncaring outside air. The endless streams of Coruscant air traffic that passed the Temple glided to and fro, unconcerned about one twenty year-old Jedi Padawan's tragedy.

He had known that this meeting with the Jedi Council would be difficult. But it had been far, far worse than he had thought. The displeasure and disappointed glares of the Council members, encircling him just moments ago, drove his grief. How could he have been so wrong? Ruined things so completely? Betrayed Qui-Gon so badly? How could be have doubted his Master's true intentions?

Looking down the long fall to the deeply shadowed durastone below, he thought about jumping. With nothing but rushing air, gravity and the Force around him that would blot out his misery as he focused only on guiding and slowing his descent to land on and slide down the outer wall of the Jedi Temple to its base. Perhaps running around the Temple's perimeter a few times would further distract him from the total shambles he had made of his last mission with his Master.

Tears still running down his face, he gripped the railing hard at the sound of footsteps approaching from behind. Qui-Gon.

The older man said nothing. He assumed a position at the balcony's railing on Obi-Wan's right, the orange last-light of day shining on his calm bearded face. Obi-Wan's eyes darted away, back to the diminishing disk of the sun, sinking lower and lower.

Stifling his sobs, he wiped his face and nose on the large sleeve of his Jedi robe.

"I have failed you, Master," he said, staring downward into the twilight shadows below, his voice unsteady.

"No," Qui-Gon immediately answered, strong and calm.

"I disobeyed you." This came out better, his voice less unsteady.

"You had ample reason to."

Wiping his nose again, he sniffled and then winced at the awful snorting sound he had just made. Obi-Wan looked up. Qui-Gon had turned away from the disappearing sun and now leaned on the railing, his arms folded over his chest.

"You were not wrong to act as you did, my Padawan."

"I ruined the negotiations. The Derivulian conflict will continue for months until the negotiators agree to reconvene again. Kasiak Uzeller has been permanently removed from them."

"Yes," Qui-Gon agreed, annoyingly calm and unemotional. "My attempt to influence her failed."

Some of Obi-Wan's misery transformed into anger at this colossal understatement.

"You were having sex with her in the alcove two minutes before the last session began!" Obi-Wan exclaimed.

"Ah," Qui-Gon nodded, apparently only slightly disturbed. "I was not sure if you were aware of that one. I was understandably preoccupied at the time. Though I was aware of your presence in the garden, the anteroom and the pantry. And under the bridge."

Obi-Wan turned away, but the sparkling lights of the city under the rapidly darkening sky were no escape from this compounded embarrassment and his Master's calm over the whole

2. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I'm going through an Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon obsession at the moment, so this 'fic is totally feeding my addiction. [:D]

It's nice to see a 'fic that explores the trickiness the Jedi face in trying to balance their morals with that of the greater good. It's a really tough issue, and I like that you let the conflict remain unresolved. There isn't a right or wrong answer, and I got the distinct impression that Qui-Gon didn't regret his actions, and that he would do it again if circumstances made it necessary, despite knowing that as a Jedi, he should be above such actions.

Or, maybe it can be looked at another way. Perhaps the struggle of being a Jedi is that by striving to maintain peace, they are burdened by the very methods that allow it to flourish.

:_| Either way, it makes me sad for them.

I'm sure you meant pantry, but the typo is all the more hilarious considering what exactly Qui-Gon was doing when he was in the pantry. Or should I say in the panty? [face_laugh]

There are a lot of things in the Jedi Code that are vague - purposely - about what a Jedi should and shouldn't do. A lot of Force powers like mind control are just as murky as straight up seduction. But the Jedi still use their powers, though they are only supposed to do so for the greater good and not for personal gain. Kind of like Qui-Gon here (though I bet sleeping with the minister was a lot more fun than merely planting commands in her mind :p ).

Great job! =D=

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, um, my my. [face_blush] [face_laugh]

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    'By any mean available,' I was to influence her to advocate for peace.

:eek: :eek:

Well then, Qui can "influence" me anytime!

I'm glad he and Obi were able to have an open conversation about the mission and the Jedi Code.

It's always wonderful to see how close they were

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Obi-Wan winced. He had heard and glimpsed much than he ever wanted to. Then he grinned, wondering what penance the Minister would demand if she could.

"She could come to Coruscant to inquire after you."

"Then," Qui-Gon said with a worried grimace, "I shall be very glad that the walls of the Jedi Temple are very tall and thick."

They walked inside together.

Loved it! =D=

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Marvelously written viggie about moral connundrums and the tricky balance between the said and unsaid and token disciplines :p I can totally understand Qui's influence on the minister... he could totally have that on me also [face_laugh] :)

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice mush with your usual very enjoyable twists and turns and great descriptions.

Loved it=D==D=

8. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Good job! Great portrayal of Obi and Qui's bond.

9. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    ah the joys and tribulations of plausible deniability!

masterful little vig!

10. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    *blink* Um, uh... *blink* :D That was so totally in character for both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Leave it to Obi-Wan to blame himself for doing the right thing. That's my boy! :p

11. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    :eek: [face_hypnotized] Oh my, that's... that's....

The things Jedi do to help others :eek: :D

Still, even if Qui-Gon seems pretty comfortable with what he had been *not* asked to do and mostly regretted that he hadn't been allowed to inform Obi-Wan, I'd like to give the Councilmembers a good, hard kick! (On the other hand, speaking of double standards, I wouldn't mind being influenced by Qui-Gon in this way at all [face_love] )

I can see why Obi-Wan is troubled with it all, but in essence he did nothing wrong and I'm glad Qui-Gon was there to point that out to him :)

=D= =D= Another great story around an important question: how far should a Jedi (be asked to) go in order to get a job done that can save many lives?

12. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Wow, that's a very powerful moment between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. The Code is not crystal clear, is it? I loved their conversation. Great work!

13. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    Hmm, what was that Jedi council thinking. :eek:

And it must be very frustrating to have a master who can remain calm in the face of anything. Poor Obi-Wan.

This was perfect

Obi-Wan turned away, but the sparkling lights of the city under the rapidly darkening sky were no escape from this compounded embarrassment and his Master's calm over the whole disaster. He thought about jumping again.

[face_laugh] I loved it.

14. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    That'll teach the Council not to keep secrets from Obi-Wan.
    They should know by now that he keeps his eyes on his Master at all times.:D

I bet his face was red.[face_blush]

=D=

15. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    .......oh dear, I'm quite behind on replying to replies.......

Inara, Valairy_Scot, KELIA, VaderLVR64, Jade_eyes, earlybird-obi-wan, TheMacUnleashed, ratna, p_stotts, Seremela, ginchy, azizah, Gkilkenny: Thanks for reading and replying!

With mind powers, it's inevitable that there might be some cases that are questionable even if the goal is noble -- but the Jedi would likely go for the choice that would lead to the greatest good. And Qui-Gon would be just the Jedi they would send on such a mission. And the Jedi Council should have knows that at a very young age that Obi-Wan was a more 'mature' Jedi than his master at an early age. :p But they still are a great team. :)

applause

16. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    I had read this on the other board some time ago, but I don't remember it gripping me this emotionally then. Obi-Wan's despair at "failing" his Master just made me feel for him.

Quite the interesting unspoken command by the temple...poor Obi-Wan came upon a shocking revelation, didn't he? [face_blush]

Loved this..=D=

17. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    obimom: Thanks for the comments! I sort of think of this one as being about Obi-Wan learning the 'Facts of Life' about the Jedi Council, that they will do some dirty deeds if they think it's for the greater good, but they will still cover their tracks about doing it. And Qui-Gon will do the dirty deeds for them, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.