main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Untouchable heroes? Or out of touch yobbos?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by MisFitToy, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Uruk, national and Olympic teams must have different rosters! [face_devil]

E_S

2. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    From what I hear, I am willing to bet that no charges will be laid against anyone in the Bulldogs regarding the Coffs Harbour rape allegations.

3. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    Just an update. It There's no case against the Bulldogs. The DPP will not charge the the players in this instance.

People should really hold their tongue and wait until all the facts are known before they run their mouth off. I hope the Doggies sue the arse off all those shock-jock radio stations.

4. -luigi-

-luigi- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2002
    me too.

5. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Like many of you, I have been following these ALLEDGED crimes, starting with the drama which enveloped the Canterbury Bulldogs NRL team, and as the issue spread to the ranks of the AFL.

I find it highly disgusting and offensive that the corporate media of today depicts people accussed of alledgedly committing a crime to be automatically guilty. What has happened to the precept of innocent until proven guilty? It seems now that all objectivity has been lost, and has been replaced with rabid bouts of emotional reporting, to stir up the ignorant masses.

I find it also highly suspicious that all of these allegations have surfaced at the same time. I am dubious to say the least. What if these footballers ARE innocent? What happens to the accusor? Do they just slink back into the shadows? I hope that they are prosecuted for making a false claim (it that is the case that eventuates), and their name made public. After all, the accused are publicly named, if that eventuates to be baseless, then the accusor should be made publicly known as the trollop that they truly are.

I also find it ridiculous that the employer has to be dragged into this. Why is it the responsibility of the employer for an individual's actions? Just because the organisation has a high profile / celebrity status, it should be treated no differently than any other company. There should NOT be a Royal Commission into the two codes (NRL & AFL) which has been suggested.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that rape is a reprehensible crime, and should be severely punished with lengthy jail terms, I just can't stand it when the media portrays people of being guilty. At the start of the crisis, they were only ALLEGATIONS, there was not even a criminal CHARGE layed by police. So if there is no charge, then of course the clubs involved do not have to do anything, or make anything public. They should be endeavouring to protect the reputations of their players.

I wonder if things would be different if a man came out in the media, and said that he was gang-raped by a team of netballers.

If someone does something wrong, especially this wrong, they should be punished. I don't care who they are.

Shara, I wholeheartedly agree.

I've got to say here, that women throw themselves at these footballers like you wouldn't believe.

Uruk-hai, I agree with your statement.

Sportsmen are a popular target world wide for false claims of rape. Wether it be because of money, fame or how they were treated after the act it does happen.

-luigi- I agree. Sexual intercourse may have been consentual, however, when the woman realised that it was just a one night stand, and they weren't something 'special' as they hoped they would be, they get hurt and angry and want to lash out and get revenge by humiliating them publicly.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    and they weren't something 'special' as they hoped they would be, they get hurt and angry and want to lash out and get revenge by humiliating them publicly.

Oh I can tell women love you for your empathy Gath... ;) :p

E_S

7. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    And one other point...I don't know about the DPP in the states mentioned, but in WA just because the authorities decline to prosecute doesn't mean there's no basis to the claims. It's just that the DPP will not take a case to trial unless they are of the view there is a reasonable prospect of a conviction. The expense to the public purse of a trial is horrendous, and public policy reasons dictate that the DPP only takes a decent, well-substantiated case to a hearing.

So I don't know about hanging an accuser up by the...town hall is quite the appropriate response. Actually lying to a court is one thing: it's called perjury, or attempting to pervert the course of justice. It's another thing to say that a person is lying simply because the DPP wants more than one person's word that something has actually happened.

That statement, of course, is in ignorance of the reaons behind why the DPP declined the prosecute, since for present purposes we'll never know if they had evidence that wasn't strong enough for a prosecution, or whether there was no evidence at all.

8. BecJedi

BecJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    God, I can't wait till they ban you again, Gatherer. You make it sound like any woman who claims to have been raped is lying. To quote Saintheart, just because the police ?decline to prosecute doesn't mean there's no basis to the claims.? That is not to say that there was foul play on the footballers part. However, my point here is this: why do you speak of rape in such an offensive, disrespectful way? In doing so you spit on every woman or man who has been raped.

9. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    God, I can't wait till they ban you again, Gatherer. You make it sound like any woman who claims to have been raped is lying.

I NEVER alluded to that at all, and I take offence to that.

Ender_Sai, you may disbelieve it, but I actually am a very empathetic person. I have been supporting a colleague at work all work, who is on the death-throws of a relationship breakup... had her crying on my shoulder a few days this week. I have been supporting her, and giving her advice, and generally being there for her.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I have been supporting her, and giving her advice, and generally being there for her

Ooh, classy, catching a girl on the rebound... [face_shame_on_you] :p

E_S

11. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Ummm... I actually have a girlfriend. Fiona, my friend and now former work colleague who I am emotionally supporting is 42! 15 years older than me, and someone I am not interested in. Not a rebound thing at all, and I am encouraging her to try and save her relationship.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Difficile est satiram non scribere...

E_S

13. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Sorry, I didn't study latin at school! ;)

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's a famous quote from Juvenal.

Google, last time I checked, isn't broken. ;)

E_S

15. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    difficile est satiram non scribere ,

"it is heavy to write (over these conditions) no satire",

Iuvenal, satire I, 30 .

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yup.

So when you wrote about empathy, it was difficult not to satire it; difficile est satiram non scribere.

E_S

17. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Haha... you don't think I am capable of empathy or compassion, do you?! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.