main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Untouchable Sports Records

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by JediANGELA, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999

I need Frank Caliendo to answer this question in his best John Madden voice. [face_mischief]

To me the most impressive is DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak. The changes to the game of baseball have put most of the pitching records out of reach, but a hitting record like this, while still possible to break, will probably never be touched.

Another impressive feat was that after the streak was broken, DiMaggio racked up another 16 game hitting streak. Getting a base hit in 72 out of 73 games is just mind blowing.

2. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    AC Green's consecutive games played streak in the NBA. It's ridiculous. Can't remember the number, though.

Kareem's total points (season+playoffs) of 44,194 points.

Byron Nelson's consecutive PGA tour victories.

3. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    jordan would have broken kareem's record if he hadn't kept retiring. karl malone came pretty close as well. i think that one will fall eventually.

4. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    looking at a few guys who would have the chance if they play consistent... Kobe is ahead of Kareem's pace by 2810 points. Lebron is ahead of Kareem's pace by an amazing 6078 points. Carmelo Anthony is 2329 points ahead of Kareem... Gilbert Arenas is only 496 points behind kareem's pace.

I'm not saying all these guys are gonna pass kareem... but I think the odds are decent that one of them will play long enough to have a shot at it.

5. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    longevity is part of what made kareem's career so amazing, so judging players' chances on their pace while they're still in their 20s seems a bit silly. i do think kobe has a good shot though. he's the kind of player that will hang on too long just to break the record if he gets within a few thousand points of it.

6. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    Tony Dorsett's longest run from scimage = 99 yards.

There is no way a team can start play (on downs) from the end zone.

7. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    yeah I know, but with a record like that, you need an early jump on it, and the only guys who have that early jump are the ones I listed. :p

8. deltron_zero

Feb 1, 2002
    i'm pretty sure iverson is on a pace to break the record, and he's in his thirties. no way his body holds up ten more years though.

9. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    he's actually like 4-5 thousand points behind where kareem was at that age. That's what I'm going by, by the way. Kareem started his pro career at 22 so that's why those younger guys have such a huge jump on him, if they can consistently get 2,000 points a year for a while, they can have the record...

10. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Just like Chris Weike's 99 yard pass with FSU, against Clemson [face_plain]

11. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Ted Williams has one that nobody's likely to touch: 84 consecutive games in which he reached base. That's just darned impressive.

12. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Wayne Gretzky has quite a few of those ;)

I guess his 165 assists in a season might be the most unbreakable of them. Only one other player ever scored as many points in a season. Topping every player but one on assists alone is simply amazing.
    Last season Joe Thornton became just the third player in league history to get two consecutive 90-assist seasons, and that was still over 70 assists behind the record.

Though I guess 50 goals in 39 games, the longest point-streak, most goals in a season, most points in a season, most career point and most career assists won't be topped anytime soon either ;)

13. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Barry Bonds could keep getting walked

14. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    If he couldn't do it when he hit 73 or had an OBP above .600, I don't think it's going to happen. People sometimes have off days and they swing at pitches they shouldn't, or the ump calls a wide zone, or any number of things can stop such a reach-base streak. Ted Williams is the best hitter of all time, bar none, and that streak is a phenomenal feat that's unlikely to be duplicated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.