main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Untitled J.J. Abrams Production (1-18-08) (aka Cloverfield)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by The2ndQuest , Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Lost

2. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001

3. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002

Interesting that they call it a science-fiction manster movie, instead of just "monster movie", or thriller, or horror. There's been some discussion on the Cloverfield ARG board that the monster could be an alien, instead of a mutated earth critter.

4. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I'm not sure there's much to be gained by the movie's getting into a lot of backstory or explanation of where the monster comes from or why. I mean, there are movies where that kind of thing would be fine, but what they've shown us so far doesn't give me the vibe that this is that kind of movie. I think they're more likely, and probably better off, just to give us a monster, maybe to have the characters wonder/speculate a little bit, and never really to give an answer.

-Paul

5. I_AM_GEEK

I_AM_GEEK Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2004
    AICN has got 5 mins of the film.

Well its everywhere but I found it there.

Its basically the end of robs party/ when the monster attacks first

Lots of footage from the tailer, but in order now.

The glimpse of the monster from the trailer is in here so when the army are shooting in the trailer it must be more visable.

Its pretty good stuff:-B

6. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
    Awsome. I think that this film is going to rock. At least my world. ;)

7. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    This so-called "glimpse" of the monster is too quick and too shrouded in smoke for me to get a bead on it. Can anyone describe the creature as they see it? I'm left imagining it looks like that huge walking thing in THE MIST.

8. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002
    Exclusive five minute preview.

http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/475a0f5f7f2007c8/4761abfc6ea1d571

One little dirty word at the beginning, for those of you at work!

9. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    We've seen most of this footage before, but all together it looks pretty good. I am impressed, and the shaky cam is not too much for me at all.

10. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002
    I was most worried about how the hand held footage would work. Blair Witch's camera work was terrible. I had a headache after that one. Much better job here, if the whole movie is like the clip.

11. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
  12. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=z5L0ONRklDA

Go to the above address, and you may be looking at the actual Cloverfield monster.

I am not kidding. Seriously. This is an actual possible picture that may have leaked.

13. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    ^ ^ ^ If that's the Cloverfield monster, I think I may just give the movie a pass after all.

14. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I think it would look better on screen.

15. I_AM_GEEK

Oct 5, 2004
    its 90% not likely the monster.

The image comes from the art director of cloverfield's website from a gallery section

He was emailed by one of the guys an Unfiction and said the monsters image is unlikely to be leaked.

Not oh yeah its in my gallery LOLZ.

What you really need to be loking at is the fake news reports regarding an oil rig sinking in the atlantic most are on youtube,
    and each one is in a different language french, german, russian, spanish, english, japanese. I'd link but theres loads of them and I cant be bothered:p

If you search "Chuai" on youtube then sort by date added you can see all the vids.

EDIT: theres also a new pic on the 1-18-08.com

I just think its there to confirm that these reprts are in game for the ARG:cool:

16. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002
    Boy, everybody looooves that picture! It's from a video game. I'm the one that first found Peter Konig, and found he was designing the monster. That was... about two and a half weeks ago. And that pic from the portfolio has shown up on a dozen different websites and god knows how many threads and youtube videos.

IT'S A LION!! IT'S HUGE!

17. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    The monster depicted in that image is uninspired and underwhelming. I'm glad to read that the rumor of its involvement with Cloverfield is false.

18. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Me, too. I suppose that creature would look better on screen but I'm happy it isn't the creature in Cloverfield.

19. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    Oh well. . .

I fell for it.

I thought for sure that they would not have been able to hide it this long, and that, we would have had a clear picture of the creature by now.

I'm impressed that they have been able to keep this hidden for this long.

20. loki41872

Dec 13, 2002
    I got 2 emails responses from Peter Konig, before he realized I was asking him questions that could make him reveal something (Like "Did you also do the smaller monsters?").

In his second email he said this project was locked down tighter than any he's worked on before, and he could quarentee that there would be NO leaked images of the monster before 1-15-08 (The advanced screening).

Anybody that says they have a pic of the monster is full of it.

21. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm impressed as well. In today's world it's hard to keep anything completely secret. Personally, I'm going to do my best to see the film without having previously seen the monster.

22. I_AM_GEEK

Oct 5, 2004
    HUGE SPOILERS ROLL OVER TO READ

SLUSHO AND TAGRUATO ARE NOT MENTIONED ONCE.
    NO ONE EVEN SAYS THESE WORDS.

NO ONE DRINKS SLUSHO OR MENTIONS IT.

