main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Untitled J.J. Abrams Production (1-18-08) (aka Cloverfield)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by The2ndQuest , Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    Seriously... What are you people expecting from this thing?!? It's a giant monster movie and you seem to expect Oscar gold... It is whatever it is...

D_M_S_L

2. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    I just don't want it to be teenie bopperish like Melrose Place, etc with these single quasi-adults who are so self-absorbed that they come across as having the mentality of a 16 year old.

3. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
  4. Cellist

Cellist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2003
    So, has anyone seen it yet?

5. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I thought it was great. Very intense, but funny and enjoyable as well.

6. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I just saw it, and I thought it was decent, but I have mixed feelings about it. I thought that the method they filmed it in was very unique, but what really threw me was the lack of music. It made the movie much more eerie and strange.

When the monsters appeared in the tunnel I was very freaked, and the big monster was so strange. The little oones I found almost scarier than the giant one, and those looked like giant fanged octopusses. The large one kinda like a combination between a crab and a lizard, very different. I did like the humorous lines in the movie, but all together I found Cloverfield very different. And it was the first monster movie I've seen where the monster killed everyone and still survived at the end.

7. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    I'm seeing this on Sunday. Has there been any pictures released of the monster? And if not, what does it look like?

8. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Here is some fan art pictures of the Cloverfield monster that is fairly accurate to the real thing.

9. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    Good film. The little ones are scarier than the big one; except for what happens to the cameraman at the end.

My only grip was this...

This was a Paramount Picture and...

NO INDY 4 TRAILER!!!!!

10. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Yeah but we got the Star Trek teaser, so **** yeah! :D

11. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    I saw the midnight showing of this the other night. It was pretty dope, not super scary, but definitely had me on the edge of my seat all night. A lot of emotions coming out of this one, my hat goes off for JJ and crew.

12. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I went into it thinking it would be decent, but wouldn't live up to the hype. But now that I've seen it... wow! It goes above and beyond the hype. My mouth was hanging open for like the last 20 minutes of the movie...

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Great movie! Very intense- the humor was very natural, and it just really achieved putitng you in the moment (that dash into the subway during the military attack as the monster pops down at them was an utterly fantastic sequence), and yet avoids the confusion that Blair Witch caused half the time. They also managed to sting together some great pieces rather naturally- the subway tunnel, the leaning building, etc.

I love that the camera guy's name is HUD- his lines were pretty funny too- the aforementioned "also terrible" bit killed.

The ending IS a little abrupt, but if you think about the opening title cards, it pretty much tells you there's only 2 or 3 ways the movie is gonna end, and all of them would be abrupt.

EDIT- It seems Cloverfield pulled in 18.25 million on friday alone, which puts it on track to top the current January openinbg record held by ANH: SE.

Also, there's some hints about a sequel:

Meanwhile at the premiere of "Cloverfield" earlier in the week, director Matt Reeves was asked by Bloody Disgusting about the rumors that a sequel is already being planned. Reeves responded "Only time will tell. While we were on set making the film we talked about the possibilities and directions of how a sequel can go. The fun of this movie was that it might not have been the only movie being made that night, there might be another movie! In today's day and age of people filming their lives on their iphones and handy cams, uploading it to youtube...That was kind of exciting thinking about that."

Wow, imagine if this thing ends up being a few movies of different POVs with each adding a different piece to the puzzle? Amazingly wwesone if it pans out...

14. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    Explanations about the creature, where it came from, why it exist, etc, are what sequels are for.

Other people have cameras too. We could get another POV from someone else's camera; maybe even the military's or just another civilian. This movie was only 74 minutes long because that is all that was on that camera that the government found.

Next time, they can make the movie any length they want.

They could even make a government collection next time where the goverment has spliced some shorter films together.

For example, the first 25 minutes is one person's footage, the next 40 minutes is another person's footage, the next 30 minutes is yet another person's footage, and the last 15 minutes is yet ANOTHER person's footage.

