main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Untitled J.J. Abrams Production (1-18-08) (aka Cloverfield)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by The2ndQuest , Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    This fantastic one-hell-of-a teaser was attached to Transformers, and I must say it certainly got teh audience talking, followed by confusion at the lack of a title being given on screen, to questions of "What was that?", to which I replied, "That was called 'Getting Your Attention'". ::)

Apparently there's some viral teaser sites floating around out there, Seems there's various rumors about what this seemingly Blair-Witch-meets-movie-monster-attacks-NYC handheld movie is about, from a Godzilla-esque monster to Cthulu-inspired creatures, though it seems whatever it is is shown entirely through the normal person's POV of events via hand held video camera.

Hopefully it'll be up online after this weekend.

2. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I've been to all the marketing sites for this and solved all of the puzzles at http://www.ethanhaaswasright.com. So far I'm definitely intrigued by this movie, but also very worried. With all of the hype surrounding it it had better be spectacular. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of The Blair Witch Project or the shaky cam method that it and "Cloverfield" uses. I hope it has a great plot and excellent special effects.

3. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    I haven't seen this trailer yet, but I've been hearing about all this buzz.

One small concern of mine:

What's with the January release date? That month is usually the graveyard/dumping ground for movies that Hollywood knows are crap. This can't be good. :eek:

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I'm thinking its the Godzilla sequel. I mean, the first one ended with the last egg hatching.

5. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Um has anyone thought of trying to film this trailer in the theatre? I mean jebus its obvious it aint going to be released online.

6. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    It's been done. The clip was on YouTube for a while, until Paramount lawyers ordered it down. But if you visit some other, less-policed YouTube-like sites, I wager you'll find it. Though it's not much. It may work in a theater, I'm not sure, but it's just not much of anything on a computer.

People on another site made a pretty interesting argument for this to be Cthulhu-related. I think that'd be pretty cool.

-Paul

7. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    I'd nerdgasm over a cthulhu film. That would be brilliant.

8. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Yeah, the vesions that were on YouTube allowed you to get the picture, but they were pretty bad quality. Like I had no idea that the block of debris that falls onto the street was the head of the Statue of Liberty until I read descriptions. It just looked like a dark mass of something.

I'm hoping they'll put it up online soon enough...

9. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Ok I just watched it online through Stage 6, not bad quality could just about tell that it was the statue of liberty. I have to agree with you darth_paul, it doesn't look much on a computer but I would have gone mad with excitement if I saw it in the cinema.

Edit: I have to say if they are filming the entire movie on hand held camera's (like there is a rumour going about says) then to come up with effects like this... [image=http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/7458/cloverfieldcn8.jpg] that match the camera movement is pretty incredible.

Edit2: Oh I also heard the rumour that when they sent out a message for actors there was no script or anything just simply something like "Do you want to be in this movie or not."

Edit3: Here's the official site... http://www.1-18-08.com/ or at least something which looks like it could be official. :p

10. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

This may be a good movie ? I have no way of knowing. However, I've got to say, if the movie is anything like the trailer I'll give it a pass. Honestly, if a trailer's job is to create interest in a movie, that trailer failed miserably. I didn't notice that no title was given, and I sat through it twice ? didn't even bother looking to see what movie was being promoted.

11. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    That's the point. It's a great use of viral marketing; talk about the film has already spread across the Internet, and the fact that it doesn't even have a name makes it all the more intriguing. It's something to watch out for, if only to work out what it is.

12. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/hd/

[/drool]

13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Whatever this movie is about, I just hope it's not part of an existing franchise. I'd really like to see more originality in Hollywood.

14. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    That does look like fun. Good teaser trailer, that's for sure. It doesn't really tell you anything, but leaves you wanting and needing to see more. [face_hypnotized]

15. DVCPRO-HDeditor

DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2006
    I'm hoping for something Lovecraftian . . . . [face_devil]

16. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Having a boring, uninteresting trailor with bad camera work, no points that are remotely grabbing (a major city getting wrecked? Gee, what a novel idea that really makes me want to rush out to see it), is the point? M'ok. I'm sorry, I didn't see anything remotely interesting in the trailer - like I said, I didn't even notice the lack of title. I opened this thread wondering what J.J. Abrams was working on, and was like "That thing? You've got to be kidding."

17. Master_SweetPea

Master_SweetPea Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Godzilla?
    Gamera?
    Cthulhu?
    but i'd really like to see
    Ultraman!

if it was Godzilla then shouldn't the people know what's happening?
    The "He's going to Japan" thing would be a big clue though...
    What about the "Main Dude" references, does that mean anything to anyone?

18. Private-Caboose

Private-Caboose Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2007
    Maybe a freaky sequel to The Big Lebowski? :p

19. Master_SweetPea

Master_SweetPea Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Slushois somehow related, look closely and one of the guys is wearing a slusho t-shirt, read the "history" on the Slusho site and it tells of the secret ingredient from the sea,
    this sounds like Godzilla, Gamera, or Lovecraft type monster...getting more and more interesting

20. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Read it. Don't get the connection. Could you explain further?

This is the reason I have trouble watching anime. The Asian sense of humor and storytelling usually (but not always) makes about as much sense to me as "Yellow Submarine". It's like their doing acid or something. I am sure it makes sense to others, however.

21. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Edit: Sorry, wrong topic.

22. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    I thought it was 4 "Star Trek".

23. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Yeah I thought he was doing Star Trek next

24. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    [image=http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/6968/shirtsv3.jpg]

Apparently Slusho was a drink given to Jenifer Garner's character in an episode of ALIAS or something like that.
    (Another JJ Abrams production) ;)

25. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Fruity oaty bars? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.