main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Untitled BioWare Project

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It also feels better because it is bigger. In DA2 you have Kirkwall and a few small surrounding areas. There are only about 3 different dungeons that are reused over and over again. DA:eek: scales the entire country of Ferelden and includes 2 major cities with multiple districts but also a half dozen villages and many other points of interest. You can't deny that DA:eek: is a bigger game. While that's not automatically a requirement for a better game in this case it certainly helps.

2. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Hmm. To take a step back here, I make the distinction between locations that look the same and locations that are in actual fact the same place.

They reused the same cave model over and over again (and made it 'different' by blocking off different paths each time) and from a technical point of view they "are" the same cave, but from a storytelling/location POV, they're not. It's a different place that mysteriously looks the same as some other place. Is this lazy development - yes, absolutely, and BioWare rightly copped a lot of flak for it. They shouldn't have done it; they should have taken six months more and crafted different maps, and hopefully that's what they'll do next time.

So ... with that in mind, I have a gut feeling that DA2 had the same number of distinct (story-wise) locations as DA:eek:. I don't have the numbers to prove it one way or another, though.

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    [image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/darthcolin/Dragon-Age-II-Box-Art1.jpg]
    Coming soon from EA

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Leto, yes I'm the one taking it seriously. Because I'm the one whose got all the emotion. With posts like:

It's because BioWare removed some item-crafting and skill-trees that certain hardliner RPG nerds out there have proclaimed it to be the "W0R$T GaME E\/AR!!111!1!!". People who confuse "role-playing" with "ROLL-playing," in other words. Frankly, every time I read some of those so-called "complaints" on other forums, my bitchslap-hand starts trembling.

Or gems like:

I wasn't referring to you, but to other folks on other boards who simply get butthurt because they couldn't craft ninety different unique types of poisons and traps, or what-have-you.

Oh, wait, no that's you, guy.

Not doing the quest at all is hardly a "different outcome." Also you disappear from Kirkwall regardless of outcome. You fight the qunari regardless, with the only difference being whether you convince the Arishok to leave or kill him. The fighting your party members thing was kinda cool actually, so I don't have a complaint with that.
    Eh. I don't think you were following the conversation. I was in response to Leto, who was attacking those who criticized DA2 and calling them all butthurt rpg fanatics.

5. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Well, he's right and you're not.

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Someone needs to grow a sense of the deadpan. As most anyone who knows me around on these boards over the past 13 years (I've been here since November, 1998; pre-January, 2000 Snowboards crash) is aware, my posts are frequently tongue-in-cheek, and I sometimes dispense with the use of emoticons. As I obviously did during the two posts above which you cite. Evidently, that aspect didn't come through very clearly.

To me, despite being a hardcore role-player for the past 25 years (both tabletop and PC), this is simply a hobby at the end of the day, and this, likewise, is a discussion which ultimately doesn't have enough fuel to outlive the sun. I stand by my initial points, but as they were already clearly caveated right from the very start as not being directed at anyone specific to this particular forum, I see no further need to make apologies for anything. If you get offended by something as trifling as that, I don't quite know what to say, here.

It's real easy to buy high-horses cheap on the Internet...the real question is, how do you choose to ride them? [face_peace]

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Will they have an updated roster and slight graphical tweaks?

8. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    No, but it'll probably have multiplayer.

*grabs popcorn*

9. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I heard about that today. I didn't even realise that DA3 had been announced! :oops:

Oh well, it's too early to tell what it'll be like, but being able to play a dragon does sound pretty epic, even if the rest of it is meh.

10. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    If it is a multiplayer game, so what? BioWare's been doing them since the Baldur's Gate PC days. Hell, one of the things I loved about Neverwinter Nights was the ability to craft brand-new environments, and then adventure in them with online companions. Very robust.

And even if it is a strict hack-'n-slash PvP action-killfest, big whoop -- the turn-based RPG series is already so graphically bloody and violent that this is only the next logical iteration of the franchise. Whenever your party makes camp for the night, it's always atop a pile of gushing corpses. Couple this with the Frostbite 2 engine, and I'm already sporting a decent half-chub.

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    You're right, Leto, it's how you ride them. You were perfectly content to post paragraphs of your opinion, and then when someone posts a rebuttal, you get your panties in a bunch and start off on "why you take this so seriously." You need some practice riding that horse.

Also, the "people who know me know I'm not serious" excuse doesn't work, fyi. Backtracking is a no-no.

Oh. Well that ends that. I bow at your ability to make such reasoned arguments.

12. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Whatever, guy...whatever.

Taste and opinion, Vivec...taste and opinion. By your own line of reasoning, because you don't like anchovies on your pizza, everyone else who does is somehow "wrong," instead of simply having different tastes.

And you seem especially eager to enforce that opinion on the rest of the forum. Why, I can't say exactly. It's peculiar, though. You're only coming across as very insecure and yappydog-aggressive.

Like I said -- I stand by my points. You're the one who's spoiling for a fight, not me. I've got nothing to prove, here. Why keep this up?

13. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    OK I think that's enough Dragon Age II talk, you know where to go if you want to continue it. This thread will focus on BioWare's new upcoming project or it gets locked.

14. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Just a reminder that the trailer will be shown on the Spike Video Game Awards, which air December 10th at 8:00pm ET. Or you can just watch it online five minutes later.

15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I can't wait for the trailer. It might give us something to actually talk about and hopefully some details about the game.

16. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
  17. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    [image=http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/tumblr_l9lgi6vkKr1qzx2fh.gif]

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, it's no more or less plausible than any other war game's plot these days.

That's not a compliment, incidentally.

19. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    I'm torn.

On one hand, this appears to be the intersection of my two favourite game franchises, RTS games and BioWare RPGs.

On the other hand, I can't think of a good way to combine RTS games and BioWare RPGs.

20. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
  21. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I was expecting very little and am still disappointed.

22. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
  23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm not a PC gamer, but considering how wonky RTS games are on console that's probably for the best.

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Pretty much this.

That's it for me when it comes to Bioware. I'll get ME3 and that's that; but unless I see something really awesome about this, it'll probably be a pass.

25. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Command and Conquer Generals was a truly wonderful game, for those of you who never played it, you should know that it spawned the magnificent Pure Pwnage.

I am so excited about this. There hasn't been a massive PC exclusive game (that isn't an MMO) like this for ages, and Bioware are no strangers to games with a lot of tactical, strategic depth (RE: Dragon Age Origins), so yay.