Perhaps in a scenario like that, they could answer, at least, some of our questions. In all honesty, they could make as many POV / real-time films about this subject as there are Godzilla movies.

15. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I actually would rather they not have a sequel. I really like the openness and abruptness of the ending. I like that we don't know anything, I like that hud gives us a large range of possibilities for the creature's origin, any of which could work, most of which have been implied in various other ways. Some things are best left to the imagination. Also, I've seen NYC destroyed probably dozens of times in movies, but never before have I had such a sense that Manhattan is simply lost. That is is gone. To have a sequel would have to show some kind of followup, which I think would probably dull that feeling.

I think a parallel movie is possible, but it would be extremely difficult to pull off. First of all, they would want to have a similar dynamic to this movie, but it could very easily become very repetitive and dull. This movie was very fresh, and there is no reason to turn it into an over used formula before we have to.

If they end up making sequels, methinks that Cloverfield will be comparable to the first Matrix film in the sense that it is a wonderful and complete story on its own, that really wouldn't benefit from farther exploration.

16. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    I just got back from seeing it, and it was a damn good film. I also think the lean, fast-paced style after the attack starts works to the film's benefit. I've heard that movies released in January & February are mostly the studios' drivel flicks that wouldn't survive in the peak seasons, so I didn't think this movie could be any good if it was released in the middle of January. But given the cast of unknowns, I can see that this was probably a wise move, since there's no star power to market it, thus relying on buzz.This was the film that Blair Witch should have been.

I've read some of the complaints about its style over in the Amp forum, and all I can say to that is that it would have been dishonest to "explain" everything within the film's limits, or to soften it with a "Hollywood ending". This is a monster film from the eyewitness perspective on the ground. In fact, I found it clever that the first real glimpse we get of the monster wasn't through the naked eye, it was through a TV monitor that was caught on Hud's camera. This reinforces the hard fact that an eyewitness to an event doesn't always get all the information explaining the situation at the same moment the event happens. They see what they see, act on their instincts, then try to process it all later. Even Blair Witch didn't do that, but I don't remember hearing many people clamor for Blair Witch to have "explained" more within the film footage.

Does anybody know why the woman who played Marlena was the top-billed name in the credits? She's clearly supposed to be a supporting player, so I found it curious that she's named first in the credits.

17. JediPrettyBoy

Jan 10, 2005
    She is probably the most well-known of these, basically, unknowns.

She's Lindsey Lohan's anti-plastics friend in MEAN GIRLS.

18. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I saw is today and I thought it was terrific. The characters were great and felt really....real. Hud was the best character imo. The monster was relentless and at times terrifying. His little minions were just as frightening but their venom is even worse. All in all, an excellent well made movie. I give it **** out of ****.

19. AcklayComeHome

AcklayComeHome Jedi Master star 7

Apr 27, 2002
    She's the only one I recognised. :p

20. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I thought it was awful. I guess the characters felt real. Unfortunately, they were real vapid yuppies who didn't say or do anything interesting or intelligent. The movie certainly had good disaster effects, yes, but I didn't care enough about our characters to want anything more than for it to end.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There is a limit to the runtime inherit to the concept- the movie can't be longer than the life of a camera's battery, unless a character acquires an additional one.

22. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    She was also the hottest. Lizzy Caplan very much reminded me of a girl I go to college with and who I also like (as Hud does Marlena) so I was deeply disturbed when she died.

23. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Actually it's more like the length of a MiniDV tape, which go up to 80 minutes. The running time of the movie was 84 minutes = full tape plus credits. Rob said at the end that they were at the end of the tape. As such, I find it funny that the movie opened stating the footage was recovered from an SD card, whereas it's mentioned several times during as well as the whole concept of recording over footage from a month ago that it was indeed shot on tape.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Was it recovered from an SD card, or is the footage we're watching from a tape transferred to, and now being played back from, an SD card?

25. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I agree. Marlena was the hottest. She's a girl I would have a crush on and want to date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.