Although, people congratulate rob about his Vice President position, but they DO NOT say "Slusho vice president" or anything like that. They just know he's got a job in Japan.

SLUSHO DOESN'T MAKE PEOPLE EXPLODE

The Tagruato logo on the tanker is only noticeable to people who know where to look (i.e. people on this forum will kinda see it).

Jamie's in the movie for maybe 2-3 seconds (at Rob's party), she's passed out on the couch, so she doesn't even say a single word.

Here's something pretty odd:

The events DO NOT take place on January 18th
    The going away party/monster attack take place from MAY 22nd to the morning of MAY 23rd (ENDS EXACTLY AT 6:42AM). The year is unknown.

Technically, the movie "begins" APRIL 27th at 6:42AM with Rob filming Beth the morning after they had sex in her father's apartment (her dad was gone). Rob and Beth discuss going to coney island because Beth's never been, idiotically, hud doesn't swap tapes and films over this intimate day with the events of May 22-23, so scenes from April 27th intermittently cut in and out of the movie
    The ironic thing is that the film starts with Rob filming the view of central park exactly at 6:42 AM and ends with Rob and Beth possibly, but most certainly, dying 6:42 AM in central park.

At first, I thought the dates were a typo (like, when you don't properly set the date/time on a camera) but in Rob's final speech, he acknowledges the date of May 23rd.

The monster isn't green, it's grey.
    -It has 4 legs and 2 really small, crab-like legs on it's torso (the crab legs might've been vestigial).
    -It's approx. 30-40 stories tall (Rob/Lil/Hud climb up Beth's building (59th floor) where she is impaled on some metal thing, after saving her, they see the monster walking down the street, monster is significantly shorter than 50 stories).
    -It's front "arms" are "backwards" (as if you're elbows protruded in front of you) The arms are pretty long.
    -It has 3 LONG fingers on each hand (like, index finger middle finger and thumb.
    -Has 2 back legs, walks upright, but it appears that the front "arms" are significantly longer than the back legs.
    -Has a long tail.
    -Human-like head.
    -Has these 2 red, puffing (possibly lungs) lobes on it's head. It's jaw looks like a bulldog (where it's "fangs" are over it's lips)

The hazmat people are NOT tagruato (well, no Tag logo other than the tanker is shown throughout the entire movie).

The little monsters look nearly identical to the black/yellow bugs from starship troopers, but they're between knee and waist height.

Jason dies pretty quickly into the movie (the bridge scene). Then Marlena dies from the little monster (here's something frustrating, while in the subway Lil/Rob/Hud/Marlena are ALL attacked by the little monsters but only Marlena is bitten. Seems like a writers flaw that only marlena was bitten)

The monster's origins ARE NOT explained, although Hud makes some comedic minor speculations throughout the movie.
    Hud actually provided some decent comedic relief throughout the movie as well.

23. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005

Based on this, the movie sounds very disappointing. I sounds like MTV's THE REAL WORLD MEETS GODZILLA WANABEE.

I guess my point of frustration is this. What is the point of this movie? Most of the time, creators have a reason for creating someting. What purpose does this movie serve; even if its just to indulge some childhood fantasy of the creator?

Has anyone said what significance this movie has?

I'm so sick of this pretentious pseudo-reality and/or real-time crap. I like it for video games, but not for movies.

I liked the first Blair Witch film, but I went into that not knowing who the actors were; thinking that this MIGHT not be staged. Also, being alone in the dark in the woods with freaky noises is a real life fear that many of us have.

With this film, I'm going into it KNOWING 100%

24. I_AM_GEEK

Oct 5, 2004
    AICN(bad words in review) has reviewed it.

Harry loves it says its great, awsome, redefines the genre ect.

:)

25. Tatooine_native

Tatooine_native Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2003
    I haven't read any of the spoilers yet, so my opinion might change after I see it. I was rather intrigued at the trailer, but if it does turn out to be something like, as JediPrettyBoy posted above, Real World meets Godzilla, it will be quite disappointing. And what I find annoying are the clips of some of the destruction that goes on. (I'll highlight the rest for those avoiding images, although I don't think it would be considered a spoiler.) The clip of the Empire State Building (I think it's that building) crumbling, people screaming and running inside a shop as we see the dust cloud rush by - we've seen that, it's happened for real, people in New York ran from that for real on 9/11. What's the point of it being in the movie? I know a big monster is going to destroy big buildings, and falling buildings are going to look similar to 9/11 images, but that clip seems too similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.