main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

UP-ping??

Discussion in 'Communications' started by MushroomHead, Jun 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MushroomHead

MushroomHead Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    What is the policy for upping threads, it seems like common practice throughout the boards as a way of keeping popular threads from drowning during short periods of respite.
    I only bring it up as I just read a thread where someone mentioned bans due to the "upping" of threads.
    Is it an acceptable practice? If so is it only for informational threads?
    official threads?
    or just any thread that has mass value or appeal?
    thankyou for the input as I don't wanna go getting banned for supporting my favourite threads.

2. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Anyone can up threads without fear of reprisal.

3. MushroomHead

MushroomHead Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    Thanks,
    now where's that ULTIMATE SURVIVER thread gone? *scratches head*

4. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    In saying that, I think people need to learn how to 'up' properly.

Numerous times in the recent past, I have seen people up a thread that hasnt been posted to for half an hour, or an hour.

People have to realise that you shouldnt be 'upping' a thread that hasnt had a chance to sink. In this case, it becomes a simple case of spam.

Up responsibly, and not simply because you want someone to post in your thread, or somesuch.

5. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    the only problem you would have is if you up old -now 'illegal' threads.

I can't give specific examples, but there have been policies implemented that said, any new thread created.... or any old thread that has been upped is subject to x rule...

Like drunk threads. If you find an older drunken thread and up it, you probably would be questioned.

6. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I guess the unwritten general rule for upping threads is that please up only threads which you feel you would really have wanted to see had you seen it for the first time, and not threads that you up just for the fun of it. In general, please only up threads that are considered classics or have a special significance.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I think the best practice, is onlu up if it isn't on page 1. I've seen some people up a thread that is already ranked about 10th

8. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    Exactly what Dagsy said.

9. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Of course there are exceptions to every rule. Some up-ping can be considered spam. For instance up-ping 10 or 20 old pointless threads. Or if you are the only one posting in your thread or up-ping it needlessly (I would assume there would have to be malicious intent there to be banned for it. BTW up-ping your own threads multiple times in a row with a sock is also frowned upon ;) )

10. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I've seen people up threads that haven't been used for a half hour. This isn't necessary. However, if it is one of the more important threads (such as a Welcome New Members thread), and it hasn't been upped for half a day, then it is ok to up it.

11. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    What some of the others have said.

Upping informational threads constantly isn't going to result in anything happening. We love for that to happen.

If you are digging through old pages and find a good thread, especially when thinking of some recent events, go for it, always nice.

It is when someone sits there and ups a new thread constantly when it has only just slipped off the first page that we start to take concern, since we want to have equal chance at keeping discussions on the first page, but only if a discussion is taking place.

12. jedi-girl

jedi-girl Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2000
    It would be nice if JCC could implement "sticky threads" so important / pertinent would have to be continually "upped" by members.

13. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I used to have the same thoughts on "sticky threads" then I realized that the entire AOTC forum would just be five pages of sticky threads [face_plain]

14. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    I was just about to post a new thread on upping but decided to look and see if there was already one. I don't mind if people up threads at all. I've done it just to stop others from posting redundant threads. I just wonder if the MODS are PMing or banning the people that start a thread and want it to be successful so they up their own threads over and over. this is really tiring. I've given up posting any new ideas as my own thread because I have no desire to be 'known' to have a successful thread and I can always find a perfectly suitable existing thread to post the idea or thought in. anyway, to conclude my ranting, I was wondering if the MODS at least talk to members like this and give them some guidelines to go by.

15. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    It's nice to see that we have a little "variation" of sticky threads now; the headers at the top :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    UP!

(ok maybe that annoyed a few of you :p )

17. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    there was a time during the dark ages here when upping a thread by peons was discouraged, referred to as spamming if there was small talk rather than using the word "up" or "uppers" or even using smilies to move a thread to the top. glad we're in the enlightened times now. [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.